advertisement

Full witch hat loom

Hi @M@ver1ck, how is it going?

More generally, can I have some burn-in guidance from anyone? How many hours of use are needed before (a) cables that carry power and (b) cables that carry only signal start sounding pretty much like the fully-burned-in version?

2 to 4 weeks is average, most cables sound good from the off and then from day 2 or so onwards go through an up and down time before they settle down.
But obviously you need to be putting a signal through them to burn them in and this is why time differences occurs

Apart from Naim equipment, is anyone running the cables with different systems? Just wondered with all the positivity how they sound outside the naim ecosystem

Apart from Naim equipment, is anyone running the cables with different systems? Just wondered with all the positivity how they sound outside the naim ecosystem

Due to Naim's use of DIN sockets most of the Witch Hat interconnect cables are likely to be used in Naim systems with limited application in other systems. The speaker cables are of course universal provided you can use bananas at each end.

I have phantoms between dynavector hx1.2/2 and shahinian arcs. Morgana leads and burndy between linn akurate ds/ naim 52/ super cap and the aforesaid dynavector. Lush!

My cables arrived a couple of days earlier than expected - thanks Witch Hat. For such a small company, the packaging is impressive, though thankfully not to the point where one objects to paying lots extra for the box.

My immediate reaction is that the Burndy between 52 and Supercap had the biggest impact, but the cable from SC to 250 power amp was also very effective. Together, they mean that Jaco Pastorius' bass guitar on Don Juan's Reckless Daughter is better defined/ controlled (and the deepest notes perhaps a bit louder?), and it is very noticeable that the placing of his bass in the stereo space is a lot less vague to my old ears. The harmonica on the Cowboy Junkies' Postcard Blues is also a great test (it should be hair-raising, not be comfortingly smooth, but it should also be listenable). By comparison with the my old Naim cables, that harmonica is cleaner and less uncomfortable at high volume, but no less compelling.

The cable from Superline to 52 fits into the same mould - no change to boogie factors or tonal balance, but a bit quieter where silence should be (if you see what I mean), a bit better at sudden vigour and with a little more control at both frequency extremes.

The jury is out on the source-interconnects from NDX2, CDS2. Initially, I think them a bit better than my old grey (i.e. same as lavender) cables. Comparison with a Hi-line is harder - I can hear that there is a bit of a difference - if pushed, I'd claim that the music seems to flow a bit better and that the bass on Bela Flack's Cosmic Hippos is more precise, but I am not sure that I am not imagining that to be the difference because of what the first 2 hours showed the effect of the first group of cables to be.

Some blind testing by ambushing friends will help pin things down, but that (and less tentative conclusions from me) will have to wait for a couple of weeks, given the above comments about burn-in time. I may yet end up preferring Hi-line to Morgana here (though that's not my guess as I type), whereas I'll be very surprised indeed if I prefer the Naim Burndy (say) after this.

As for why I hear what I do, I don't know of course, but I suspect that the screening issue may be key.

The back of my rack is a mess and that is really not surprising - 6 boxes need mains power, the 52 preamp has 6 cables in the back, I have 4 sources (inc tape) and the stack is only 2 boxes wide. I have moved boxes to keep (for example) 52 and Supercap a good way apart, and there is only so much one can do about the resultant pickle. The ridiculous but apparently necessary 'dressing' of cables generally and Burndies in particular is a particular complication, and one that one could not have imagined when a great hi-fi had 1 source and 2-3 other boxes (all of which just want to be a little distance apart).

Witch Hat cables are stiffer than many, and I am sure that they are not immune to really bad organising around what touches what. However, I strongly suspect that some of what I don't like as much about the all-Naim sound is my fault, and would be improved if only I could really make every cable hang free, untouched by any other or the floor or the wall. With Witch Hat, the last few hours of swapping cables and positions of boxes and all that seems to suggest that they are considerably less sensitive to mush (and worse) from cable-on-cable action.

Does this square with what other people hear?

The Morganas may be better shielded, but I think they sound better if they hang without touching surfaces or other cables. They can be shaped quite easily though.

I have Morgana DIN to XLR pair between my 272 and 300DR. They are a bit like my grandchildren's pipe cleaner toys - in that you can shape them in all sorts of ways to avoid touching other cables - slightly more expensive tho"!
Definite step up from Naim stock sound wise...plus Naim's are no fun in the toy department!

Wrong thread. You want the one where real engineers and scientists discuss their published and well researched findings.
Good luck.

On cables 'burning in', I have never been very convinced by what I have heard but have not delved properly. It seem reasonable to me to test cables for efficacy with the ears that will be using them later (subject to all the endless caveats and discussion on other threads), but you are welcome to disagree.

As for 'scientists discussing their published and well-researched papers', I think it fair to say that there has been comparatively little of that, as even a fairly cursory examination often shows (see the ASR/ Atom thread) but we live in hope.

Last edited:
It's been a couple of months, and I heard no change after about 2 weeks, so I assume everything is now settled. My cable dressing still isn't great, but it is probably less bad than it was.

First, the Morganas all work, though signal-only interconnects seem a bit less effective than those carrying signal and power. The background is quieter and seems cleaner, sibilance is down (though it wasn't bad before), small details are more obvious and stereo separation is better. For a given volume, this also makes things sound a tad louder and more dynamic. There is no change in tone or any discernible character.

I just had to swap cables. Putting Naim standard into my 250 (all else equal) definitely muddied things, though I can't say anything was ruined by it.

However, the reason for the messing about was the arrival of a 300DR in place of my (serviced) olive 250. With Naim XLRs (I don't yet have Morgana XLRs), the 300DR was a big win, improving everything that the Morgana cables improved, and had across-the-board benefits, with the overall improvement very noticeable at both quieter than usual and louder than usual levels.

Switching to Morgana looks ok in sound upgrade per pound VFM when compared to the 250-300DR upgrade. However, in my system, the big VFM winners of the last 2 years were (a) dedicated mains supply from meter to hi-fi, and (b) Isocaoustics Gaia feet under my speakers - the former reduced background mush (and hence improved detail) at least as much as Lingo1-to-Lingo4 and Cirkus-to-Karousel did, and the latter 'just' cleaned up the bass (which turned out to have a big impact on just about everything). Each cost less than a couple of Morgana cables, but that doesn't make the cables bad value.

I will try Morgana Mono XLRs for the 300DR. Is there a sale coming soon? They aren't cheap...

A heads up, the Witch Hat Halloween sale is coming up soon. While you usually have to wait a while for the cables I'm sure the wait will be worthwhile.

advertisement

Back