advertisement

For those wot like zappa

Favourite Zappa album? It's difficult to say, really. Possibly something mid-seventies, though - maybe OSFA.

I tended to believe that Frank just described what he saw. Unfortunately, he seems only to have seen US television, the inside of recording studios or otherwise be on-the-road with various bands . It's no wonder his post-1970 music turned in on itself. Still, I enjoy most of it (with certain exceptions - Them or Us and Thing Fish, hang your heads in shame).

Regardless, the Yellow Shark and Civilization Phase 3 are both excellent, while no self-respecting record collection should omit Freak Out, Absolutely Free, WOIFTM, Weasels Ripped my Flesh, Uncle Meat and Lumpy Gravy. IMO The latter two get unfairly missed out.

I find the very early stuff to weird and off music TBH. Probably more Side Show Bobs idea of music. Ic an listen to it, but just.

That period of waka jawaka, grand wazoo and his more formal stuff like that I enjoy.

That being said, cheap thrills is a good album with a mix of humour and serious.

As for a favourite, that one is difficult but for an album I am happy to listen straight through on, its probably Joes Garage.

Hard to pick a favourite, perhaps One Size Fits All . Or "Shut up and play your Guitar". Or some of his more ambitious compositions like Yellow Shark. Or...
(I tend to prefer his middle period, when he had really proficient musicians and worked them hard, but before he ran out of steam - Broadway The Hard Way an unfortunate example of this. So the bands with George Duke, Patrick O'Hearn, Terry Bozio, Ray White, Ike Willis, etc. ) I'm a bit less keen on some of the early Mothers stuff, although it seems to be the musical basis for much of the good stuff that followed.
Other albums: Live in NY, Apostrophe, and of course the wonderful Hot Rats.

Overnite Sensation is excellent - good playing and some great songs. "Montana" is highlight - and features Tina Turner and the Ikettes on backing vocals.

Filmore East live is basically a shaggy dog story, but has some great playing on it, and great singing - he had the Turtles as singers in that version of his band.

Personally I'm a big fan of Hot Rats, but not everything else I've heard. What else is in the same vein?

Waka jawaka, Grand Wazzo, Some of sleep dirt (the vinyl version of sleep dirt had none of the horrendous opera singing in it)

Waka jawaka, Grand Wazzo, Some of sleep dirt (the vinyl version of sleep dirt had none of the horrendous opera singing in it)

Thanks for that. Is it utterly unrealistic to think of finding vinyl copies at a reasonable price? I recall reading that the CD re-mastering (by the man himself?) was not particularly good, but that couldn't apply to everything, could it?

Zappa must have had a bit of OCD regarding recording every concert he did, and they are always really good cuts as well, must be straight from the desk surely.

He bought the Beach Boys mobile rig - a studio in the back of an artic lorry (that's almost laughable now you can do it with a laptop and audio interface :) ) so the live recordings are basically 'studio quality'. If you will.

In it for the money is my favourite too. I love the dangerous kitchen, but I'm not sure it's on an album - I've only got a recording from a live doovder.

2by2, I did not spend big money on any of the zappa albums I had on vinyl (And have now sold)

Sleep Dirt is normally quite cheap. Good quality wazzoo is around the 20 mark (or at least was)

Favourite has got to be Hot Rats. It's got it all - it's mainly instrumental, with some mad instrumentation. Peaches en Ragalia is everything I love about Zappa in a single song (except no marimba thinking about it).

Cesare

Most of Sheikh Yerbouti is superb.

My favourite track is the instrumental cut together out of two totally separate and unrelated live jams playing simultaneously, it just hangs together so perfectly you'd never guess it wasn't 'for real'.

Tony.

I was not overly impressed with the production values of sheik or a number of albums around that period (tinsel town is another)where frank had obviously taken on digital audio. Sounds a bit wolly, a little better on vinyl.

My favourite track is the instrumental cut together out of two totally separate and unrelated live jams playing simultaneously, it just hangs together so perfectly you'd never guess it wasn't 'for real'.

Tony.

That would be Yo Mama. Favourite track of the whole album, a whole side.

I was not overly impressed with the production values of sheik or a number of albums around that period (tinsel town is another)where frank had obviously taken on digital audio. Sounds a bit wolly, a little better on vinyl.

I have an LP and it sounds OK, on my budget Hifi at least.

Original Sheik is analogue. Tinseltown makes no claims to be digital, so it probably isn't.

Paul

There are some digitally re-mastered LPs around, too. Mine is one of those (German EMI pressing) and it does not sound bad. There are 2 different CD masterings on Ryko.
Garyi, which LP did you listen to?

advertisement

Back