advertisement

Garrard 401 mat

wylton

Naim and Mana member
I have a Garrard 401 in a Loricraft Skeletal plinth, serviced by Terry. When I had the work done, I bought the Loricraft 2-part cork mat at the same time, so I've never actually tried the original mat. I know there are plenty of 401 users here and just wondered how many are using the original mat. I didn't retain the original, but I know you can buy repro mats now.

Nope, the original mat is used as a dust cover for the Glassmat I actually use. Big improvement in the higher frequencies from the Glassmat.

I wasted weeks of my life years ago experimenting with mats on both Garrard 301s and 401s.

Mt conclusion was that, whilst a Funk Firm Achromat does add a bit of midrange richness which is nice for classical, 99% of the time they both sounded best with their original rubber mats.

Reactions: GT
I’m far too much the record collector to ever put anything of value onto any hard mat or bare platter, so I stuck with the original rubber mat on my 301, as I do with the 124. Also worth noting that the Garrard mats are designed to damp a platter that rings.

There's nothing wrong with the original mat - think I preferred it to the Loricraft one. I currently run an Auditorium A23 mat which is better yet - but we are talking tiny differences here. I'd stick with what you have and spend your money on records.

I have glass mats on two of my decks, but I always prefer to top them with something else (felt on the Stanton & Spotmat on the Lenco).

I must admit, I'm tempted to try an original. I know this topic has been done before here; from 2009:

I refuse point blank to use a hard mat (or turntable with hard platter) as all it takes is a single grain of grit or whatever to trash a potentially valuable record. I've seen many records with tell-tale marks from such damage, it's easy to spot if you know what you are looking for.

I've got two mats for my 301, a recently remanufactured rubber one just like the original, and a Loricraft two layer cork type thing. I can't tell much difference between them to be honest, but the rubber one looks much nicer and it is easier to lift 7" and 10" records off it, so that's the one I use.

Tony.

That makes sense, especially noting the damping issue too.

advertisement

Back