advertisement

Glasto 2019

PS. As much as he's a bit of a creepy sleazeball, I really enjoyed Jeff Goldblums set.

Consummate musicians his band.

Perhaps.

But she can't sing , can't write, and is just a manufactured icon for the mainstream misled masses as far as I'm concerned.

I don't do "right on" for the sake of it. Never have done.

One saving grace. At least the Spice Girls weren't headlining
The music scene works because we all have our own tastes in music. Just because Kylie is not my thing I can respect others feel differently.

I cannot grasp jazz music, I prefer Kylie to be honest but fully understand it's a well liked genre.

Being a snob about it is just ignorant & makes you look like a dick.

Tenuous link but I think it was 1990 when I saw a middle-aged bloke riding around in the green field on a small bike (Brompton type thing) stark bollock naked, happily telling everyone that today was go naked day.

I bought a Baby Metal CD when we were in Japan last year (god daughter was a fan). Found it a bit hard to listen to tbh.

So...Stormzy...

I got a little flak earlier for not appreciating on Friday...but have to admit I turned off after the first couple of songs....thought it was crap.

So just watched the whole set again. OK, I was wrong. Bits of it are OK... but only bits.

Completely confused how gospel choirs sit with the 'Know me from', and Chris Martin ballads and ballet... Just seems like a completely messed up, directionless, over choreographed, you-tube clip marketing (namedropping a load of music making mates? What's that about?) extravaganza.

Still didn't do it for me I'm afraid...but I gave it a try.

Just finished watching Janelle Monae.
For me, the second best set (after the Cure) of this year's Glasto.

Killers and The Cure were both great entertainment with good sound. Loved the PSB and Marr appearances.

My daughter told me to watch Billie Eilish. I thought she was excellent, a very charismatic performance from a teenage kid. Musically, it's something of a cross between Lorde and The XX. Worth watching.

I just can't get on with that wig-out jazz stuff at all. Also, Tim out of The Charlatans hair does not get any better!

So...Stormzy...

I got a little flak earlier for not appreciating on Friday...but have to admit I turned off after the first couple of songs....thought it was crap.

So just watched the whole set again. OK, I was wrong. Bits of it are OK... but only bits.

Completely confused how gospel choirs sit with the 'Know me from', and Chris Martin ballads and ballet... Just seems like a completely messed up, directionless, over choreographed, you-tube clip marketing (namedropping a load of music making mates? What's that about?) extravaganza.

Still didn't do it for me I'm afraid...but I gave it a try.
Stormzy is not really aimed at the likes of our age group but I can appreciate the interest in him.
His set was precisely as it should have been considering the genre. Full on energy.

He is a lovely guy too.

Couldn't disagree more strongly! The dicks are the ones who take this perverse attitude that "everything's good cos someone somewhere likes it"... It's not. I regard those who have a problem with the likes of the spice girls/"whatever other shite" getting flak, all the "you'd like it you weren't so old" types, as complete.... "insert string of invective and swearing here"
I was around 11 when the sex pistols arrived on our screens. My parents just could not grasp how I could possibly enjoy god save the queen by these upstarts. They thought I needed therapy, which of course made it all the more enjoyable.

Music is good to those who enjoy it, it's that simple.

You not liking the likes of Kylie does not make Kylie's music bad, it's only bad to those who dislike it.

it's not aimed at any age group - I'm 53, and listen to grime, drill, hip hop, reggae, jungle, drum and bass.
I would say in the main it's the younger generation who enjoy Grime, some of which I enjoy, but drill, no thanks.

On a personal level. I just can't relate to modern stuff like that. Guess I'm just not hip (and yeah I do not have tattoos)

advertisement

Back