advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

Apparently 60% of our electricity supply is generated from gas powered power stations.

And Germany have had to increase production from their coal fired PSs — now accounting for over half their production. Meanwhile Kosovo have had to introduce 2 hour rolling blackouts…

Yes it is confusing.

I think they - whoever 'they' are - use a figure based on some sort of average household consumption rate, so they should qualify it by stating "for the average household" or whatever it actually is.

this is interesting - well I think so :): www.onaverage.co.uk

The problem is that rates vary depending on things like energy region, method of payment etc., and then, it's based upon 'Typical Domestic Consumption Values' (aka 'typical use'), defined by OFGEM currently as 2900 kWh Electricity/12000 kWh Gas. It doesn't help that MSM sometimes (often?) omits the 'typical use' part when reporting a cap of £1277.

And without that very very very expensive infrastructure you'd have no supply.

All infrastructures are expensive to install and costly to run and maintain so be grateful! The stuff that goes through or over this you pay for what you use. Very simple really.

Totally disagree, Lewis. All infrastructure has installation and maintenance costs. Other infrastructure (transport, fuel etc.) is priced into costs as used.. The only difference is that homes are captive and you can't do anything about how energy and water is charged. What, I ask you, is the correlation between wholesale energy costs and maintenance costs? Yet the two are entwined by concurrent price rises.

A few years ago one could get tariffs which excluded standing charges so the precedent has been set and, I think, endorses my argument. However, there haven't been such tariffs for a couple or more years now. I wonder if buy-to-let and its concomitant void periods had anything to do with the demise of those accounts.

Last edited:
Stayed with friends over New Year. They have a very nice contemporary house which has an A rating on the EPC. Recently installed an air source heat pump, which is sucking electricity out of the grid like there’s none tomorrow. The smart meter is saying £20 a day, that’s £7K a year, to run an A energy rated house! When you think of people installing these things in badly insulated houses, it’s bonkers, they just won’t work.

EPC's are not worth the paper they are written on nowadays. It's a totally outdated methodology invented by some boffins at the BRE back in 2007 when gas was so much less expensive than electricity. They need to move the goalposts some.

Apart from that, modern new builds are so well insulated that installing an air conditioning unit to prevent your blood boiling in a hot globally warmed summer will become duh riguer in the not too distant future.

Insulate Britain?

Hmm.

Yeah but. Entropy is not reversible, apparently. Something to do with the law of physics.

Last edited:
The internet is a dangerous place when you start believing in what you can read there. Especially when you then end up quoting it as factual.

Like Chinese Whispers. Gone Wrong.

EPC's are not worth the paper they are written on nowadays.

Indeed, and they were always a rudimentary tick-box inspection. The flat I had a new EPC for 18 months ago had an overall rating lower than when I bought it 6 years previously. Despite everything remaining the same except for uprated (LCD ?) lighting everywhere and a complete electrical overhaul. When I asked why, he said the the marking parameters had changed. I just think that the rating is also subject to the vagaries of human evaluation and interpretation.

I'd imagine that an A rated property must be almost hermetically sealed and I wouldn't fancy living in one. Open a window in winter and that's the rating compromised. About time they came up with a real world representative system. I can understand tightening this aspect for rental properties, where tenants don't get much of a say (and these ARE tightening; drastically) but if buying and selling, it's a fairly valueless guide and, I understand, rarely if ever a deal-breaker, or even negotiation basis. Caveat emptor has always applied here.

I gather the environmental labels applicable to many white goods have recently changed (and ostensibly 'downgraded'), adding confusion just when the general public have come to terms with the status quo ante.

Stayed with friends over New Year. They have a very nice contemporary house which has an A rating on the EPC. Recently installed an air source heat pump, which is sucking electricity out of the grid like there’s none tomorrow. The smart meter is saying £20 a day, that’s £7K a year, to run an A energy rated house! When you think of people installing these things in badly insulated houses, it’s bonkers, they just won’t work.

There is something wrong then. I’ve an old detached house from 1926 and the asph gets it warm well under euro 10 a day in December. Euro 10 includes other energy consumption too.

Apparently we are moving to a world where we will have to keep our windows open to keep COVID out. Good ventilation is key to our safety, so I was told by a man on BBC R4 this morning. So much confusion and so many contingent contradictions.

Yeah but. Entropy is not reversible, apparently. Something to do with the law of physics.
Thats not quite true. Have you not come across endothermic chemical reactions or performed the rubber band stretching experiment. In both cases entropy decreases.

Remember entropy is a measurement of disorder.

Fun,

DV

Wowser! How big was the house?!

Wowser! How big was the house?!

It’s not ridiculous, under 3,000 sq ft, probably closer to 2,500. On the north Devon coast so the air ‘should’ be a little warmer than average for the UK. Bloody thing was noisy as well as ugly.
I’m hopefully moving to a place which has a brand new, tried and tested, Vaillant gas boiler and very pleased it hasn’t got a heat pump to be honest.

Good Afternoon All,

My current Octopus Go tariff is due to expire on January 14th, just EM's them yesterday to confirm I'm rolling over to the new Go tariff..............

Regards

Richard

Another one of those installs that makes my blood boil. The installer should be named/ shamed and then publicly executed.......................... It is so easy to sort stuff like this out if only we had an administration capable of doing so.

Regards

Richard

advertisement

Back