advertisement

Get thee an elna silmic....

I basically know what a resistor does, and looks like. I know there is a base, collector and emitter.

Could you please let me know where I can buy these resistors? They sound interesting :)

Thanks, Andy

Originally posted by BobMaximus
Could you please let me know where I can buy these resistors? They sound interesting :)

Thanks, Andy

He's obviously talking about those new fangled transconductance resistor thingies.

Simon

You can’t actually purchase them yet.

They where developed by the Pentagon as space saving devices, they are used in equipment used for covert operations. An interesting fact about them is they are not only non magnetic, but also are undetectable to radar.

Hi Richard and everybody,

Sorry for the slow reponses.

The RN55 / 60 types are the ones you want, the 1% will be a good general purpose resistor for many things, there's no need in most locations for greater precision.

If you search mouser for part numbers starting RN60Dxxxxx or RN60Cxxxx you should find the right ones. Note these are 1/4W rated but are physically larger than most 0.6W resistors, indicating the different spec / derating curves for these (they are more conservatively rated).

The C and D types are different tempco, let me confirm that they are identical from a non-mag perspective before ordering any...

For a BC resistor replacement (e.g. preamps) the RN60's will be to large, I think as they need 11-12 mm hole spacing and the body is about 4mm dia. The RN55's should be better here, being smaller / shorter (they are 1/8W rated).

The 1% tolerance will be fine - you'll see the difference in prices as you go up the tolerance ladder!

Andy.

Thanks Andy - I'll wait for you to confirm. I'll probably then work out a heap of values and get a load in as part of the group buy if anyone's interested?

I assume that the (££££+) bulk foils are still better for certain positions?

Yes, these ae best for critical locations, like the main feedback in a power amp, for example.

Anyone tried greater precision R's in the gain stage feedback of the preamps?

Andy.

A bit slow on the uptake, but I finally applied some silmics to the Nait-2's preamp stage FB loops.

Wow - Ced is right on the mark in his description of what it does. I'd say the magnitude of the improvement is right up there alongside fitting an ALW Supper-reg to the preamp supply. It's very obvious despite my stinking head-cold.*

Martin

*As an aside, why is it, when illness forces you to laze about leaving the time to just sit down and listen, it's the last thing ya want to do? Today I was so disinclined that I got around to taking the amp apart...

advertisement

Back