advertisement

Gaia1 or Gaia2?

poppop

pfm Member
Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

When I fill in the product selector on the Iso site - height/weight etc. Both the gaia1 & gaia2 are recommended. They are for Linn Keltiks.(52kg each) Given the price difference Id go for the 2's!

So, top end weight wise for the 2's or bottom end weight wise for 1's?

Cheers
Steve

Might be a question for the manufacturer. My thoughts which isn't much, I would think eventually whatever the mechanism that makes up the "suspension" of the device, will only sag/get weaker with time. So being on the top end weight wise, might eventually render its usefulness less so? Whereas the other way, you have a bit more give/take in the suspension to grow in to. And I may be totally off base here, that is for sure. And will it even matter in the grand scheme of things?

I believe they will recommend to be at the lower end rather than the top end. As you might fully compress one or more if the speaker is heavier at the front compared to the rear or whatever.

I can’t remember where I read this, but it was recommended that you load the isolation devices to approximately 70% of their maximum capacity. That’s the guideline I used when I purchased mine, and my JBLs seem very happy as a result.
So for a 52kg load, using 4 isolators, each will see approximately 13kg. Thus, I would choose whichever isolator that has a maximum capacity of 20kg.

Thank you for the replies. I guess you are all confirming what Id thought - it doesnt "feel" right loading something to the max! I was leaning toward being a bit of a tight arse, as 2 x £299 compared with 2 x £499 is an easier convince with "Er" indoors as I was in the "no, no nowhere near a grand" fob off!!
So I will go for the "1's" in the next few weeks. Anyone know of any upcoming sales?

Out of interest I will ask the manufacturer (as mentioned up thread) for their recommendation. If its interesting Ill post here.

Many thanks again for your feedback.

You may have looked at this, the pro version is less than half the price of the audiophile version. I have read a few sites mention no audible difference between the two.

I think there are 3 weights in the pro model.

Thank you for the replies. I guess you are all confirming what Id thought - it doesnt "feel" right loading something to the max! I was leaning toward being a bit of a tight arse, as 2 x £299 compared with 2 x £499 is an easier convince with "Er" indoors as I was in the "no, no nowhere near a grand" fob off!!
So I will go for the "1's" in the next few weeks. Anyone know of any upcoming sales?

Out of interest I will ask the manufacturer (as mentioned up thread) for their recommendation. If its interesting Ill post here.

Many thanks again for your feedback.
I've bought Gaia II from a seller on eBay, based in Romania called Stereoland. He accepts offers and they were already much cheaper than anywhere else. Received promptly and no import duties.

I recommended this seller to someone else on here recently who also bought Gaia's with no issue (you can probably search up the stream, somehow). No connection to seller, but I can highly recommend based upon my own experience.

The seller has a double set of Gaia I for £906 delivered. By the time you make an offer, you'll likely get them for about £850 delivered to your door.

You're welcome!

Enjoy, Gaia's are truly excellent

As suggested, contacted Isoacoustics , response not unexpected.

"I would be happy to help clear this up! The GAIA I is recommended for best performance, while the GAIA II is a great option but not our primary recommendation!"

Probably fair, given that we were all leaning that way. Hope to complete purchase in next few weeks.

Steve

Always pick the higher capacity one which in this case the Gaia 1 for best result. I have Gaia 2 under my standmount speakers they surely deliver. Highly recommended if the Townshend Podiums are too much for your wallet.

A little late to the party but I will confirm what all the others are saying, better to be at the low end. When I bought mine from them at a local show, they had a graph showing the effective range on each model & as said, they become less effective as you near the upper weight limit. From what I recall middle of the weight range & lower is ideal.

Have just placed order with Audio Destination for Gaia 1's.
As suggested, I did try the 2 providers on ebay.(save a hundred or two) BUT I had assumed that the inserts would be "standard" and fit the Keltiks - wrong! The Keltik spikes are M10 1.5 gauge - the inclusion of these was becoming more complex and expensive. Hence the order with AD.

Steve

Dear all
Bit late to this but has anyone tried I versus iI or even II versus III on thé same set of speakers, ones where you are just at the cusp of max weight?

i added secondhand IIs to my ATC50ASls with custom stands that weight about 7kg each (so at the limit of the recommended weight range) and heard a really welcome uplift in sound quality.

I’ve no idea if the uplift would have been bigger still with Is. Has anyone tried when the weight of your speaker is at the top of the range?

P.s. I couldn’t live with the aesthetics of a townshend podium under standmount atc actives otherwise would have gone for them, as a custom build Podium under my Velodyne dd12 plus works a treat

Thanks
Salman

I transferred my Gaia III when I moved from passive ATC SCM40 to active SCM40A. The graphs suggested I’d probably be ok but they just didn’t do the same magic. I got my wallet out and traded the III’s in against the II’s (mine were mint boxed so I got a decent trade, I usually sell separately from buying). Ah, that’s more like it! The magic is back.

I transferred my Gaia III when I moved from passive ATC SCM40 to active SCM40A. The graphs suggested I’d probably be ok but they just didn’t do the same magic. I got my wallet out and traded the III’s in against the II’s (mine were mint boxed so I got a decent trade, I usually sell separately from buying). Ah, that’s more like it! The magic is back.

That's really useful! For me it is less the cost and more the aesthetics. I have custom-made pillar stands for the ATC50Asls and the diameter of the IIs is about the same as the width of the pillar so they look 'right'. But you have whetted my appetite...

Ordered Tuesday arrived today - which is excellent, given Im in NE Scotland.

Well, they work! System: Keltiks (with seas midrange), Klimax XO's, Zen mini Mk3, Melody (valve) pre, Qutest, 8 x Avondale Qudos/"200" power amps.

Essentially, they have taken the "fug" out of the bass, which makes vocals, in particular, clearer. Its a bit of a change, as for years I have been pretty meticulous in ensuring the spikes are level and totally secure to ensure no movement. With the Gaias I did the same, but given their construction, there is a bit of "wobble" Im sure you could spend more and not achieve this level of improvement.

In coming weeks, Im interested in trying just 3 - I have the bases which have a 5th spike hole in the centre rear.

Thanks for the input - a very worthwhile addition.

Steve

Ordered Tuesday arrived today - which is excellent, given Im in NE Scotland.

Well, they work! System: Keltiks (with seas midrange), Klimax XO's, Zen mini Mk3, Melody (valve) pre, Qutest, 8 x Avondale Qudos/"200" power amps.

Essentially, they have taken the "fug" out of the bass, which makes vocals, in particular, clearer. Its a bit of a change, as for years I have been pretty meticulous in ensuring the spikes are level and totally secure to ensure no movement. With the Gaias I did the same, but given their construction, there is a bit of "wobble" Im sure you could spend more and not achieve this level of improvement.

In coming weeks, Im interested in trying just 3 - I have the bases which have a 5th spike hole in the centre rear.

Thanks for the input - a very worthwhile addition.

Steve

Thanks for the update. It's nice to know that they work. Similarly the Gaias work in my system too. The speaker manufacturer of my speakers actually recommends the Gaia upgrade for the entire range.

Given the comments, I have just put a trial set between bouncy wooden floor and B&W 804 D3s. They do exactly what everyone who likes them has said, and will be staying.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back