advertisement

Gardening

Yes I have a composter and a bird feeder ,I like having the birds around so won't be stopping that

If you like having birds around, let me recommend you get a bird bath. They really do use it when they have learned where it is, and if you can position it in a place where you can see it from your living room window, it's great fun watching them shake their feathers in the water etc.

Get rid of the bird feeders for a few months, see if the problem goes away. Put them back, and see if it comes back.

we got em (rats), next doors cat is doing a great job. We think we know where the nest is. Yes they were feeding on the bird feeder waste, so we've taken that away for the moment. We have ordered a new feeder with a big tray so hopefully less spillage.

Next doors son has offered to deal with the nest which we think is in the Pampas Grass as he does that all the time as a warden over the local fishing lake. Towards the end of winter I'll clear the area by setting fire to it.

They love the bird bath

We seem to have involuntarily adopted a polecat. I've now seen him/her on 3 occasions, always in the evening and always in the same place: climbing up the outer surround of a small arched window we have in the living room. The wall is normally covered in Virginia creeper, and it uses that to negotiate the tricky arched part of the window before getting up to the gutter. We have lots of snails around and quite a few assorted rodents, so I hope the polecat will pull its weight in other ways and help with the natural pest control. Beautiful animal.

New bait in the traps , Also looks like they have dug under the composter :mad: little bar stewards

Used the Stihl gear today , cut the grass front and back , Tick , Strimmer all round , Tick , Then after at least a month my long reach hedge trimmer arrived 2 days ago so time to give that a run out on the back hedge , Works a treat , Although a tad heavy , Maybe it's me being a woos :)
All jobs done using 1 battery , still had 1 bar out of the four showing after use , I swapped the battery from machine to machine , Rather pleased so far :)

Nothing happening in the garden now...

Sprouts have had it (got too damp) cabbages stopped growing, but the cavelo nero is booming (still loads of beetroot left too)...

Oh, and more visitors this afternoon ;)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/F57WQfDEKGfWkekt9

I went to Boston market on Wednesday , Sprouts 1lb for 90p , So fresh and clean they don't need trimming
I love Sprouts , Bring to the boil then simmer for 6 mins , Lovely :D

Rat poison is bad news for Owls and is best avoided.

I had great success with a humane trap and sorted my rat issue quickly a few years ago. Other than trapping, concentrate on creating an inhospitable environment for them.

Andrew

Rat poison is bad news for Owls and is best avoided.

I had great success with a humane trap and sorted my rat issue quickly a few years ago. Other than trapping, concentrate on creating an inhospitable environment for them.

Andrew

Absolutely! Get rid of the bird feed! Get jack russells etc.

I don't think it's unlawful to fail to deal with a rat problem but it's certainly unwise.

Yes they do. But if you see one then you'll have many. Keep bating and bating. Took my friend several months to get rid of a load of rats that were living under his neighbours patio. The neighbours weren't interested in doing anything about them.

I may need an air rifle , I allready paid out about £80 in trap boxes an 2 lots of bait ( 200 blocks )

Crikey! It's very important to keep going with the bait until the feeding stops. Maybe you're doing the the local council's job for them - perhaps give them a call now.

ours appear to have gone - 3 caught by the cat next door. We also replaced the bird feeder with one where food remnants are not dropped on the floor. Interesting the change of feeder has led to a reduction in starlings and an increase in great tits and black birds. First week or so with the new feeder, no birds at all. Great tits are rare round here as were black bird pairs

My Blueberry Bush has failed to produce flowers this year. Previous year have been quite abundant, this year, nothing.

Any thoughts on why? Remedies?

52100852525_a136210ac4_w.jpg

advertisement

Back