advertisement

Funk Firm

As long I record them well (I'll do my best).

I know you will, look forward to following the thread. Hope it all goes well and hope a good time is had by all. :)

I'd fly the private jet across the Atlantic to attend, but it's loaned out for the weekend.

Hi John, It was just that you seemed very invested in your point of view and I assumed that you were in some way a dealer or connected with selling the Linn brand. What confused me was your communication style didn't seem to be one that would assist you in that kind of endeavour.

Really? Please let me know where I've expressed my opinion on how the LP12 sounds compared to other decks. You seem to be the one expressing your point of view which is fine AFAIC. :)

I've just my interest in listening to some needle drops.

I'm aware of that and have started threads with needle drops but there are plenty of decks that are not represented that would be fun to listen to and compare. I sometimes get the impression the owners are reluctant/afraid to participate. Some of the decks that are so far not represented will be participating this weekend in Andrew's bake-off so that's a good start.

Quite agree we are Missing Lots...

Well Tempered despite many requests though I did get a snippet from another forum but it wasn't enough

same applies to Tuners ... Nat 01 Revox Tandberg Technics Yamaha

Having listened to a number of needle drops and seen the conflicting views thereon, I have to say that I am not convinced that they are accurate enough to give a true representation of the differences that they are supposed to show. If that makes sense...

Having listened to a number of needle drops and seen the conflicting views thereon, I have to say that I am not convinced that they are accurate enough to give a true representation of the differences that they are supposed to show. If that makes sense...

It's likely what the recordings are being played back through or what the listener is listening for that accounts for the differing views. I guess we might all have the same gear if we all heard things the same way.

I'm pretty confident the recordings I've made are pretty close to what I'm hearing live in fact I find them quite helpful because they are so easy to playback and compare various parts of a song. I've created several threads were I've presented recordings where only one variable had been changed. The results have been interpreted differently by folks who listened to them yet I feel they are still valid for my own evaluation. Like I said, the recordings are being played back through all kinds of setups and we all listen differently.

The best way I've found to evaluate the recordings is to plug your computer directly into your preamplifier and play them back through your hi-fi. Listening to them on computer speakers or headphone, not so good IMO.

|I have heard many properly set-up LP12s - some by linn themselves. I find they sound very little different to the lp12s set up by any tom dick or harry. Its a myth to charge for regular servicing.

which really is just another opportunity to sell another turntable or system upgrade, imo, a large part of the Linn success.

I have Michell Orbe SME V and was thinking of upgrading the deck.I had thoughts on N.A. Dais, then I came accross this Funk Saffire, so looked for threads on this site .I got out of the Linn Naim camp years ago, and dont regret it, some upgrades I had to the Linn just didnt justify the money at the time and I got sick of it all. I have had a good run with the Orbe, and have heard much more from my vinyl IMO. This is not to say the Linn is better or worse, but the Orbe has pleased ME more. I had the Linn for 13 yrs before it.
I think this Saffire looks fine, modern and minimalist, if the design works, then why should we need expensively engineered decks with 3" thick platters etc. The Linn works , it looks fine but its a dated design, people will naturally feel different opinions as to the looks or colour of anything, but I havnt read much on here as to how this new deck sounds, so I will go and find out for myself, if it betters my Orbe SME, then I may just go for it.

Hello Malc, please let us know your findings and opinion. Will look forward to your post in due course.

Cheers,
Keith.

Still awaiting mine, but based on hearing it at Phonography it sounds fluid, transparent, organic, but unlike some modern decks does not lose the indefinable boogie factor. I hope to get mine in a week or two and will report back.

|I have heard many properly set-up LP12s - some by linn themselves. I find they sound very little different to the lp12s set up by any tom dick or harry. Its a myth to charge for regular servicing.

Scintilla is right on the mark.

The LP12 is not hard to setup. However, it does require a person with mechanical/technical skills. Some persons should not attempt it, the same should not change the oil on their vehicle either.

Scintilla is right on the mark.

You'd be surprised how different they can sound from one that looks well set-up from the outside by Tom or Dick and one that is well set-up by a Linn dealer or an more knowledgeable Tom or Dick.

Well, its here.

Having been a vinyl enthusiast since the early 70's, I have to say it is unlike anything I have ever owned; so much so that I am having to re-learn my collection.

The sound is sweet yet dynamic to an extent I cannot believe from vinyl. There is a complete absence of hash and harshness. Some might think initially that it is a little polite; but you only have to listen for a few seconds, and, whatever you are listening to, it starts to suck you in to the performance.

Mush as I loved the Funk Vector, this is in a different league; masses more internal detail; at least an extra octave at the bottom. Sweet yet dynamic sums it up.

TBH, I am still coming to terms with it but it is very hard to stop listening. Definitely the least fatiguing and most satisfying deck I have heard.

I envie you Deserter!
I remember well when I got my PT Tarantella in '98 which replaced my "split-slabbed & flutterbustered" Rega 3. I just couldn't stop listening! But it did take a while to "open up" but when it did, oh boy, sonic bliss!
What arm and cartridge are you using on it?
Care to give us some pics?
Happy listening!

The arm is Funk's own FXR. I think this conributes a lot to the clarity and lack of "hash", I had it on the Vector before.

Cartidge is Dynavector XV1s - cheating a bit, I know. This has well under 100 hours on it so is not in any way run in yet. From my experience with other DV cartridges, The character changes pretty dramatically.

I will get some photos up when I work out how to do it......

I am intrigued at the concept of decks "opening up".....I know from previous experience that this is so, but why? I can see why with amps ands cartridges, but decks?

As a matter of interest, I am experimenting with the Attwood phono stage, loaned to me by Phonography - in place of my DV p75; a very different beast indeed -very nice!

I think in the case of my Tarantella, it was the bearing running in and maybe the dc motor as well.
Although I now have the OL Aurora Gold, I have kept my Tarantella and keep returning to it from time to time as I still enjoy its sound very much.
Wish I had the 4000+ in cash to spend on a Sapphire 2/FXR though...!

I have a 1987 LP12 which was fully Vectored by Arthur - with an Aro/Akiva it is a very enjoyable deck.

The Pink Triangle Anniversary is still one of the best sounding turntables I have ever heard, and certainly the best turntable I have owned in the last 28 years.

Still my TT of choice.

advertisement

Back