advertisement

Graham Audio LS5/9

Don't get me wrong, to me the SHL5+ isn't fast too. But a bigger speaker like the Graham LS5/8 or Harbeth M40._ will be even slower because of its relatively heavy cone.
I would have to compare them directly. Both the M40 and LS58 are bad design.
and id probably also take a shl5 over both of them.

What most people forget is that the most know how in a bbc speaker is the crossovers that are quite advanced, and that’s why they work so good.

That depends on the motor...
yep
just like i posted a page ago. a 15" is often 2 to 3 times faster then a 8" woofer.
What most people forget is that the most know how in a bbc speaker is the crossovers that are quite advanced, and that’s why they work so good.
fan boy :)
Maybe you should design your own speaker line when you are not shy to call two famous speaker designers making bad speakers)))
my speaker is DIY and i just might!

a quick question. the room acoustic is way more important in the low end then the relative detrimental effects of group delay?

I think that depends on your POV.
IMO/E:
A good room will sound better than a poor room (of course), BUT putting an accurate signal into an average room will sound better than one with excessive LF group delay into a good room. IME the brain is good at "compensating" for the room, but less happy about dealing with a signal with timing issues at LF.

I think that depends on your POV.
IMO/E:
A good room will sound better than a poor room (of course), BUT putting an accurate signal into an average room will sound better than one with excessive LF group delay into a good room. IME the brain is good at "compensating" for the room, but less happy about dealing with a signal with timing issues at LF.
thx! ive began to read about group delay. i admit i never cared much about it since i bought decent speakers. now that i build my own... its super interesting!

yeah, back to the LS5/9
lovely speakers. To me the volt midbass sounded very very nice.

a quick question. the room acoustic is way more important in the low end then the relative detrimental effects of group delay?

Different types of distortion may not mask each other so your "more important" is relative.
Room interference will produce ringing peaks and nulls below the Schroeder frequency. If you address the former the it is likely that group-delay might be more obvious/audible.

Why? The Harbeth m40 driver is the same size as the shl5plus driver, but it is also in a separate small box. And that means it's faster than the same driver in the big 60 liter box of the shl5plus.
id have to audition to both be sure

the shl5 is a bit more efficient and dont drop too low in the impedance making amp matching + SHL5 much easier then with the M40.

Says the man who dragged it off topic with post #249 :)
My post wasn't offtopic, it was related to the difference between the Graham LS5/8 and LS5/9.;)
Beside that, I still see no problem to call for topic, even if I went offtopic too. :)

Why? The Harbeth m40 driver is the same size as the shl5plus driver, but it is also in a separate small box. And that means it's faster than the same driver in the big 60 liter box of the shl5plus.
Not sure that’s correct, shl5 has an 8’’ driver and m40 12’’ I believe. What is the separate box sorry?

Not sure that’s correct, shl5 has an 8’’ driver and m40 12’’ I believe. What is the separate box sorry?
I'll explain. In the Harbeth m40 speakers, the midrange is reproduced by an eight-inch Radial driver, it's in the middle between the tweeter and the bass driver. This Radial driver inside the cabinet has its own volume. That is, there is a small box attached to the front of the enclosure from the inside, in which the midrange Radial driver runs. You can see pictures of how this is set up in various reviews on the Harbeth m40. The rest of the cabinet is for the bass 12" driver. It needs a lot of volume and is slow. And the midrange Radial driver is fast. And it turns out that the midrange in the Harbeth m40 is faster than in the Harbeth shl5plus, where the Radial driver has to play both midrange and bass, so it runs the entire volume of the speaker cabinet.

advertisement

Back