advertisement

FUJI XT-5

Lordhenley

pfm Member
I've been using my Fuji X-100T lately and enjoying the photography experience especially with the old school controls on the top and aperture ring on the lens, plus my 17 year old son has pretty much took over the use of the Sony A6400

Looking at the current FujiFilm range of cameras they do an X-T5 which has the same approach as the X100, has anyone used this camera at all, any experiences they could share as I am tempted to buy one in the near future

Very best

Lee

Lee

I've not directly had a play with X-T5, though I have owned X-T1/2 and used X-T3 and X-T4

There are several (big) differences in coming from an X-T100

1) Weather sealing (resistance)
2) Sensor resolution (especially in case of X-T5)
3) IBIS (X-T5/X-T4)
4) AF speed - gets faster and faster with each generation, your X-T100 in real world terms is between the X-T1 and X-T2 in this regard.
5) AF tracking of moving subjects - better and better with each generation (but best with X-H2S)

Obviously an X-T5 is the latest model, but is is just old enough to go in the latest Fuji promotional deal https://fujifilm-x.com/en-gb/promot...-purchasing-a-fujifilm-x-t5-or-selected-kits/

Personally I wouldn't discount the older models, but then I'm mainly a still scene shooter, if you want to shoot action then the faster the AF the better (easier).

Lee

I've not directly had a play with X-T5, though I have owned X-T1/2 and used X-T3 and X-T4

There are several (big) differences in coming from an X-T100

1) Weather sealing (resistance)
2) Sensor resolution (especially in case of X-T5)
3) IBIS (X-T5/X-T4)
4) AF speed - gets faster and faster with each generation, your X-T100 in real world terms is between the X-T1 and X-T2 in this regard.
5) AF tracking of moving subjects - better and better with each generation (but best with X-H2S)

Obviously an X-T5 is the latest model, but is is just old enough to go in the latest Fuji promotional deal https://fujifilm-x.com/en-gb/promot...-purchasing-a-fujifilm-x-t5-or-selected-kits/

Personally I wouldn't discount the older models, but then I'm mainly a still scene shooter, if you want to shoot action then the faster the AF the better (easier).

Thanks for this and yes I do understand that there would be quite a jump in performance from the X100T, I doubt that I would be capturing any fast action images unless something took my eye when I was walking around the streets etc. My main reason for the XT range was the dials on the top of the camera, I do like this as an option as opposed to moving thumb wheels or going through menus etc

Anyone else got any experience of the XT range?

Thanks for this and yes I do understand that there would be quite a jump in performance from the X100T, I doubt that I would be capturing any fast action images unless something took my eye when I was walking around the streets etc. My main reason for the XT range was the dials on the top of the camera, I do like this as an option as opposed to moving thumb wheels or going through menus etc

Anyone else got any experience of the XT range?

If you don't need fast AF (but still good) and don't need IBIS, then I would look at a low mileage X-T3, should be about half the price of an X-T5

I have an XT2 which I really like but am leaning towards the XH2 right now. I don’t need it but sort of want a few of the things it offers (e.g. IBIS)

Quick update I brought a new XT5 today with the 16-55 kit lens, so far I’m impressed with what I’ve taken around the garden and inside the house, I’ll try and get out and about and take some pictures and post a few up on here

I'm keen to see the results. Is the 16-55 the 2.8 fixed aperture lens? I have the 18-55/2.8-4 and sometimes think I'd use it more if it were the 2.8, plus that extra 2mm at the wide end would make it a better all-in-one option for me.

There have been a few reviews online of the X-T5 saying that it requires the red badge lenses such as the XF16-55 f2.8 to get the best out of it. Fuji gives a list of recommended lenses on their web site.

JTC - the XF16-55 f2.8 is a fabulous lens, though bear in mind that it doesn't have built in image stabilisation, mine lives almost full time on an X-T4; another superb allrounder is the XF16-80 f4 which does have built in stabilisation and can be picked up a good bit cheaper than the red badge, which makes it ideal for use with X-T1 to X-T3.

There have been a few reviews online of the X-T5 saying that it requires the red badge lenses such as the XF16-55 f2.8 to get the best out of it. Fuji gives a list of recommended lenses on their web site.

