advertisement

Gotham, Van-Damme, Mogami - is there really any difference other than marketing?

Looking at pro cables, these three seem readily available... Is there a trend towards one of the brands mentioned or are they all very much the same thing?

(Add Canare, plus a few others) They are all good cables, but specifications and construction vary within and across ranges. All these cables publish mechanical and electrical specifications for things like resistance, capacitance, inductance, impedance and even group delay time. Some of these values are things which do make a difference when they interact with different equipment.

If you know that you want low capacitance, or high inductance or some such, you can select wire to suit. If you don't know, experiment and you'll find out.

Of course, all this may be irrelevant and quantum physics may be needed, but unless you're into £300 a metre, I think you'll find it good enough (-:

Don't know about Gotham, but Mogami & Van Damme cables are constructed differently from each other. Couln't tell you which is better but I use Mogami when making up most of my interconnects.

What is the fascination with studio cables on here, I notice most here always suggest these pro cables used in studio's for hifi use, why is this when there are so many cables available, more cable doesn't equate to more sound or indeed more detail being let through, it seems to me that because it's thick & used in studio's for recording etc.. it has to be the best option because it's cheap.

"Real Man Cable" I call it, Cable for the man who wants his cable to look like cable, big, strong & thick, not cover compensating.

Some of the audio elves are Batman fans, some like toshy action movies starring a short, but muscular Belgian...They argue a lot...

My guess is non of these companies "make" their own cable, cable is made by the mile, not by the metre.
I dare say these companies take off the shelf cable and cover it in a fancy coloured sheath, then they have good quality plugs printed with their logo and voila, a purpose made cable.
I do however understand that cables vary in quality and combined with different systems will produce varying results.
So have a listen, if it sounds good in your system fine, go for it.

cheers Al

What is the fascination with studio cables on here, I notice most here always suggest these pro cables used in studio's for hifi use, why is this when there are so many cables available, more cable doesn't equate to more sound or indeed more detail being let through, it seems to me that because it's thick & used in studio's for recording etc.. it has to be the best option because it's cheap.

"Real Man Cable" I call it, Cable for the man who wants his cable to look like cable, big, strong & thick, not cover compensating.

It's not big or thick! Certainly not compared to most audiophool stuff. I use 1.5mm stuff being one of few modern speaker cables that one can run through the hole in a JR149 baseplate without butchering the speakers.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

I personally don't give 2 s**ts about what studios use, I just want a decently-built cable with insulation that doesn't turn green over time - for that, the brands mentioned above are a safe bet.
It's like beer. You can try smaller breweries if you're feeling lucky - it might taste great, it might taste really bad. If you stick with one of the big brands, you at least know what you get.

Two layers of insulation from Van Damme Blue 4mm speaker cable strip off easily leaving individual red and blue leads. I am quite enjoying it, but the old NACA5 is laying on the floor to use if I get fed up. Different sounds.....

Never tried Gotham But have tried Van Damme and Mogami both to my auld lugs are as good as you will ever need I found the Mogami slightly more musical

I personally don't give 2 s**ts about what studios use, I just want a decently-built cable with insulation that doesn't turn green over time - for that, the brands mentioned above are a safe bet.
It's like beer. You can try smaller breweries if you're feeling lucky - it might taste great, it might taste really bad. If you stick with one of the big brands, you at least know what you get.
Nice comparison :)

I found the Mogami slightly more musical

I agree. My mogami mic cable can actually hit the right notes most of the time, while my van damme speaker cables are mostly only good for the rhythm section. They do a great on English Literature, mind you...

My guess is non of these companies "make" their own cable, cable is made by the mile, not by the metre.
I dare say these companies take off the shelf cable and cover it in a fancy coloured sheath, then they have good quality plugs printed with their logo and voila, a purpose made cable.
I do however understand that cables vary in quality and combined with different systems will produce varying results.
So have a listen, if it sounds good in your system fine, go for it.

cheers Al
So true

It's not big or thick! Certainly not compared to most audiophool stuff. I use 1.5mm stuff being one of few modern speaker cables that one can run through the hole in a JR149 baseplate without butchering the speakers.
http://www.whathifi.com/gotham/gac-1/review

Pretty much summed up my experience with this waste of money though I disagree on one point, the give away cable sounded better to my ears.

It strangled the life out of my humble system & for a mere £13 more got a Chord Cobra plus, no comparison

Why anyone would pay out hundreds or thousands of hard earned on hifi gear to have this link them together is beyond me, the saying to cut of your nose to spite your face couldn't be more apt.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
http://www.whathifi.com/gotham/gac-1/review

Pretty much summed up my experience with this waste of money though I disagree on one point, the give away cable sounded better to my ears.

It strangled the life out of my humble system & for a mere £13 more got a Chord Cobra plus, no comparison

Why anyone would pay out hundreds or thousands of hard earned on hifi gear to have this link them together is beyond me, the saying to cut of your nose to spite your face couldn't be more apt.

It shows how hopeless typical subjective audio reviews are IMO, especially in the low end mags. I've never heard the slightest hint of sibilance or 'muddled' sound from the GAC. They are very evenly balanced cables IMO (certainly not bright), and yes, I've compared them against some vastly more expensive stuff (I owned some Spectral, Deltec, Linn etc). FWIW I'd never trust anything I read in WHF, it's just an advertising rag.

Some folk just love marketing hype though, but that's a whole other thing.

advertisement

Back