advertisement

Gary Lineker vs. BBC

Statement from Director-General of the BBC, Tim Davie:

“Everyone recognises this has been a difficult period for staff, contributors, presenters and, most importantly, our audiences. I apologise for this. The potential confusion caused by the grey areas of the BBC’s social media guidance that was introduced in 2020 is recognised. I want to get matters resolved and our sport content back on air.

“Impartiality is important to the BBC. It is also important to the public. The BBC has a commitment to impartiality in its Charter and a commitment to freedom of expression. That is a difficult balancing act to get right where people are subject to different contracts and on air positions, and with different audience and social media profiles. The BBC’s social media guidance is designed to help manage these sometimes difficult challenges and I am aware there is a need to ensure that the guidance is up to this task. It should be clear, proportionate, and appropriate.

“Accordingly, we are announcing a review led by an independent expert – reporting to the BBC – on its existing social media guidance, with a particular focus on how it applies to freelancers outside news and current affairs. The BBC and myself are aware that Gary is in favour of such a review.

“Shortly, the BBC will announce who will conduct that review. Whilst this work is undertaken, the BBC’s current social media guidance remains in place.

“Gary is a valued part of the BBC and I know how much the BBC means to Gary, and I look forward to him presenting our coverage this coming weekend.”

Statement from Gary Lineker:

“I am glad that we have found a way forward. I support this review and look forward to getting back on air.”

Sky News is reporting that it understands Gary Lineker will return to hosting on the BBC. In a post it said: “ It’s understood the corporation will apologise to the Match of the Day presenter.

“It is unclear if he will be back on air for the FA Cup quarter-finals this weekend, but a BBC announcement is expected later today.”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/l...088ed9e3367ea8#block-640ef1148f088ed9e3367ea8
Be a great shame if this ends in some sort of compromise that leaves Davie and Sharp in post. They have been rocked by the popular groundswell of support for Lineker and the pressure could have built until neither’s position remained tenable.

Just like in football then........players are bigger than managers. Gary has never been in the real world since his paper run...

Statement from Director-General of the BBC, Tim Davie:

“Everyone recognises this has been a difficult period for staff, contributors, presenters and, most importantly, our audiences. I apologise for this. The potential confusion caused by the grey areas of the BBC’s social media guidance that was introduced in 2020 is recognised. I want to get matters resolved and our sport content back on air.

“Impartiality is important to the BBC. It is also important to the public. The BBC has a commitment to impartiality in its Charter and a commitment to freedom of expression. That is a difficult balancing act to get right where people are subject to different contracts and on air positions, and with different audience and social media profiles. The BBC’s social media guidance is designed to help manage these sometimes difficult challenges and I am aware there is a need to ensure that the guidance is up to this task. It should be clear, proportionate, and appropriate.

Accordingly, we are announcing a review led by an independent expert – reporting to the BBC – on its existing social media guidance, with a particular focus on how it applies to freelancers outside news and current affairs. The BBC and myself are aware that Gary is in favour of such a review.

“Shortly, the BBC will announce who will conduct that review. Whilst this work is undertaken, the BBC’s current social media guidance remains in place.

“Gary is a valued part of the BBC and I know how much the BBC means to Gary, and I look forward to him presenting our coverage this coming weekend.”

Statement from Gary Lineker:

“I am glad that we have found a way forward. I support this review and look forward to getting back on air.”

Would this be an actual independent expert, or an 'expert' with murky connections to the Tory Party? Who is this expert? A name would be useful.

My thinking is that this issue is not really about impartiality - it's about harm.

Stopping someone expressing their views seems to me to be partial. Suppression in the name of impartiality seems like Orwellian doublethink.

I posit that no-one has the right to not be offended by someone expressing a view. ISTM that taking offence is the modern excuse for cancel culture. However it is possible that expressing a view may cause genuine harm. People do have the right not to be harmed.

I think the problem is that there are people in power who think they have the right to not be offended and have the power to cause harm to the BBC. So we mix up impartiality and harm and see the consequences.

Person stands up for the voiceless who are under genuine threat of further and worse mistreatment, has his argument twisted by government ministers who then demand the BBC enforces impartiality (while stuffing its top brass with ex-Tory candidates and funders, oh the hubris), who dutifully force said person to step back from their job with no understanding of the support they have and the consequences of their actions, and now want expert guidance on what should be obvious: a quiet word in Gary's considerable shell like about not winding up the government quite so much would be appreciated but cannot be expected, still they could ask, nothing more. Tim Davies brought this on himself and deserves all he gets for fiddling with the impartiality intentionally to stop people speaking out, while Richard Sharp is clearly there because he is a a mate of Boris - the era of Boris is over, and Rishi will surely wash away Sharp if he gets an opportunity ...

Be a great shame if this ends in some sort of compromise that leaves Davie and Sharp in post. They have been rocked by the popular groundswell of support for Lineker and the pressure could have built until neither’s position remained tenable.
That’s what they’re hoping for, a no cost low profile reverse ferret. The grey areas Davie talks about is the convenient space he and that crook Sharp can operate in and exploit to drive home Tory party messaging and suppress any resistance from staff and contributors.
What the ‘shake hands and no hard feelings’ act tells me is they’ve been caught with their pants down, the chairman is in great jeopardy so they’ve now been forced into attempting to make the issue go away.

advertisement

Back