advertisement

Funky/Stylish Ties

droodzilla

pfm Member
I'm going to a wedding in April and will be wearing my usual boring suit (my wardrobe is not extensive).

However, I'd like to "lift" the outfit with a stylish tie - something bright and funky perhaps. Think of the ties Jon Snow used to wear when presenting C4 News.

Willing to pay good (but not completely silly) money for something I love.

So, where to look and what to buy?

I'm going to a wedding in April and will be wearing my usual boring suit (my wardrobe is not extensive).

However, I'd like to "lift" the outfit with a stylish tie - something bright and funky perhaps. Think of the ties Jon Snow used to wear when presenting C4 News.

what is your least favourite colour? What colour shirt are you planning to wear? What colour is the boring suit.

Dark grey suit, white (or pale) shirt. I don't have strong colour preferences but I like blue.

I'm looking for ideas about where to look, not necessarily specific recommendations.

I've got dozens that I no longer wear. Ties in the office are no longer seen. I now wear a tie about twice a year, and more often than not it's black. Would you like one posting? I have some belters that would lift your outfit, some with a blue background.

I’d look at Duchamp or Boss for nice ties without spending silly money. If you want to up your budget have a look at Ferragamo.

Lanvin used to have some brilliant blues: bright but classy. Browse and buy from a vintage site like Vestiaire Collective to cut costs by a factor of 4 or 5.

Not sure what you mean by "funky," but Marinella (Naples) make lovely ties and I just saw on Ebay.UK there are a few on offer, although overpriced.
But it might be fun if other Fish sent in photos of ties they no longer use, and you take your pick. But the width is important, since old ties can go from a narrow 5cm to a massive 12cm, depending on their vintage.
You can also run into nice ties in second-hand shops.

Neckties are ten-a-penny. Join the ever-growing pfm bow-tie club (three members so far.)

i.php

Ebay is a reasonable source, but why not make your own? It’s pretty simple - I think seven of those shown are by House of Marchbanks - made from old silk neckties. Recycle and save the planet!

Last edited:
I found a few in Scottish National Galleries, not sure what they do now. Favourite was based on a Modigliani work.

They were short run and you'll never risk anyone else appearing with the same tie.

Don't use ties these days apart from matches and dispatches, green and gold suit for the former and black for the latter but always green shoes.

Dark grey suit, white (or pale) shirt. I don't have strong colour preferences but I like blue.

I'm looking for ideas about where to look, not necessarily specific recommendations.

Lanvin do very good blue IMO -- natural looking, indigo. Lots on ebay

Jon Snow used to like Victoria Richards -- there are a few on ebay but her own website is more interesting (and more expensive)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I like to wear a nice tie on occasion. These days I mostly buy on Ebay, you can get nice stuff from Liberty for not very much. Re Dweezils's comment about ties from galleries, most of these are made by Fox & Chave, also available on Ebay.

It's been years since I had to wear a tie, but back in the day when I still had to turn up in the office in a suit and tie I used to love the Bill Graham Filmore poster ties. This one was my favorite.

il_794xN.5408600222_t96j.jpg

Browse the local charity shops.
Go for a tie with some orange in it.
After the wedding, donate it back to the charity shop.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I absolutely LOVE Carnaval de Venise ties.

I could bear to throw any away, even though I don't really get a chance to wear them so much any more.

There should be plenty available on Ebay, but they were starting to be perceived as collectors' items with the predictable effect on prices.

advertisement

Back