advertisement

Full witch hat loom

I have a NAC 82 and two Hi Caps using Hatpin 5 cables from both and a Hatpin 4 to my NAP 180 which has WH Pheonix boards. I use WH Phantom speaker cables as well. So question is if I look to upgrade to Morgana cable in the future and not being able to change them all at the same time what is the best route. I assume the Hatpin 4 to the NAP 180 first? Or should it be the Hatpin 5 to the Hi Cap carrying the signal to the NAP 180? As the second Hi Cap is only providing power to and not routing the signal from the NAC 82 then is this not so important to change and could I leave it with the Hatpin 5 for the time. I know it would be best to change them all at once but even with any discount from sale times I can't spend that amount at the moment so looking at a longer term gradual upgrade.

Other will know more than I do, but I have recently swapped back and forth and now have a lot of Morganas as a result.

To me, the biggest change (going in my case from standard Naim cables, not Hatpins) was replacing the cable between preamp and its power supply, then the cable to the power amp. I also have Morgana signal-only leads - better than standard but only modestly to to my ear.

The big issue here is VFM. For less than the combined cost of those cables, you could swap your 180 for a second-hand 250. If and when you are ready to go further, the cost of the cables is a good start to ward saving up to swap 82 and both Hicaps for a 52 and a Supercap (or the 52 dedicated PS).

To my ears, both of those will give a bigger upgrade in sound than I got from Morganas, good though they are - and the old cables are quite good enough to show as much.

I hope that helps.

So question is if I look to upgrade to Morgana cable in the future and not being able to change them all at the same time what is the best route.
Start with the cables that carry signal and power, and then by the number of pins. In this case start with the 5 pin between the Hicap and 82, then the 4 pin between the Hicap and 180. No need to change the second power input on the 82 as it only carries power.

Start with the cables that carry signal and power, and then by the number of pins. In this case start with the 5 pin between the Hicap and 82, then the 4 pin between the Hicap and 180. No need to change the second power input on the 82 as it only carries power.
Thanks Mark

advertisement

Back