advertisement

FUNK Firm - HOUDINI

It's pretty light about 6 gm if I recall correctly. Too much for 12" arm and 12g cart though.

Actually 1.6 to 1.8 grams but as Mark discovered if you use the supplied nylon bolts you save weight over standard metal bolts so weight can be mitigated to around 1 gram.

Surely in very simple terms if the stylus is viewed as a lever and for it to "read" the grooves accurately the fulcrum has to remain in a stable position?

Any movement of the fulcrum i.e decoupling would remove some of this accuracy.

Torsion tether takes care of that. Houdini is not the same as other decouplers that have been in past.

The physics of it all, and the effect on sound, is ultimately the interesting bit, but I can't get past the consumer side of things. I mean if it's aimed at someone who won't spend £300 on an arm or a cartridge...why would they spend £300 on a gizmo to put in between them

I'm quite surprised by the lack of any technical details or analysis, given that this is PFM.

I smiled as I read through the thread and I'm going to put my money on a miniturised "Bell Nodal Beam" (as found on a 206L Helicopter)

Something setup to cancel the primanry bounce mode of most MC carts, having said that it would follow that different versions for MC and MM carts would be beneficial.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/7-Nodal-beam-concept-depiction-22_fig3_258544376

just thinking aloud :)

Edit, Maybe I'm overthinking this and it's nothing more than a device that allows the cart to freely pivot about its roll axis?

The physics of it all, and the effect on sound, is ultimately the interesting bit, but I can't get past the consumer side of things. I mean if it's aimed at someone who won't spend £300 on an arm or a cartridge...why would they spend £300 on a gizmo to put in between them

Houdini finds itself on anything from Project Debut to Clear Audio Innovation, Sp10R and everything in between. Don't take my word for it simply google it and look for yourself at the images.

There is clearly a reason for this. What it does do at the budget end is lift a modest deck to punching well above it's weight.

Read this thread and see https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/336208-funk-“houdini”/

Regards, Matt.

I'm quite surprised by the lack of any technical details or analysis, given that this is PFM.

I smiled as I read through the thread and I'm going to put my money on a miniturised "Bell Nodal Beam" (as found on a 206L Helicopter)

Something setup to cancel the primanry bounce mode of most MC carts, having said that it would follow that different versions for MC and MM carts would be beneficial.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/7-Nodal-beam-concept-depiction-22_fig3_258544376

just thinking aloud :)

Edit, Maybe I'm overthinking this and it's nothing more than a device that allows the cart to freely pivot about its roll axis?

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...1618375665101/Impedance_Matched_Houdini_3.pdf

Something for you to peruse.

Matt.

Matt, my comments stand, it introduces a system variable compliance with two roll axis into into a device that relies on a fixed geometry to do its job.

That it changes the sound isn't in question, that the effect it achieves leads to improved fidelty to the recording is. People are free to like whatever they want and spend their money as they see fit. I have no argument with that.

Matt, my comments stand, it introduces a system variable compliance with two roll axis into into a device that relies on a fixed geometry to do its job.

That it changes the sound isn't in question, that the effect it achieves leads to improved fidelty to the recording is. People are free to like whatever they want and spend their money as they see fit. I have no argument with that.

Again Simon and again with no intended disrespect. The roll axis you talk of is stabilised as part of the design also part of the patent.

The people who do like it is a number growing ever larger. So it goes to what I predicted six months ago. And to quote Mr Lincoln
“You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.”

Another Rave review due out soon. We still have a long way to go along this road however increasingly you will find your opinion a minority view.

Matt.

I'm surprised by the target market being an Ortofon Blue, at the £250+VAT for the Houdini, that's Heading for double the price of the cartridge @£185.

I'm surprised by the target market being an Ortofon Blue, at the £250+VAT for the Houdini, that's Heading for double the price of the cartridge @£185.

Just one example of many combinations. Again don't take my word for it. Google Funk Firm Houdini, click images and see the diversity for yourself.

In addition Ortofon Blue on an RB250, Rega P1 plus Houdini and Achromat would surprise you.

M

So far I don't see anything to suggest that the Houdini is appropriate for my turntable, which is fair enough. In my case £300 for a worthwhile improvement would be ok, on a lower priced system it seems a bit disproportionate, but I do sympathise with the seller as the VAT alone at £50 is a big hit.

Matt, I'm perfectly happy should my opinion being one of one. It's the only one that matters to me

advertisement

Back