advertisement

Garrard 401

Definitely early, as the later models has the chassis plate in one strip - yours has the "Garrard" in a separate box, and, of course, the flush strobe.

BTW, you need to edit an "L" into your Flickr link! :)

A failsafe way to remove a stuck platter is to use a wooden batten cut to the diameter of the platter. Place the batten centered over the spindle, with your palm over each end and fingers under the rim edge. Then just squeeze your hands and the platter should eventually give. This works on even tricky platters like the heavy-platter Lencos and avoids damaging either plinth, platter or bearing.

Platter off, Tools Spoon, and a gentle tap with Mallet..
Looks like the 1967..Serial No 09436.
Separate box for Garrard front panel, flush strobe.
Sorry about the flickr link.
Earthlink.net link. Will need sometime to read all...Very informative!

Have uploaded the photos to flickr.

Thanks All!

can anyone point to some reliable schematics for a good 401 plinth. i mean i can crawl in the dark, no problem, would just love to avoid the most boring details about a proper cutout etc.

I know but im thinking of ditching my LP12 for a 401 as im sick of all the "must have" upgrades that you need to make it special and all that.
just want a fit and forget TT nowadays - must be getting old !

It's not really a can of worms, it's a no-brainer, I had an LP12 for 22 years, did everything possible to it in that time including a carbon fibre subchassis, PSU upgrades, 4-5 different arms of ever-increasing sophistication (and cost), everything bar the Circus bearing upgrade which I didn't like.

IN the end I got fed up with this, sold it and swapped it for a Rock Reference which cost around what I sold the specced up Linn for. Night and day and wish I'd done it years ago. Later had a Garrard which with a good 12in arm in a high mass plinth was even better.

The LP12 is a decent TT up to a point, but to better it is not difficult or even that expensive.

Thats what i was kinda thinking too - im just not prepared to keep shelling out on upgrades anymore.

I upgrade some component in my system year by year ... I find it great that my LP12 can also be upgraded. Spending a grand or two every couple of years - and getting better sound - is less of a hit IMO than, once off, buying some hugely expensive TT - like, say, a $150K Caliburn - that is so far above the LP12, it will never need further upgrades. :)

After about 6 years doing nothing, this year I got a new plinth and upgraded from L1 to L2; next upgrade (which might not arrive till next year) is a RubiKon ... then maybe a Khan top-plate. :D

Regards,

Andy

Dave (scottyhammer), sorry for no reply but I've been out of the country and away from pfm for a few weeks.

I can't make a direct comparison between the 401 and my LP12 because of the different arms and cartridges I have on each, but am very happy with the Garrard. I also never really felt the need to upgrade the LP12 and it's still the same pre-Cirkus/Valhalla/Itok as when I bought it. Both are very good decks.

One of the reasons I enjoy the Garrard (and the Thorens decks I have) is its superb engineering and build quality - perhaps less remarkable in its time but increasingly rare in products these days. And it's true there's much less temptation to 'upgrade' these decks.

I'll be interested to know how you get on.

Andrew

Andrew,

Could you explain please how the 401 measures up to the LP12 in sound quality ?

Cheers, Dave

I was at Garrard when the 401 was in production. A Linn LP12 was about 4x more expensive, retail.
The Garrard is generally -much- better made, though the important bits of the Linn, main bearing and motor pulley, are first class. The Linn isolates the record from structure borne vibration much better than a solid plinth Garrard. Which you prefer the sound of will probably depend on what sort of table you stick it on, where the table is in the listening room, and your taste in the frequency content and amplitude of the post echo added by the deck. The Garrard adds more. Post echo sounds nice, most non-classical vocal recordings have it added to make the singer sound better.

can anyone point to some reliable schematics for a good 401 plinth. i mean i can crawl in the dark, no problem, would just love to avoid the most boring details about a proper cutout etc.

I made mine out of 2 Ikea chopping boards, some oak strips, and a bit of threaded rod. Other than sawing the oak strips which is a circular saw job everything was done with basic tools on a workmate in the back yard. Cost about £30. Fancy the details?

advertisement

Back