advertisement

fresh computer audio

Guys I clicked all the links, but does a mini pc exist with an SPDIF out? Some say SPDIF compatible, I don't know what that means.

I am looking for a cheap as chips experiment but frankly have my doubts about USB out, which I am currently using.

I like the looks of this, an frankly I think a dual core is more than enough for something that will do only audio duties

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=291149483349

But its saying digital audio is available from the hdmi.

Any other ideas in the same price bracket? (I have harddrives and ram sticks coming out my ying yang)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Informed opinion seems to be that audio was a very poor second cousin to video in the design process when the hdmi standard was written, and that it's unlikely to present any improvement over USB. I'd suggest using an async USB dac, or USB spdif converter as already suggested.

Any other ideas in the same price bracket? (I have harddrives and ram sticks coming out my ying yang)

The Gigabyte Brix models are very similar to the NUC models, but they have optical SPDIF out on the headphone socket.

This would make a very good music PC. Just add RAM and an SSD and a HDD if you want internal media storage.

Informed opinion seems to be that audio was a very poor second cousin to video in the design process when the hdmi standard was written, and that it's unlikely to present any improvement over USB. I'd suggest using an async USB dac, or USB spdif converter as already suggested.

+1

AFAIK HDMI audio clock is derived from the video clock so when there is no video it should be poor in terms of timing.

So now I have my iPad playing through my dac and it sounds ok. I'm hoping I can listen to internet radio through my iPad. That's for tomorrow ;)

advertisement

Back