advertisement

General Election 2024

There is a massive (and growing) problem with over-tourism. And that is largely a consequence of the internet. In days gone by, you took out your Kodak, took a few snaps, sent them off to Boots, and two weeks later your prints would come through. You would then lovingly add them to your photo album and bore the pants off every visitor for the next six weeks. Now you stick them on Facebook, ten of your mates think ‘wow, what an amazing place, I must go there,” and repost, then ten of their mates etc etc…

But I agree, the Malthusian overpopulation theory is long discredited. Take a look at some of the most densely populated places on the planet- Japan, The Netherlands, Hong Kong et al. Although unevenly distributed, they are amongst the wealthiest places in the world.

Let's not forget the tax candy responsible for low-cost flight tickets vs. train travel in Europe...

"In Europe, airlines pay no taxes on kerosene and little tax on tickets or VAT. Their emissions are only priced for flights within Europe – at a level below the social cost of carbon."

Apropos of absolutely nothing but it made me smile.

c1fHoOm.png

2BN to 8BN in a hundred years, or a fraction of a blink of an eye. I don’t believe it’s a red herring. At a macro level, it doesn’t matter if places are rich or poor, the global number counts. Just basic consumption of food, water, shelter, clothing etc is a major issue, let alone discretionary / over consumption. Yes, we need to walk more, it’s clear we don’t do enough of it. Dirty great SUV’s talking kids half a mile to school etc, totally ridiculous.

I can't find the source right now but I remember reading that the footprint of a child from a developed country is equivalent to that of something like 6(?) children from a developing nation.

Repulsive fluff piece in the Guardian on Labour fixer Morgan McSweeney. Just gross. The redeeming feature is that the Guardian politics desk are so starry eyed over would-be alpha males like McSweeney that they do sometimes inadvertently tell the public what their heroes have been up to, assuming that everyone will be impressed as they are. I don’t know, I’m not sure this will sound great to most normal people:

‘When McSweeney arrived in the leader of the opposition’s office after Starmer’s leadership victory, he was methodical in ensuring that Corbyn supporters were removed from every lever of power inside the party, from the general secretary’s office to the most minor committee. He was determined, allies say, to get rid of any obstacle to the total power of the leader, whether that be opponents on the national executive committee, malcontents in Labour HQ or awkward votes at party conference. Early in his sights was Richard Leonard, the party’s leader in Scotland. Rebecca Long-Bailey was swiftly out of Starmer’s shadow cabinet. And then, Corbyn himself.’

I mean…

Repulsive fluff piece in the Guardian on Labour fixer Morgan McSweeney. Just gross. The redeeming feature is that the Guardian politics desk are so starry eyed over would-be alpha males like McSweeney that they do sometimes inadvertently tell the public what their heroes have been up to, assuming that everyone will be impressed as they are. I don’t know, I’m not sure this will sound great to most normal people:

‘When McSweeney arrived in the leader of the opposition’s office after Starmer’s leadership victory, he was methodical in ensuring that Corbyn supporters were removed from every lever of power inside the party, from the general secretary’s office to the most minor committee. He was determined, allies say, to get rid of any obstacle to the total power of the leader, whether that be opponents on the national executive committee, malcontents in Labour HQ or awkward votes at party conference. Early in his sights was Richard Leonard, the party’s leader in Scotland. Rebecca Long-Bailey was swiftly out of Starmer’s shadow cabinet. And then, Corbyn himself.’

I mean…

It is bad, but tbh as sad as it is I expect that a lot of the voting public are sufficiently convinced by the Corbyn = bad mantra, and of course more importantly the Corbyn’s policies = bad message, that it won’t seem like a bad thing to the majority of people who weren’t already disaffected with Labour.

It is bad, but tbh as sad as it is I expect that a lot of the voting public are sufficiently convinced by the Corbyn = bad mantra, and of course more importantly the Corbyn’s policies = bad message, that it won’t seem like a bad thing to the majority of people who weren’t already disaffected with Labour.
I’ve said it often but the main ideological role of the Guardian is to make sure that the vast majority of Labour Party members remain in the dark about what the Labour right are actually like. Most members are passive, soft left, low information, decent types who assume that the people in charge are the much the same as they are. Articles like this are laughing in their faces: revelling in the stitch-ups, the lies, the rule-breaking, the political knifings. I really think they - and Guardian readers generally - are not going to be impressed with this kind of thing.

this is a most depressing thread without a glimmer of positivity.

And here was simple old me thinking the Tories losing the election was “a good thing”.

How stupid was I?

.djb
Yes, but at least the campaign itself by the parties is such a positive vision of our future 🙄

this is a most depressing thread without a glimmer of positivity.

And here was simple old me thinking the Tories losing the election was “a good thing”.

How stupid was I?

.djb
As I say, some hope for the other side of the election, thanks to the British public being pretty progressive on the whole. Elections aren’t the be all and end all, and tend to encourage a bleak assessment of the country because 1) the focus is on our revolting media-political class, who are very unrepresentative of the rest of the country, and 2) both main parties are laser focused on maybe a hundred thousand voters in marginal seats who are undeniably complete ****s. Those two things are undoubtedly very bad in themselves but they also make Britain look a lot worse than it is.

I’ve said it often but the main ideological role of the Guardian is to make sure that the vast majority of Labour Party members remain in the dark about what the Labour right are actually like. Most members are passive, soft left, low information, decent types who assume that the people in charge are the much the same as they are. Articles like this are laughing in their faces: revelling in the stitch-ups, the lies, the rule-breaking, the political knifings. I really think they - and Guardian readers generally - are not going to be impressed with this kind of thing.

It would be understandable if people voted based on what they see in front of them but that is not the case in these (rural midlands) parts: the number of immigrants in our and surrounding villages is miniscule yet people appear to have voted for Brexit by a huge majority and that was about "taking back control of our borders" to stop those damned foreigners coming here. They don't see it around them, they read about it in their newspaper of choice and will no doubt be voting heavily for the Nostalgia Party aka Reform at the GE.

It is somewhat reflected in voter preferences - climate is 5th according to YouGov (and somewhat behind the top 4: cost of living, health, the economy and immigration). And because many are just trying to survive these days, short-term needs like paying the bills trump things like climate change (currently seen by voters as yet another cost). Brexit was a one-off referendum rather than an election so it's hard to make a direct comparison but yes voters are often malleable, emotional and illogical - and struggle with complex topics. One reason why citizen assembles should be introduced.

The levels of ignorance on politics I hear around me are beyond belief.

"Nigel could be our next president."

"Starmer will force us to put illegal immigrants in the spare bedroom."

I have to admit to some doubts about the latter. Surely not.

🫣

advertisement

Back