advertisement

Gary Lineker vs. BBC

Y’all being very euro centric.
The BBC is in Britain, so is Gary Lineker, and so is Ms Braverman when she isn't in Rwanda building concentration camps for people we deport from Britain. GL was talking about UK immigration policy. It seems pretty much all about Britain and Europe, so why are people here in your view being (excessively) euro-centric about the subject?

I am talking about upthread where folk are discussing where they would like to live if they could live elsewhere, mostly europeen countries were brought up but the choice of better places to live is not restricted to Euroland. Its a big world.

I am talking about upthread where folk are discussing where they would like to live if they could live elsewhere, mostly europeen countries were brought up but the choice of better places to live is not restricted to Euroland. Its a big world.

Yeah I agree. Though it's natural enough for folk to look across the water to places they've spent time.

I'd love to return to Japan for a long stretch sometime. Though it's a very conservative country in a lot of ways. I worked on an event with Terre Thaemlitz and was raving about how much I love it there - they just looked at me and said it's not the best place to live if you have a vagina. Fair point.

Anyways.. we don't know each other but glad you've escaped the UK and found somewhere happier.

In what way does that matter ? GL has a contract with them.

There was a good insight into the differences on R4s The Media Show programme when it first kicked off. The BBCs impartiality rules for social media only cover its employees working in news and current affairs.

There is, of course, a counter-argument, which is that in seeking to control what BBC staff (and freelancers) put on social media, they will also have the effect of obscuring any political or other biases which those people might otherwise reveal.

any political or other biases which those people might otherwise reveal.
and which would attest to very unprofessional bahaviour. There are quite a few professions where you are expected to keep your personal bias for yourself, journalism is one of them, especially so if you have climbed up the career ladder.

and which would attest to very unprofessional bahaviour. There are quite a few professions where you are expected to keep your personal bias for yourself, journalism is one of them.
Over the years I have gained the impression that the BBC's journalists have struggled with that. Whether Laura Kuenssberg's fawning over Johnson, or the issues around panel and audience selection for Question Time, a distinctly right-wing bias has crept into Auntie's output in recent years. Remember that picture of 'red' Corbyn and the Kremlin? The disproportionate airtime given to Farage and others of his ilk, is widely considered to be one reason why Brexit gained traction the way it did. So I'd agree with you that BBC journalists have behaved rather unprofessionally in recent times.

To remind you:
5aad57bb2000003800eb235a.png

... I'd agree with you that BBC journalists have behaved rather unprofessionally in recent times. To remind you:
5aad57bb2000003800eb235a.png
And who can forget James Landale's Hello magazine-style soft-soaping of the Camerons. It is a literal PR piece. Family man? Tick. Make salad together? Tick. Not too posh? Tick. Meet the wife? Tick. Best man for the job? Tick.

Last edited:
And who can forget James Lansdale's Hello magazine-style soft-soaping of the Camerons. It is a literal PR piece. Family man? Tick. Make salad together? Tick. Not too posh? Tick. Meet the wife? Tick. Best man for the Job? Tick.
Well he was...until johnson and truss, the best pm we'd ever had! Such vision, such prescience, such a work ethic...when will we see his like again?
Er, oh...

advertisement

Back