advertisement

Gas and Elec cost in the UK

Dan K

pfm Member
This might have been discussed before but what are people actually paying per kWh or ft^3, M^3?

My latest Gas bill is massive and I've used the same amount as normal (300ish ft^3)

I have a feeling that EDF have charged me for cubic metres insted of feet.

Answers please

It should state on their bill what unit they are using to match the meter and a conversion to kwh if its not kwh already.

Gas is 14.9p per day standing charge and 4.15p per kwh (exc vat)

Electricity is 16.10p per kwh on a key meter (it was already here when I moved in so I left it as is)

We use EDF and I have recently become fed up of them unilaterally upping the direct debit so I keep meaning to look at it , hopefully wise pfmers will not save me hours .

I don't get bills anymore. All done via the website and that's not really making things clear

Try being on bottled LPG for central heating across this "winter" - £500 a bloody month on gas alone. I might as well burn tenners to warm us up.

I can't recommend these guys highly enough, they have a choice of two simple contracts.

http://www.ovoenergy.com/

Also, they provide either 15% green or 100% green electricity ... when I switched last year their 15% contract was actually the 2nd cheapest in general shown on uswitch and the 100% was just £60/year more! A very small premium for putting my money where my eco mouth is!
Darren

Incidentally, we could cut costs overnight and permanently without complicated legislation or new regulators. We should simply insist all energy companies must offer ONLY a flat rate per kWh and per cubic metre of gas, like petrol stations. It's opaque pricing that is allowing them to rip us off ... make it transparent and let the market do what it does best. End of.
Darren

Darren

I purchased electricy and gas for 12 years and was a member of the Main Energy Users Council for a similar period.

The pricing structure of electricity is made up of 4 parts, wholesale, retail, distribution and tax.

The only bit that makes a real difference is the retail side of it, the other 3 are virtually fixed either by cut throat competition or statute.

Your point about a fix rate will never stand up.

Some people are ideal customers, they pay by direct debit and never miss a payment.

The worst customer is those who do not pay and then just before a court case.

You also have the pre paid meter brigade who cost a fortune to service.

The simple fact is that any customer can chose any tariff from the big six and also there are some new smaller companies waiting in the wings.

We all choose the cheapest option, so all is well.

If you find it difficult to compare one company and its tariffs against another, you can employ online agencies who will select the best deal for you for free.

Having a fixed tariff would push up overall rates and would actually push up inflation.

Regards

Mick

I was phoned by one of these energy companies and when I finally got a word in edgeways to ask their cost per unit it went quite for a moment and then they put the phone down on me! Shows they only want to get the customers in then rip them off! I went with British Gas for power and Gas and get proper quarterly bills after the usage has been read from the meter - it stopped all the pre-charging BS over night and was cheaper for a couple of winters before the general prices started to rise again. It still seems I generally pay a bit less than I hear what others pay so I'm sticking with this for the forseeable future. But yeah you never know if you are on the right tarrif...bit you can bet it's the right tarrif for them!

I was phoned by one of these energy companies and when I finally got a word in edgeways to ask their cost per unit it went quite for a moment and then they put the phone down on me! Shows they only want to get the customers in then rip them off! I went with British Gas for power and Gas and get proper quarterly bills after the usage has been read from the meter - it stopped all the pre-charging BS over night and was cheaper for a couple of winters before the general prices started to rise again. It still seems I generally pay a bit less than I hear what others pay so I'm sticking with this for the forseeable future. But yeah you never know if you are on the right tarrif...bit you can bet it's the right tarrif for them!

If you are capable of using a calculator, you can easily work out the best tariff.

You could use a go compare type agency.

It really is very simple.

If you are capable of using a calculator, you can easily work out the best tariff.

No you can't and no it's not. The comparison sites use estimates because not even you know what your usage will be in the next year.

When I stop at a petrol station I don't need to use a calculator or guestimate how far I will be driving.
Darren

No you can't and no it's not. The comparison sites use estimators because not even you know what your usage will be in the next year.
Darren

Darren

Sorry this is now getting stupid.

You can average your usage over the last few years.

It is a 15 minute exercise on a spread sheet.

If you find it difficult, the comparison sites do it all for you.

Mick

so mick why should the poor pay more for their energy requirements again? oh because they are poor... what a great system.

You could use a go compare type agency.

Sorry I can't spell Tariff can I....doh!

I will look around at what you mention....but I'm guessing these published rates are to get you in onto their schemes then they hit you with a bigger number once they got you hooked. I'm sticking to where I am for a while. But thanks for the prompt :)

Mick, I will try to be more open-minded than earlier. Please explain your comment above.
Darren

Darren

Energy comprises nearly 10% of household budgets and hence heavily impacts on inflation figures.

Multiple tariffs are the best way of forcing prices down and hence by keeping prices low it results in lowering inflation.

Mick

Mick,
I am a believer in the law of unintended consequences. However, I strongly believe transparent simple pricing would push down costs, not push them up. However, I will try to let my mind be changed if someone can explain well why they should go up.
Darren

advertisement

Back