advertisement

Ghastly expressions you want to see the back of in 2011

'Journey' can be a useful expression, either for a literal travelling experience, or perhaps for a personal 'voyage of discovery' sort of concept, but it's most definitely overused now. The airport management might have had reason to look at the 'passenger journey' for its own analysis (wait times, choke points, maximising shopping uptake, that sort of thing) but that needn't and shouldn't translate into something the public actually has to read or see. For passengers, it's less of a 'journey' and more a 'test of endurance'. Calling it a journey just makes it worse.
Choke point is my reaction to the signage..;)

useful when I am decluttering a workflow
Obviating disbenefits.

( A phrase I invented in responding to a question posed by the lecturer during an interminable construction-law lecture. I reiterate now to illustrate how every discipline tends to adopt and adapt abstruse language - often purely to inhibit communication to its own 'in-crowd.'

i.e. to opacitate the bleedin' obvious.

- & such behaviour is pure bullshit)

ref: Also see ' verbing weirds language':

verbing.jpg

Not sure if it has been said, but "life hack", just terrible. It is just a way of doing something, often no more than common sense.
Oh, that's a wonderfully misapplied phrase I take as a positive flag of the 'desperate-to-big-up their crappy social media profile' - since the promoted idiocy is very often, of less value than common-sense... (along with the idiotic icon and inevitable soy-face expression 'shopped-in.*)

* or about 98% of youtube suggestions.

The leadership of my employing organisation have almost instantly and irritatingly started "leaning in". I know an ex Facebook leader wrote a book with that title several years ago but was at a company conference today and both speakers repeatedly mentioned we need to "lean into" stuff. Even our CEO was was reported mentioning it by the FT this morning with the observation that "leaning in" too far will cause one to topple over!!

Oh, that's a wonderfully misapplied phrase I take as a positive flag of the 'desperate-to-big-up their crappy social media profile' - since the promoted idiocy is very often, of less value than common-sense... (along with the idiotic icon and inevitable soy-face expression 'shopped-in.*)

* or about 98% of youtube suggestions.
Eloquently put Martin, I agree wholeheartedly.

Any company or authority that says
“We’d like to take this opportunity to apologise”
Well £u<k off because the phrase should be
“We are sorry”
Or the politicians' favourite: 'I'm sorry if I have caused any upset when I did stuff' rather than 'I'm sorry for doing the stuff'.

advertisement

Back