advertisement

Gotham, Van-Damme, Mogami - is there really any difference other than marketing?

I'm in here to confess that on one particular cable for the turntable I spent way far too much in the name of performance gain.
I've been a Silly Billy.
On a brighter note I have learned my lesson and now seriously thinking of doing a course on cable building. I have some money to invest and I see this as an amazing return venture !

Point to the weasel words, 'jaw dropping' claims in the copy.
No one says they shouldn't be allowed to market their product!
It's the BS and corresponding price tags I object to.

What bothers me is how the industry treats audiophiles like idiots. Some might be but not all. In any case you don't have to have any electrical knowledge to know when you are being taken.

Louballoo

On a brighter note I have learned my lesson and now seriously thinking of doing a course on cable building. I have some money to invest and I see this as an amazing return venture !

Great idea, you should get yourself one of these machines - not so much cable making more like therapy!

[YOUTUBE]REU0fx-Yrhs[/YOUTUBE]

Worth noting that Rega recommend and sell the Rega Couple cable, which is made from Klotz AC110 and terminated with Neutrik Pro-Fi plugs, i.e. exactly the same stuff as I use on my bass guitar and very similar to the Gotham you so despise.

Abbey Road are these days are atypical as they run high-end domestic hi-fi as a monitoring rig (Classe amps, B&W speakers). I suspect there is some degree of marketing/promotion involved in this decision, though it's certainly decent kit.
Tried the rega cable also, it's horrible, overly smooth & soft.

Yeah because higher price equals better doesn't it?
I'm glad you're are happy with your cable. I'm more than happy with mine, I suggest you get your Brio looked at.
Many of these sensibly priced-not cheap-cable users are owners of very very good large 'studio monitor' pedigree loudspeakers such as Tannoy, JBL,ATC,PMC-they've got that far using their ears over many years and learned not to buy into the manufacturer/dealer/mag review **** that pollutes this hobby..
The rega is fine otherwise why would it sound superb with the Chord cable, nothing wrong there, tried it in my Rotel system also, same horrible result, the sound degraded as soon as I had this gotham gac nonsense in place.

The studio cable myth continues, the blinkers are on with some on this site, you are basically acting the same way you criticise others for by buying into a mythology regarding this rubbish, it's the same thing, can't you see that.

Nothing will budge you to even try something else for this reason, as I stated earlier it is a kind of inverted cable mythology, buy the worst & get the least out of your system as opposed to what the likes of me are slammed for, buy something a little better (I mean £13 extra, come on) & get an improved sound, you & others who buy into the myth say the opposite, it's the same principal but you are so far down the road believing this hype you can't see it & instead slam others for believing the opposite.

Music replay based on principals instead of musical enjoyment is a backwards way of thinking imo, no need to spend lot's, I wouldn't but this cable is shite.

The studio cable myth continues, the blinkers are on with some on this site, you are basically acting the same way you criticise others for by buying into a mythology regarding this rubbish, it's the same thing, can't you see that.

Then again some of us actually prefer to base our view on actual evidence.

lrt1367, the phono plugs I use on my cables cost more than your £13. Why do you insist that cables people make themselves from good wire and plugs are a cheap alternative? Compared with what? How much of the cost of your Chord is dealer margin, packaging and advertising?

I think you need to learn the difference between the best options and the cheapest - best being determined by most people on here by experience.

Now, about Chord and Kimber...

The rega is fine otherwise why would it sound superb with the Chord cable, nothing wrong there, tried it in my Rotel system also, same horrible result, the sound degraded as soon as I had this gotham gac nonsense in place.

Nothing will budge you to even try something else for this reason, as I stated earlier it is a kind of inverted cable mythology, buy the worst & get the least out of your system as opposed to what the likes of me are slammed for, buy something a little better (I mean £13 extra, come on) & get an improved sound, you & others who buy into the myth say the opposite, it's the same principal but you are so far down the road believing this hype you can't see it & instead slam others for believing the opposite.

