advertisement

For those wot like zappa

garyi

leave blank
There has been quite a bit of output from the zappa vaults in the absence of the great man himself. Some good and some not so good.

Imaginary Diseases is one of the good ones.

ZPCD66.jpg

Well worth the punt. Mostly available on import from the USA but at 6 quid with 2 quid delivery hardly a problem.

A really good slab of zappa guitar and zappa jazz. No singing, no stupidity (well perhaps a bit of musical piss taking) but otherwise really good.

Zappa must have had a bit of OCD regarding recording every concert he did, and they are always really good cuts as well, must be straight from the desk surely.

Anyhow, this is a recommended by me, FWIW.

Andrew , what Zappa have you listened to , his styles are varied , I'm loving his guitar stuff , all instrumental with an intimate Jazz feel to it.

Andrew I found a you tube clip .go to you tube , type in Zappa ship ahoy , dont play the one that says live at ***** .

Imaginary Diseases, IIRC, was one of the 'better' boots you used to occasionally find at record fairs, before the ZFA started 'legitimising' the boots with 'official' releases. A pal of my dad's knew a bloke who I never met called Fred who had something in the order of five or six hundred Zappa vinyl boots, and he'd send some down from time to time, or tapes. Never did meet the guy (Fred, though I never met Frank either, of course).

Anyway, as to Zappa - his body of work is the widest in contemporary music bar none - everything from eastern polyrhythmic music to rock, via jazz, soul, country, doo-wap, electronica, conventional classical, avant garde classical, rap, the list goes on and on...

So, it's only natural that a random listen or even three may throw up some stuff that you just don't get nor like. I can't really get my head round the really 'out there' guitar improv on SUAPYG, and don't really have a lot of time for some of his most highly acclaimed work (the Boulez-conducted 'Yellow Shark' being a case point), but there is simply SO MUCH of value within his body of work that there has to be something for everyone*.

* except my wife, who really cannot stand the man or his music, no matter how hard I've tried to slip a little Frank into her life.... ;)

I kind of like Zappa but he irritates me too, the 'funny' stuff is all too often annoying and the muso stuff just too muso. I recently slimmed my already comparatively small collection down to just Freak Out! and Absolutely Free, i.e. the two main 60s psychedelic works that still managed to set the ground for so much Zappa that came later. I'd say they are clearly my favourites from what I've heard (which is far from all).

Perhaps it's time for a 'What's your favourite Zappa / Mothers album?' diversion. Mine is Freak Out!.

Tony.

Building on Tony's description...

I would like to suggest strong correlations between the genius of Zappa and that of vuk.

Mostly pertinent and revealing, usually technically excellent - occasionally irritating, and where does all that misogynist / Sam Fox stuff come from???

I've never heard that one, though I've got a really wrecked copy in my reject pile that might still play, albeit noisily, so I'll give it a good scrub and a spin at some point.

Tony.

advertisement

Back