advertisement

Funk Firm

Whilst this thread may have reached it's conclusion, It will in many ways rage on in other forums, sites , blogs etc.. as it has for nearly 30 years in HiFi circles and magazines.
Anyone designs a decent TT and the old flat (literally) earthers rear their ugly heads. Their are so many contradictions within the previous 7 pages it's not worth my time to point them out. But lets just look at one..

"The "Saffire" is expensive!"
The LP12 cost how much new???

Sorry, but this really gets me going when you consider
The Funk Saffire 2 is not a clone of someone elses hard work.
Sorry, whats that you have? a Thorens? an Ariston? an Acoustic research? oh an LP12!

I fell for the con back in 88 and cannot tell you how angry I felt at being told I needed to first change all my system and then my listening room just to get an acceptable performance, which of course I never did.
I still own a Well-Tempered classic which has served me loyally for 21years and only now am I considering a change to you guessed it - Funk Vector 3! Why? because it has the speed and transparency I crave and IMHO looks refreshing and costs less than 10 sessions of treatment for "Post Linn Ownership Disorder"

As for the Saffire 2 - I will need to save a bit first!

Keep up the excellent Forum and don't tolerate those who have been and wish to brainwash others in their pursuit of nothing!

"The biggest lemon sold to the American public was the assasination of JFK"

"The biggest lemon sold to the British public was the unrivalled excellence of the LP12"

Whilst this thread may have reached it's conclusion, It will in many ways rage on in other forums, sites , blogs etc.. as it has for nearly 30 years in HiFi circles and magazines.
Anyone designs a decent TT and the old flat (literally) earthers rear their ugly heads. Their are so many contradictions within the previous 7 pages it's not worth my time to point them out. But lets just look at one..

"The "Saffire" is expensive!"
The LP12 cost how much new???

Sorry, but this really gets me going when you consider
The Funk Saffire 2 is not a clone of someone elses hard work.
Sorry, whats that you have? a Thorens? an Ariston? an Acoustic research? oh an LP12!

I fell for the con back in 88 and cannot tell you how angry I felt at being told I needed to first change all my system and then my listening room just to get an acceptable performance, which of course I never did.
I still own a Well-Tempered classic which has served me loyally for 21years and only now am I considering a change to you guessed it - Funk Vector 3! Why? because it has the speed and transparency I crave and IMHO looks refreshing and costs less than 10 sessions of treatment for "Post Linn Ownership Disorder"

As for the Saffire 2 - I will need to save a bit first!

Keep up the excellent Forum and don't tolerate those who have been and wish to brainwash others in their pursuit of nothing!

"The biggest lemon sold to the American public was the assasination of JFK"

"The biggest lemon sold to the British public was the unrivalled excellence of the LP12"

I guess you haven't heard a properly setup LP-12 then. Proof is in the pudding.

i guess you have never heard a well set up kuzma, notts , garrard, pink , roksan etc etc etc.
hi fi is not magical arts it's the science of reproduction.

|I have heard many properly set-up LP12s - some by linn themselves. I find they sound very little different to the lp12s set up by any tom dick or harry. Its a myth to charge for regular servicing.

Scintilla is right on the mark.

The LP12 beaters would have more credibility if their owners would be willing to put out some needle drops which would give us a chance to hear what we're missing. This suggestion though usually falls upon deaf ears.

I do look forward to getting some needle drops of some interesting decks this weekend after Andrew's bakeoff. :)

Why is it that every thread about a turntable ends up as an LP12 thread? The LP12 is a very nice albeit fundamentally seriously flawed design which is now quite clearly outclassed by a large number of competitors. Cant LP12 owners just allow other people to have a discussion without barging in like Jehovahs Witnesses selling the Watchtower in a pub? (and I'm not anti LP12, an LP12 was my main source for 30 or more years.)

There is a Salvation Army opposite my local pub (I'm sat in it now) - they seem very nice, quite 'jolly' at Christmas.

You are sat in the Pub or the Sally Army? I'm a bit hazy on religion - the Watchtower is a JW publication, i'm sure. Is the Sally army mainstream or is it JW too?

It was playing in direct comparison to my Vector, with an identical cartridge.

I love the Vector, but it was not in the same ball park (as it shouldnt be).

Since, for me, the Vecor beats both a good LP12 and the Amadeus hands down, I think the Saffire could well be top of the pile. I have in the past heard Michells and Roksans in direct comparisons to LP12s, and LP12s have always won. I dont see why lack of suspension should matter, as long as isolation is well executed.

Why is it that every thread about a turntable ends up as an LP12 thread? The LP12 is a very nice albeit fundamentally seriously flawed design which is now quite clearly outclassed by a large number of competitors. Cant LP12 owners just allow other people to have a discussion without barging in like Jehovahs Witnesses selling the Watchtower in a pub? (and I'm not anti LP12, an LP12 was my main source for 30 or more years.)

Well you're the one who started the thread and brought up the LP12. Like I said a needle drop would be nice to listen to, maybe it would create more interest in folks exploring the deck further.

I also mentioned Amadeus, Roksan and Michell, but no one is on here frothing at the mouth about them. The LP12 is just a piece of hardware (designed 40 years ago or so) its not a religious artefact; and it does not have magical qualities.

By the way, I failed my nerd exam; I cant do needle drops. But if you want to bring your LP12 round to my place, feel free!

I also mentioned Amadeus, Roksan and Michell, but no one is on here frothing at the mouth about them. The LP12 is just a piece of hardware (designed 40 years ago or so) its not a religious artefact; and it does not have magical qualities.

By the way, I failed my nerd exam; I cant do needle drops. But if you want to bring your LP12 round to my place, feel free!

Thanks for the offer, but I'm certain I'm much too far away. Besides I just assume listen to a needle drop through my own system. I'd also like to hear needle drops of the other decks as well but those requests have fallen on deaf ears. Maybe I'll get a listen to two out of three of those mentioned after this weekend's bake-off.

The usual and predictable old ****. I have had 20 years of very enjoyable LP12 and Naim amp ownership. However I have moved on and look forward to another 20 years of something else. Oh, and I don't miss it one bit and I'm not sure I can be arsed to even say where I've moved to and why. When I've done I will start a thread for people like me (punters) who may welcome a view.

John, do you work in retail and make a living?

I thought there were plenty of needle drops of other decks in various threads on PFM?
Should be easy to check them out.

I'm aware of that and have started threads with needle drops but there are plenty of decks that are not represented that would be fun to listen to and compare. I sometimes get the impression the owners are reluctant/afraid to participate. Some of the decks that are so far not represented will be participating this weekend in Andrew's bake-off so that's a good start.

I'm aware of that and have started threads with needle drops but there are plenty of decks that are not represented that would be fun to listen to and compare. I sometimes get the impression the owners are reluctant/afraid to participate. Some of the decks that are so far not represented will be participating this weekend in Andrew's bake-off so that's a good start.

As long I record them well (I'll do my best).

advertisement

Back