advertisement

Getting the best out of a Rega DAC (or any Dac)?

Do you think that if I went to a few of your audio meetings that I'd start believing that digital cables can affect audio quality? And that one method of transport of digital audio data in the digital domain can lead to better sound quality than another?
Never dreamt that for a moment, I actually just wanted to see how deep your denial was as I haven't studied your kind in the flesh before

Feel free to convert the perceptions (which are the result of expectation bias) of those you make money from into lucrative internet myth if you want, but please don't try to use the fact that I'm educated enough to know that that's what's happening, and thus refuse your invitation, to discredit what I say on the subject under discussion here.

Thanks.

Educated? Your most ironic post to date - good one!

I am in the same position (Brio r and Rega DAC) as thebiglebowski and would greatly apreciate it if someone with a first hand experience of the same set up could chime in with their opinions.
Personally I was considering adding an Apollo R to replace the Harman Kardon DVD player I currently employ as CD trasnport into the Rega DAC. Critical listening is done with a MacbookAir and HiFace Two as transport and background music streaming with an AirportExpress.
Bits may be bits but to my ears and in my system (Harbeth P3es2) the three different sources do not sound the same, the Hiface two easily beats the other transports and, since I'm not going to forsake the convenience of the AirportExpress, I feel the real weak link to be the HK DVD player.

Never dreamt that for a moment, I actually just wanted to see how deep your denial was as I haven't studied your kind in the flesh before

Educated? Your most ironic post to date - good one!
You believe that digital cables affect sound quality, as does the method of digital transportation in the digital domain, and I'm in denial?

You believe that digital cables affect sound quality, as does the method of digital transportation in the digital domain, and I'm in denial?

He said noise in the digital domain, whilst it may not affect the data itself it may affect the conversion process from digital to analogue.

Is this a bit too nuanced or something?

I use the optical out on the Mac mini connected to the Rega via a QED optical interlink with a toslink/3.5mm adaptor on the Mac mini end.

I did look at USB but don't think the rega supports v2 as it is only 16/48. I assume that also means it isn't asynchronous?

He said noise in the digital domain, whilst it may not affect the data itself it may affect the conversion process from digital to analogue.

Is this a bit too nuanced or something?
Which is indicative of a problem with the DAC, not the method of transport.

And it's highly unlikely to be audible, according to the link that Peter posted.

Do try to keep up ;)

Yes your denial prevents you correctly reading or else understanding what is being said & each post you make is another brick in that wall of denial.

I use the optical out on the Mac mini connected to the Rega via a QED optical interlink with a toslink/3.5mm adaptor on the Mac mini end.

I did look at USB but don't think the rega supports v2 as it is only 16/48. I assume that also means it isn't asynchronous?

An HiFace Two seems a sensible upgrade option. If you buy one s.h. you can painlessly pass it on in case you don't like it or decide you want more

Are you stating that digital cables can affect audio quality?

That was answered by Clive some time ago - do try to keep up or just try to educate yourself about the basics of all of this.

You show no interest in learning anything so why should anyone waste their time on you?

Ian, Steve, Tony & others are correct - you're just on here for the laugh - you get no more of my time!

That was answered by Clive some time ago - do try to keep up or just try to educate yourself about the basics of all of this.

You show no interest in learning anything so why should anyone waste their time on you?

Ian, Steve, Tony & others are correct - you're just on here for the laugh - you get no more of my time!
So digital cables do affect sound quality, in your opinion? I wouldn't buy any product that you were involved in making then.

You started the put-downs and casting of aspersions, John, not me, I prefer polite debate.

You get no more of my time!

Max if you want to argue about cables start your own thread otherwise feel free to add to the CURRENT TOPIC.

So digital cables do affect sound quality, in your opinion? I wouldn't buy any product that you were involved in making then.
I'm actually flattered - in your strange logic that puts me in the same category as JohnW (who also knows that digital cables effect the sound). I certainly don't deserve (or even consider myself) this categorisation but thank you anyway for this.

Max if you want to argue about cables start your own thread otherwise feel free to add to the CURRENT TOPIC.
I did add to the current topic, and was told that I was brainwashed, deaf, lacking knowledge, winding people up, inexperienced, in denial, spouting rubbish, and owned a crappy HiFi :rolleyes:

Don't you just love the tolerance for different opinions on here ;)

Anyway, I'll bow out of this one.

I'm actually flattered - in your strange logic that puts me in the same category as JohnW (who also knows that digital cables effect the sound). I certainly don't deserve (or even consider myself) this categorisation but thank you anyway for this.
Oh you're in the same category as JW alright, don't you worry about that ;)

Now, out of respect to the OP, I'm really out :)

advertisement

Back