advertisement

Goddamn effing flickr

Markus S

41 - 29
I want to upload a photo from my own flickr account to a different website. How the effing eff do I find the effing link to the photo?

Since the redesign, I find flickr worse than useless. I'll have to find a new hosting site.

I want to upload a photo from my own flickr account to a different website. How the effing eff do I find the effing link to the photo?

Click on the photo, then on the little sharing box in the bottom right and you can grab the vB code, HTMP or whatever. I seem to be pretty much alone in not having an issue with Flickr since the redesign, and I've not seen anything to like especially about Ipernity or Imageshack. I'm staying put. Save leaving hundreds of broken links here on pfm too (e.g. the old PAW threads will be ruined with folk moving their pics from Flickr).

If there was a sharing box ... I can't seem to find it, and believe, I've wasted a lot of time looking for it. The FAQ says it sits next to the "More" tag, but it doesn't.

****ing flickr ****ing faq ...

Edit:

Ah ... they've created a little logo; now why can't they say this in the "where's the share button" section of their ****ing so-called help?

Click on the photo, then on the little sharing box in the bottom right and you can grab the vB code, HTMP or whatever. I seem to be pretty much alone in not having an issue with Flickr since the redesign, and I've not seen anything to like especially about Ipernity or Imageshack. I'm staying put. Save leaving hundreds of broken links here on pfm too (e.g. the old PAW threads will be ruined with folk moving their pics from Flickr).

Presumably Yahoo are going to ruin plenty of Flickr accounts when they switch off inactive email addresses.

Testing

115448893_f0d2f88608.jpg

Altec 003 by markus_s_555, on Flickr

Ah hah; they want you to advertise flickr by telling people that you're hosting your photos there every single time you're embedding one of your photos. Reason enough for me to avoid them in the future, I think. I'm royally pissed off.

Further edit: and they say so in their "Community Guidelines", which means they can terminate your account if you don't follow their corporate agenda. Bye-ee.

I've never followed any of that, just grab the image link and ditch the rest. It's only to stop people doing high volume image hosting off site.

Ah hah; they want you to advertise flickr by telling people that you're hosting your photos there every single time you're embedding one of your photos. Reason enough for me to avoid them in the future, I think. I'm royally pissed off.

It's always been like that with flickr when you share your photos though, its just a user interface change which you will either like or dislike. I'm happy with the redesign as it works better with the iPad now and if you are an IOS user you will recognise the icons.

Fortunately everyone has a choice and I expect any service wishing to compete with a diaspora of flickr users will build some kind of export/import function into their joining system.

As a habitual photoblgger (and a really awful photographer) I like it. I find It simplifies things for me.

As a habitual photoblgger (and a really awful photographer) I like it. I find It simplifies things for me.

Me too. I notice I'll no longer have to pay for it once my paid subscription times-out too, which is nice. I've no plan ever to upload more than 800 x 600 px so I'm not bothered with copyright etc, not that anything I take is worth protecting anyhow.

I'm very much with Markus on this issue.

I can see that the latest version of the Flickr user interface may well be easier to use on mobile devices. It also probably looks "cooler" and is likely to entice quite a number of users based on demographics of mobile users, where the growth is etc.

But I believe that in order to provide what is an acceptable user interface for mobile/touch devices the user interface on a standard PC screen has been homogenised with the smaller devices. For me (and probably Markus) this is a mistake - as it makes the interface on the PC less intuitive, harder to find and do the same tasks and (probably for the serious photographer) less ascetically pleasing with the "violent" juxtaposition of different styles, sizes etc without borders or context. The latter is very subjective - maybe a died in the wool Warholist might like it being enforced on everyone.

The need for a homogenisation of interfaces regardless of how the devices that they appear on are best used is interesting. I expect a different user interface based on device and task. I can look at the same data on (say) a POS gun, a PC, a tablet and expect a different user interface based on function. Back in the 80s every single PC had a different OS, if they had the same language then each one had a different flavour of the same language, boot up processes were different etc. Even today - I regularly use three different PCs a day...

