advertisement

Ghastly expressions you want to see the back of in 2011

Users of "Badda Bing" should be summarily executed (although you don't hear it so often now, still you can't be too careful)

I was once stuck in a van on a long journey with someone who would say "Badda boom badda bing it's a beautiful thing" every time he liked something. I wanted to kill him after about 30 miles.

"Across the piece" ???

TLAs - three letter acronyms used by people who are too lazy to type or enunciate.

"Shed loads" I believe this comes from traffic reports, indicating that turnips or whatever (add "Whatever" to the list, please) have fallen from a lorry. Now used to indicate a large quantity.

"seckertary" as popularised on BBC News.

Any expression that I have used briefly with the intent of appearing "ahead of the game" (add that, too) , and subsequently jettisoned as it entered popular parlance.

And that's just "the tip of the iceberg" - ah, another "one for the scrap heap". STOP.

"Shed loads" I believe this comes from traffic reports, indicating that turnips or whatever (add "Whatever" to the list, please) have fallen from a lorry. Now used to indicate a large quantity.

I think 'shed loads' is actually a euphemism for 'shit loads' to mean 'more <whatever> than you can shake a stick at'.

Aha. That makes sense, too. I have heard "shed load" of potatoes on the M1 being announced on the wireless however.

Ah, but that's using 'shed' as a verb rather than a noun: 'a lorry has shed its load of turnips' as opposed to 'do you want to buy a turnip, I've got a shed load back home'

People who say "yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah" before you have finished what you are saying. It's so ignorant I have had to reprimand the culprit on several occasions. Where did this come from; an American film perhaps?

Actually the traffic report said "There is a shed load of turnips on the M1". Past participle acting as adjective, if I recall my grammar of 40 years back.

'take care' the telly weatherwoman told me to today.

'bubeye' another one says.

and now on r5 live its time for 'your news' a twat r5 dead presenter says.

all of them can f**k off.

'Nightmare in a bubble-car', 'over-clubbed it' & almost everything Charlie Cox says during his Moto GP 'commentary'.

Try watching the BBC4 Comedy Twenty Twelve, it is full of them is it.

"The Thing About it is....."

DS

images-2.jpg

advertisement

Back