advertisement

[FS] Fully rebuilt Leak Stereo 20

Mike P

Trade: Pickwell Audio
For sale:

A lovely example of a Leak Stereo 20.

Fully restored from a bare metal chassis upwards, with new paint and decals, many new fasteners, new feet, banana sockets etc etc...

Every resistor and capacitor has been replaced, with the exception of the two 200pF mica capacitors as there's no benefit in replacing those!

The wiring loom was carefully checked over and any damaged section replaced keeping to the original wiring colours.

I've had quite a few Stereo 20's pass through my hands and this one really is rather special. It's effectively a brand new amp.

Please note that the power supply wiring to the octal pre-amp socket and auxiliary AC outlet have been removed and therefore this amp cannot be used with the matching Leak pre amp.

Will be supplied with a brand new JJ GZ34, 4x Edicron el84 and 3x ECC83 Golden Dragon but can be supplied with or without any of the valves, with the price adjusted accordingly.

Power cord included.

Further details of the rebuild here (the amp on page 3).

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/another-leak-stereo-20-restoration.268086/page-3

Collection only (Sheffield S36 area).

£1275

£100 non refundable deposit secures it for 1 month.

ST20 6 angle by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

ST20 6 board side view by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

St20 6 rear by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

ST20 6 top by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

ST20 6 underside by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Recent visitor has one and said it sounded better than several modern amps at a Bake-off.
Have we progressed?; discuss......

Is the input sensitivity standard or has it been lowered? I ask for it's suitability for use with a valve preamp. Thanks.

Is the input sensitivity standard or has it been lowered? I ask for it's suitability for use with a valve preamp. Thanks.
I haven't made any modifications to lower the sensitivity.

I'd recommend a passive pre as a perfect partner to the ST20.

I bought Mike's last one of these. Mines the beauty on page one of his link. It is stunning to look at and sounds even better. Mike has done an amazing rebuild to the highest standard. The buyer of this one is in for a super treat :)

I went (and took mine) to a recent Wam bakeoff where it received lots of positive comments.

You won't need it, but GLWS Mike!

Somebody, snap this up!!

If you aren't sure about an 'old amp with old tech' then take it from me - these are fantastic! Mine is paired with a set of Tannoy Turnberry and I could not be happier.

Mike's example looks absolutely pristine - good luck with the sale.

If you aren't sure about an 'old amp with old tech' then take it from me - these are fantastic! Mine is paired with a set of Tannoy Turnberry and I could not be happier.
I couldn't agree more. I have Ardens myself and a Leak Stereo 20 sounds wonderful through them.

Valve amp technology has been static for decades. A good valve amp from the 1960's still offers cutting edge sound quality today.

Heard one of these used with a top of the range dual mono MFA passive pre. Sounded fabulous!

I also use a MFA passive with my other Stereo 20. A match made in heaven into some vintage Tannoys!

advertisement

Back