advertisement

Gardening

Unlikely to have changed pH though.

Did you get blossom? Sometimes plants just take a year off.
That’s why my confusion. The bush has been where it is for years. What would have changed the pH?

No blossoms, nothing. Perhaps it’s just having a wee rest as you say?

Sometimes, the wrong conditions at the wrong time of year will affect flowering. Unexpected hard or late frost can kill off buds, or frost or damp when buds are setting might inhibit them in the first place. If it looks healthy, I'd probably suggest giving it a good feed, perhaps a mulch with well rotted manure or something, and it'll probably do for you next year.

You'd normally use a liquid feed to promote flowering and fruiting, and re-apply periodically it during the productive part of the season. It certainly won't do any harm to apply a liquid feed now, but it's unlikely to produce anything this year. But it might give the plant a boost so it's better set for next year. But if you can do anything to improve soil fertility more generally, like digging in or mulching with some well rotted manure, that'd be worth doing.

My Blueberry Bush has failed to produce flowers this year. Previous year have been quite abundant, this year, nothing.

Any thoughts on why? Remedies?

52100852525_a136210ac4_w.jpg

Do nothing. It's not a nutrition problem because the roots will be deep. It's not a ph problem because there is no sign of chlorosis. Pruning may help it produce more flowers, but it's not going to be the difference between some flowers and no flowers.

It's very common for plants to produce no fruit some years. Maybe it tried to produce flowers but they got burnt off by cold winds in Spring. Maybe it has, for reasons best known to itself, decided to invest all its energy into root and leaf growth rather than reproduction. Maybe it's just so old and knackered that it can't reproduce so well any more.

My advice, as I say, is to do nothing, see what happens next year. If it fails again, or disappoints with a low yield, rip it out and plant young stock.

Blueberries need a very acid soil to really thrive - pH 4 or 5. That's not found in many gardens - I grow mine in 50 L tubs.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have grown a cauliflower. That's my post.

After years of failure, we now have one of 25 cms (up yours Tories), must have cost us £25 of failed seeds, plugs, compost but still feeling smug. Recipes?

After years of failure, we now have one of 25 cms (up yours Tories), must have cost us £25 of failed seeds, plugs, compost but still feeling smug. Recipes?
There are a number of recipes for Cauliflower steaks, worth checking out Ottolenghi is good on this sort of thing.

Don’t eat it. Place in the middle of the dining table and admire it!

On a similar theme I have failed for years with lettuce. Thanks to advice on here now have a bumper crop of Rosso and Cos.

Thanks everyone

I've just savaged the hedge. Ran out of petrol so there will be a further hacking in due course. Lawn mowed, feel quite smug.

As it's a bit special, simply steam it and have it with a delicately flavoured cheese sauce. Similarly, I've never had success with cauli's although I've recently grown Romano ones, though I've yet to eat them as they really didn't look inviting at all.

Majoring in various brassica this year on 2 plots. Bought 8 x 5 m butterfly netting to augment my existing smaller one. Only the slugs can attack now, and some of those can't get in! I dispatch them in the attempt on my nocturnal slug-fest. I'm convinced there's a slug factory somewhere close by, as it's hard to believe there can be any left after months of nightly annihilation. Good bird and hedgehog nosh, as there's nothing to see in the morning.

Pushed the boat out for 3m canes this year; 40 of them, and I've never come across such thick bamboo canes before. Not cheap but well worth the outlay and I've made frames for the netting with those not needed for runner and French beans.

advertisement

Back