advertisement

Getting the best out of a Rega DAC (or any Dac)?

It's still full of switched mode supplies downstream from the battery, probably several of them.

When Peter Stockwell came in Feb we compared the netbook powered by the mains with it powered by its battery. The latter was worse.

This actually surprised me.

When Peter Stockwell came in Feb we compared the netbook powered by the mains with it powered by its battery. The latter was worse.

I know you're a clock sync addicted, but maybe you should give it a try one day with optical.
:)

Michael

That actually is surprising -- I've never compared the two. I usually use the battery on my MBA solely out of not wanting to lug the power supply around (it's usually fully charged from work).

I do remember a stereophile review of the dacmagic where someone from CA replied to the review and showed how the power supply on the laptop grossly increased jitter. When the battery was used, the jitter levels decreased significantly.

Wait, here, found it: http://www.stereophile.com/content/cambridge-audio-azur-dacmagic-da-converter-manufacturers-comments

You could try an Hiface two, it's the cheapest XMOS based DDC I know of and it's actually very good for the money. You can also add an Aquvox PSU and see if it further improves.

Impedance must be considered alongside the circuit being driven, not in isolation, and sometimes it matters in a material way and sometimes it doesn't. It certainly isn't going to matter with any normal method of digital transport such as CD drive, soundcard or macbook digital output.

Impedance must be considered alongside the circuit being driven, not in isolation, and sometimes it matters in a material way and sometimes it doesn't. It certainly isn't going to matter with any normal method of digital transport such as CD drive, soundcard or macbook digital output.
I'm not entirely convinced that potentially high-ish impedance batteries would give the same results as a decent mains derived supply. Not all batteries are created equal, not only high impedance but noisy too. Picking the right battery isn't necessarily simple. A computer as a transport has so many noisy supplies you'd expect battery vs mains to be irrelevant, but it sometimes isn't IME.

Not right at all. no voltage, no sound, high voltage chip gets destroyed. Irrelevant is clearly the wrong word.

Fluctuating voltage, sagging voltage?

Iirc the Adm9s are designed so that the power sags with a load. No wonder they sound so dynamically flat (imho.)

Assuming the netbook was just out-putting digital data, either wired or wirelessly, it would surprise me too, very much.

Thinking about Maxflinn's contributions, I've been trying to work out the best way to deal with them.
One has to suppress the knee jerk reaction to respond rudely or to argue, as this just provides fuel for further pointless contributions.

So, I think it best to "hook" one's "adult" side and not respond.

And this is my suggestion/challenge.

Please do not respond to Maxflinn, just ignore him - pretend he hasn't posted and just get on with the thread. Otherwise threads end up in a childish war of words, not helpful, not fun, not interesting, just irritating.

Treat it as a challenge ......

Go on you know you can .......

Cheers

Ian

Thinking about Maxflinn's contributions, I've been trying to work out the best way to deal with them.
One has to suppress the knee jerk reaction to respond rudely or to argue, as this just provides fuel for further pointless contributions.

So, I think it best to "hook" one's "adult" side and not respond.

And this is my suggestion/challenge.

Please do not respond to Maxflinn, just ignore him - pretend he hasn't posted and just get on with the thread. Otherwise threads end up in a childish war of words, not helpful, not fun, not interesting, just irritating.

Treat it as a challenge ......

Go on you know you can .......

Cheers

Ian

Thank you for sharing you opinion. I wish you well in you sticking to what you propose.

Sorry I am ignoring any attempts to create or modify other peoples behaviour a bit gang like isn't it.

advertisement

Back