JTC - the XF16-55 f2.8 is a fabulous lens, though bear in mind that it doesn't have built in image stabilisation, mine lives almost full time on an X-T4; another superb allrounder is the XF16-80 f4 which does have built in stabilisation and can be picked up a good bit cheaper than the red badge, which makes it ideal for use with X-T1 to X-T3.
TBF I'd put my 90/2 or first-gen 56/1.2 as sharper than the red badge zooms, and they aren't on the guest list, so I'd take that with a large pinch of marketing salt. Presumably they want to sell more lenses to those who are slumming with the previous generation of jam jar distorted crap - see also 16/1.4, 35/1.4 etc. :D

I've had both XF18-55 and XF16-55. Unless you need F2.8 throughtout the whole range the extra 16mm or weather sealing, then the XF18-55 is usually just as sharp as the XF16-55, that said I've not used it on a 40MP APSC sensor. The XF16-55 is quite a bit bigger (and heavier) than the XF18-55 and benefits form the slightly larger grip afforded by the later generation cameras (and of course the X-H body shape just lends itself to it).

I'd agree that the XF90mm and XF16mmF1.4 are both sharper than teh zooms, (the XF50-140 though is very sharp), and the newer XF18mmF1.4 is supposed to be super sharp.

I've had both XF18-55 and XF16-55. Unless you need F2.8 throughtout the whole range the extra 16mm or weather sealing, then the XF18-55 is usually just as sharp as the XF16-55, that said I've not used it on a 40MP APSC sensor. The XF16-55 is quite a bit bigger (and heavier) than the XF18-55 and benefits form the slightly larger grip afforded by the later generation cameras (and of course the X-H body shape just lends itself to it).

I'd agree that the XF90mm and XF16mmF1.4 are both sharper than teh zooms, (the XF50-140 though is very sharp), and the newer XF18mmF1.4 is supposed to be super sharp.
It's a while ago, but I remember I found the 16/55 could get pretty distorted - pincushion/barrel, the 18/55 much less so. I sold the 16/55, kept the 18/55 as a useful, sharp and manageable lens for my X-E3.

I'm keen to see the results. Is the 16-55 the 2.8 fixed aperture lens? I have the 18-55/2.8-4 and sometimes think I'd use it more if it were the 2.8, plus that extra 2mm at the wide end would make it a better all-in-one option for me.

Sorry my bad the lens is the 18-55/2.8-4, so far I am quite impressed with what I have taken

A few quick snaps

The Fountain Inn by henleymajor, on Flickr

f5.6 at 18mm 1/400 sec ISO 125

AVANTI by henleymajor, on Flickr

A cropped image using the train subject tracking mode. f3.2 at 18mm 1/2000 sec ISO 125. All the images from this set of pictures were locked onto the front of the train which was travelling at full speed through the local station

M5 Southbound by henleymajor, on Flickr

This was taken out of a moving train window which wasn't the cleanest. f2.8 at 18mm 1/2000 sec ISO 5000. No sharpening was added in LR

NewST Barrier by henleymajor, on Flickr

New street station f2.8 at 18mm 1/2000 sec ISO 12800. No AI was used in LR

New St BArrier2 by henleymajor, on Flickr

New street station f2.8 at 18mm 1/2000 sec ISO 12800. For this image I used the new AI function in LR for this iamge

Ghost Train by henleymajor, on Flickr

This was again shot through the train window stationary this time. f3.5 at 35mm 1/125 sec ISO 10000, no AI was used in LR

So far from what I have seen the XT5 is quite a capabale camera, I am still getting used to the settings especially the auto focus modes. The AF is pretty impressive and locks on very quickly to a subject and gets focused pretty much straight away

A few initial shots around the garden, not much of a subject matter though, these have all been cropped

Flower by henleymajor, on Flickr

f4.0 at 55mm 1/80 sec ISO 320

Peggy by henleymajor, on Flickr

f4.0 at 55mm 1/500 sec ISO 1000

ECM by henleymajor, on Flickr

f2.8 at 18mm 1/45 sec ISO 2000

Brian the snail by henleymajor, on Flickr

Heavily cropped image and used LR new AI function, this was a very tiny snail in our back garden. f4.0 at 55mm 1/5000 at ISO 3200

Every chance although I have been looking at a few options from Viltrox especially the new PRO series albeit that its a 75mm focal length

My advice would be careful with 3rd party lenses, apart from Sigma and Tamron, they are not built to the same standard as the native glass, they may/may not be able to handle the resolution and the deal breaker for me is that the colour rendition is often quite different to the Fuji glass.

advertisement

Back