- HP laptop Win Vista / office v2
- iMac latest OSX office v2 / XP and office v1
- Macbook latest OSX office v3 / Win 7 and office V4

I completely unconsciously switch between each. Use OSX and Windows without thinking.

BUT - quite a lot of people seem to have a huge problem just switching once between a Windows and OSX once - or using Win 8 instead of Win 7.

So I'm not quite sure how much of a problem this is. If I was 15 years younger and had only ever used two PC operating systems I might be thankful for device homogenisation.

However, as someone who wants to do most of his video and picture processing on a PC, having the interface and aesthetics dumbed down and made more irritating to use was very annoying. It's not just "different", it's optimisation for sticky finger is not optimisation for mouse and keyboard. It makes it slower to use. But there are other options out there - so I moved.

Yahoo's move from offering an unlimited £30 every two years to "free" service with a high limit and advertising, and more restrictions on content (no doubt FaceSpace's issues with misogynists a possible issue with advertisers) would suggest that they assume they can make more than £30 every 24 months out of Tony from advertisers. Let's wait and see what that eventually leads to.

(I await the petroleum product backlash where Yahoo bans the viewing of images of vinyl and reference to "record" as being as unseemly as holocaust deniers - OK, a bit silly - but I'm sure we'll see something interesting in the future. Maybe Yahoo will have to cave to middle America on nude photography, or "images of fags, druids, muslims or other non-christian or un-american practices")

I now have no Yahoo accounts in protest. But for each one of me there are no doubt 1,000 new cheap android phone/tablet users who are very happy with the Fischer Price ambience of the new Flickr.

Reason enough for me to avoid them in the future, I think. I'm royally pissed off.

Further edit: and they say so in their "Community Guidelines", which means they can terminate your account if you don't follow their corporate agenda. Bye-ee.
It's always been like that. As Anex says it's easy enough to get around (just paste the bit ending in .jpg with the surrounding img tags)
The new design of flickr is fine with me. It actually makes it less indigestible.
What is unforgivable is the appalling Yahoo menu bar straight out of 1998:
9187173321_d2c05f80e0_c.jpg

right click, select the size you want, wait for it to open then rigth click again and select, 'open in new tab/window' or whatever then copy and paste the url from the new tab/window.

You need a filename with jpg at the end.

It's always been like that. As Anex says it's easy enough to get around (just paste the bit ending in .jpg with the surrounding img tags)
The new design of flickr is fine with me. It actually makes it less indigestible.
What is unforgivable is the appalling Yahoo menu bar straight out of 1998

Yes, that is a bit clunky and a real waste of laptop / tablet screen acreage given so many will have no use for it. The rest I have to admit I'm liking the more I use it. I think I now prefer post-change to how it was before. Sure it's moving more to device-convergence with tablets, iPhones etc, but that's just progress - I can't see many full desktops or high-spec laptops being around in a domestic setting for too long as tablets get evermore powerful and cloud computing becomes the norm. Mass-market IT is changing a lot at present!

I actually have no idea what is going on when I go to Flickr now, and tbh I'm not interested in learning. I'm chalking it up as a fail alongside Iplayer and Tesco self-checkouts moving to category driven interfaces rather than alphabetized lists.

This is what all websites should be modelling themselves on:

http://www.lingscars.com/

No nonsense, just the essentials like bouncing cars and bad singing.

there is plenty of choice to suit all end user needs, its a big world and it all ends up displayed on the same web browser so I don't even see why people get in a huff over changes, if you find a better service, or a change in a service that you dislike, then migrate. I would. I did with MySpace to Soundcloud. The UI has changed, the T&Cs have not.

Testing

115448893_f0d2f88608.jpg

Altec 003 by markus_s_555, on Flickr

Markus,

a Judas Priest album cover (with pin hole burns natch) would be a more aesthetically congruent match for hose bins.

advertisement

Back