advertisement

Glasto 2019

Just watching Wu Tang Clan on BBC4 now.

I have it on good authority that Wu Tang Clan ain't nuttin' to f**k wit'.

Well I enjoyed the Killers, worlds away from Liam in terms of professionalism, although he did make me laugh with the ‘this is shit as well’ lines!

Just finished the Idles set on iPlayer. Excellent stuff IMO, another like The Comet Is Coming that makes everyone else sound like a cabaret act.

Had a music night tonight and finished with Hendrix Star Spangled Banner, Purple Haze, Villanova Junction.
Standing on the shoulders of giants.

saw lewis capaldi the other day on the box, juses he is shocking, then he did a cameo with bastille again flat out of tune and simply boring another case of the record company pushing him and pushing him to try to get a return on their investment truly woeful,

I watched The Comet Is Coming play a really excellent set via iPlayer yesterday afternoon. Althoug I really enjoyed it, I was less impressed by the Sons of Kemet set which sounded a bit thin to me. The jazz offerings were by some distance the best of the offerings from the BBC Glastonbury coverage IMHO. I'm really looking forward to Kamasi Washington today. I expect The Cure will offer their usual festival pleasing set so might give that a try for old times sake.

EDIT: I forgot to mention how good the Low gig was.

Well, I didn’t expect The Petshop Boys.

No one ever expects Pet Shop Boys.... except me.... sorry, but I think they are the best mainstream electronic act outside of Kraftwerk who arguably aren't mainstream anyway.

I will likely get slated, but I thought The Killers set with PSB and Marr thrown in was perfect Glastonbury fare and they are so good at what they do, you may not like it, but they are performers.

Liam Gallagher... hmmm, as much as I love Oasis and I do I am finding the constant goading of Noel by Liam immensely tedious now. He'd be better wondering why his voice is no longer what it was and focusing on his own music. Noel is the more talented half of the duo, it's high time Liam just accepted it.

Kraftwerk would be the ideal main stage headline act, obvs.

I thankfully managed to avoid all things Gallagher.

Yes my thumb has long been off the pulse of modern music and maybe it was like this when I was there in 1990 & 1992 and I have a selective memory of it or am just I'm an old git, but the TV coverage I've seen gives me the feeling that it has become some kind of coffee table greatest hits affair for folks to post on Failbook about.

That said, I'm still looking forward to The Cure tonight. For old time's sake but also to remind myself that this time I won't have to wait through Sinead O'Connor's set before they come on and then try to dance whilst desperately needing a piss.

Roy Ayers will be worth watching. Seen him a couple of times at Ronnies. A great performer with a top band. Everybody loves the sunshine!

Just watching The Comet is Coming on catchup and man, that saxophonist has some lungs

They are one of those rare jazz three-pieces where every member is at an equally improbable jaw-dropping virtuoso level. I first heard them via their studio recordings and naturally assumed the keyboards and some of the drums were sequenced, I was shocked when I dived into YouTube and figured out everything was played totally live. The keyboard player in particular impresses me as I know his kit very well indeed (Roland SH09, Juno 60 and Boss DD-7 delay) as I’ve owned the same in the past. It is simply astonishing what he gets out of it and how staggeringly precise and locked-in his timing is on the 09 bass parts. One of the best keyboard players I’ve ever seen in my life. This really is a stunningly good band IMO. I would love to see them release a live album as to my mind the Boiler Room sessions and this recent Glastonbury performance easily beat their studio albums.

advertisement

Back