advertisement

Golden Ear Test

Brian,

I was planning on giving it a go later, and will post (assuming I can work it out!) later if instructions aren't otherwise forthcoming.
Thanks.

It looks to me so far like I load some files into it and play them from the laptop, probably from the headphone out of the laptop into the naim analogue input. I can't see the point in that since that isn't how I normally play music here, so I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on.

This is looking like a real hassle. I can very easily take an analogue output and a digital output from the Squeezebox and connect both to the Naim to compare the SQ dac versus the built-in naim dac. I can also connect a memory stick to the Unitiqute and offset the music sample by 15 seconds or so to make a comparison of the same music versus both the digital and analogue outputs from the SQ. If I was so inclined, that is.

Brian,

Two things to cover.

Connecting up
==========

You want to avoid using the analogue headphone out - otherwise I imagine any differences will be lost through what is likely to be a very budget connection.

So, does your laptop have an optical output? If it's reasonably modern/hi-spec it might well do, but it may be shared on the headphone output. My Sony Vaio has one and it's labelled Headphone/Optical out.

To use this you'll need one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008N15ON6/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

You may also now need to go into control panel/sounds and make sure the correct settings are selected to play through this output.

Let me know if this makes it all a non-starter.

Playing the Samples
==============

Assuming we get this far (or if you go with an analogue connection anyway just to try it out)...

1. Open the ABX program.
2. Choose File/Setup Test
3. Choose the two WAV files (not the FLACs as it seems to want WAV specifically) using the first two empty slots listed.
4. Using the slider at the bottom choose the section of music you want to you (click and slide - you'll see what I mean). You can play/stop until you have it sorted.
5. Click the ABX button.
6. In the drop-downs choose which file is A and which B.
7. Now you can play A or B.
8. Once acclimatized, play X
9. Choose using the checkbox which you think X is (A or B).
10. Click Next Trial - you're result will be added to the results.
11. Repeat 7-10 as many times as you can bear.

I've given minimal detail, so if you need any further details let me know.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks for your patience, I've set it up in the tool, there is no optical output on any of my laptops so I'm stuffed on that one.

This really does seem a hassle to me and worse, peculiar as well, the comparator being limited to .wav files only for example.

I think the utility is "home grown" or freeware, so built to suit the developer's own needs.

I assume you have no USB DAC?

Brian, I made a video about how to use the ABX program. It's linked on the AudioSmile thread and somewhere earlier in this thread.

I'm just guessing but there may be some app to play system sounds through the squeezebox. If so, that should let you send the ABX program sounds, possibly with a bit of delay. There is a program like that for the airport express.

I think the utility is "home grown" or freeware, so built to suit the developer's own needs.

I assume you have no USB DAC?
No, I don't have an external dac.

I tried about 5 so far but I wasn't able to detect any improvement from them. That was sighted as well. :)

The Naim Unitiqute does have 2 x optical and 2 x coaxial inputs though, so I can route the output of some device through the built in naim dac. I currently use those inputs connected to the DVD machine, Sky box, TV and the Squeezebox.

Brian, I made a video about how to use the ABX program. It's linked on the AudioSmile thread and somewhere earlier in this thread.

I'm just guessing but there may be some app to play system sounds through the squeezebox. If so, that should let you send the ABX program sounds, possibly with a bit of delay. There is a program like that for the airport express.
Thanks Simon, but it looks like the comparator doesn't easily allow for a comparison between components as I had imagined (and expected) it would from what I've been reading on pfm. I want to compare a bare Squeezebox versus the Squeezebox connected to an external DAC (in this case, my Naim Unitiqute) but it appears I can't do it.

The program is for comparing recordings, not external equipment. To do that you need a switch-box.
I gathered. I misunderstood the point. When people speak of the difference between amplifiers and dacs I would never compare files. If I was going to do AB comparisons I would want to be using the equipment and listening to music with and without whatever the new bit is.

Brian, the essence of what Tenson did was to provide an original CD rip as one file (actually four part files joined together into one file), and then played this file through a DAC via analogue interconnect to an ADC which converted the received analogue signal back into a digital (WAV) file. He took the resultant file and did the same ten times.

What we compared were the original, and the file that resulted from the ten passes through this process.

Yeah, I know. I just had this idea the ABX tool Simon has been advising people to use was a more general thing.

Anyway, now I have the comparator I'm going to do a few tests unrelated to this one. It'll take me a bit of time to do what I'm going to try out but I'll post my findings.

Cheers again

advertisement

Back