advertisement

fresh computer audio

Thanks guys, yes I did look at a Mac mini. I've had a look at a couple of the cheaper Hackintosh things and one of these might fit the bill but again I'm not computer savvy. I would like to stick with Mac OS though so I can have everything tied together.
I'm not skint but it'll be a while before I get back to work so I'm reluctant to spend unnecessarily. I'm a bit of a hoarder so maybe I should flog some gear off.

The G5 will run Snow Leopard. I have that same OS on both my G4 Mac Mini and my Intel aluminium Mini and its good enough. I am running the latest Amarra 3 under SL.

The G4 Mini can run Pure Music.

You need to be really savvy to waste time with a Hackintosh! Don't waste your time.

Cheers,

DV

Thanks guys, yes I did look at a Mac mini. I've had a look at a couple of the cheaper Hackintosh things and one of these might fit the bill but again I'm not computer savvy. I would like to stick with Mac OS though so I can have everything tied together.
I'm not skint but it'll be a while before I get back to work so I'm reluctant to spend unnecessarily. I'm a bit of a hoarder so maybe I should flog some gear off.

I couldn't agree more.

Having a good old clean-out followed by a wise HiFi decision reaps heaps of happiness :)

Peter

I have a G4 with SL running on it.

Cheers,

DV

Originally you said the G5 will run SL which it won't - i.e. you can't buy new or 2nd hand any copy of SL that will run on the G4/G5 PPC architecture -as it was never released anywhere.

If have a G4 running SL then thats pd impressive.

Either you have access to some sort of unreleased apple development code or your unix development skills are even more impressive.

Not much use to the person with the G5 though, unless you're prepared to share it with him provide him support that'd presumably be needed for whats effectively beta code.

From cnet
Snow Leopard PowerPC Support: NONE!

Snow Leopard will not run on any PowerPC system, even PowerPC G5 systems that are 64-bit capable. If you have a PowerBook G4, iBook G4, PowerMac G4, Mac Mini (G4), iMac G4, iMac G5, or PowerMac G5, do not buy Snow Leopard since you will not be able to install it. Apple has split away from PowerPC, and while there are technical reasons for why the 64-bit architecture in the PowerPC will not work with the latest OS, the fact that Apple has switched architectures is the primary reason for the drop in support.
You must have magic powers DV:)

From cnet
Snow Leopard PowerPC Support: NONE!

You must have magic powers DV:)

Yep, and not being computer savvy it took me a while to figure out why I couldn't get into the apple store and sync with my iPhone and iPad. I believe there are security issues as well without the support so I think I need to take stock of the situation. Anyway the G5 is a big beast of a thing, it takes up a lot of room so maybe I should look for a neater solution.

My new dac has arrived ( thank you tinturkey ) I made up a 75 ohm cable this morning and it's singing away fed from my AAA5. It sounds a bit harsh to me atm so I'm going to leave it playing for a while. Camera kit for my ipad should be here tomorrow so I just need a decent short A to B usb lead. Now then this being a digital signal should the quality of the lead be important or does it just need to be fit for purpose? I laughed my bollox off last night when I saw a fancy usb lead for 335 quid :eek: Should I just go for a two quidder or should I push the boat out for something with a bit of gold plate for less than a tenner?

My new dac has arrived ( thank you tinturkey ) I made up a 75 ohm cable this morning and it's singing away fed from my AAA5. It sounds a bit harsh to me atm so I'm going to leave it playing for a while. Camera kit for my ipad should be here tomorrow so I just need a decent short A to B usb lead. Now then this being a digital signal should the quality of the lead be important or does it just need to be fit for purpose? I laughed my bollox off last night when I saw a fancy usb lead for 335 quid :eek: Should I just go for a two quidder or should I push the boat out for something with a bit of gold plate for less than a tenner?

Good grief, here we go again.

Chops, I would suggest you look back at past threads on usb cables. In summary.

0. Any old usb2 cable.
1. Any old expensive USB cable.

toss coin, heads 0, tails 1, make decision. Or spend thousands of hours worrying about various shaded of exactly the same.

Enjoy your answers, they will come thick and fast.

I was merely asking for a bit of guidance. I don't have any fancy cables in my system and I certainly won't be worrying about it that's for sure! I'll get my two quid out.

I've tried various hardware/software setups (streaming and otherwise) and settled on a fairly straightforward solution as a self contained digital A/V transport (for music and HD video):

- Intel i5-4250 NUC PC in silent Akasa Tesla H case (16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 2TB HDD)
- JRiver (Standard install, output via ASIO)
- Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 Asynchroneous USB SPDIF Interface

Everything is ripped to the PC (or streamed from the Internet), and the media drive is backed up periodically to a physical USB HDD. Control via IR or Bluetooth mouse/keyboard/PS3 remote means no reliance on WiFi or LAN at all. It's also highly portable with no requirement for network attached storage.

Sound wise, I've tried installing JPlay and it's no better than standard JRiver IMO. In fact, it's probably the best transport I've ever used. IMO the PC has come of age as an audio solution.

JRiver is a great piece of software and re. JPlay, didn't really hear any difference either. I would have kept it but preferred headless solution in the end.

advertisement

Back