Music replay based on principals instead of musical enjoyment is a backwards way of thinking imo, no need to spend lot's, I wouldn't but this cable is shite.

You seem to be the one doing the slamming. The huge and erroneous assumption you are making is I/ we haven't tried something different when the reality is the choice of studio type cables represents the end of a listening journey not the beginning . You need to ask why an electrically benign cable can destroy your amp's usp.

You seem to be the one doing the slamming. The huge and erroneous assumption you are making is I/ we haven't tried something different when the reality is the choice of studio type cables represents the end of a listening journey not the beginning . You need to ask why an electrically benign cable can destroy your amp's usp.
Because it's a load of shite & ruined the sound I was used to, ie, musical, rhythmic with excellent pace & timing, the sound was replaced with a sluggish, one dimensional mess, all crammed together, no space or openness, it was awful. Obviously a few here like this sound, that's fine I suppose. My problem is a lot here suggest buying cables such as this when ever there is a thread to ask for some info, more fool them.

I have just visited the gotham site, it's full of bunk like "this is the cable engineers use to produce wonderful remasters in their studio's" etc.. all marketing hype, much worse than the usual I read from chord & qed for example, this stuff get's slammed as foo when it is shown yet this nonsense never is.

Julf, for example asking for proof & measurements, well I have added some for him to mull over, never read such a load of tosh, cable becoming warm will ruin the sound, I mean, does anyone fall for this stuff.

What happens to its resistance when a metal is heated?

Feel free to google that before answering.
Read the stuff on the website for yourself, it's nonsense marketing hype

What I find laughable is if I had posted a link to the qed or chord website you would be slamming it as foo, hence my reasoning as this stuff has now become myth & legend amongst some here, you will not have anyone say a bad thing about it no matter what it does to the sound of your system.

I will leave it at that as I know the battle ramps are up regarding this stuff so I won't waste my time any longer. If you wish to believe this nonesense on the website, feel free, I decide to think for myself & base my decisions on listening rather than a group mentality & myth.

DILBERT.jpeg

What I find laughable is if I had posted a link to the qed or chord website you would be slamming it as foo, hence my reasoning as this stuff has now become myth & legend amongst some here, you will not have anyone say a bad thing about it no matter what it does to the sound of your system.

I will leave it at that as I know the battle ramps are up regarding this stuff so I won't waste my time any longer. If you wish to believe this nonesense on the website, feel free, I decide to think for myself & base my decisions on listening rather than a group mentality & myth.

You mean like this £1,600 Ethernet cable:

http://www.chord.co.uk/product/chord-sarum-tuned-aray-streaming-cable/

Before you describe temperature coefficients as marketing bunk perhaps you should do some research. Increasing the temp of a conductor will increase its resistance therefore changing the voltage.

It's not marketing shite but simple GCSE physics.

They have a very complicated way to say simple things. I guess all their marketing speak boils down to "you want to minimize cable resistance. In extreme cases, using a cable that is too thin might even cause it to heat up".
Which is basically what every manufacturer says on their website but get's slammed as marketing nonsense on here but not this stuff, you included, it's hypocritical at best, more likely a myth that has no room for criticism as far as the users are concerned.

You mean like this £1,600 Ethernet cable:

http://www.chord.co.uk/product/chord-sarum-tuned-aray-streaming-cable/

Before you describe temperature coefficients as marketing bunk perhaps you should do some research. Increasing the temp of a conductor will increase its resistance therefore changing the voltage.

It's not marketing shite but simple GCSE physics.
It's how they describe the cable becoming warm in the first place that's nonsense.

Plus the usual link to a disgustingly expensive cable to prove a point, when did I say this was ok, I paid £30 for my chord cable if you care to read the posts in advance. I have already expressed my feelings on paying this kind of money as nonsense.

advertisement

Back