advertisement

Folk/Acoustic

I forgot to add my 1 weekend ES inclusion. Everything Reminds Me Of Her.

I put a good cover of this up before, but the guitar patterns of the original (with the gorgeous, light tremolo'd electric layered over the acoustic) just seems to get better for me, over time: rarely any song achieves this in my book. Really solid poetic lyrics too. It really is one of his very best, & I think most ES fans would agree too.

Capt
Streaming this now... very nice, too short though.
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Streaming this now... very nice, too short though.
Pleased to read this Mac.

Spot on, too short indeed. It often amazes me how much he crams in to a 2-3 minute song. Just one way he's master-crafter of a song to me- anyone else would've stretched that out to 4 mins.

It's a dense & varied album, almost too rich to take on board I remember on 1st listen. Quite a banger generally, with some splendid quiet numbers.

Capt

Bank holiday Pentangle treat.

Uploaded on 2 days ago, so maybe only just available-? Not sure if I've seen before, quite possibly not.

BBC 1/2 hour studio tv show. J.McShee's vocals shine here, all from Basket Of Light too iirc, their best for me.

Capt

I liked the snippet of Youri Lentjes. Interesting name will investigate.

My ES weekend addiction-inclusion.

Another cover- this guy tightens up the original, impressively & comments below fairly amazed too at how accurate it is. He kinda misses on the RH thumb, bass notes (so important on ES originals), otherwise super-good. Another short 3min song brimful of shifts, melody & richness.

Capt

@maccar Interesting inclusion of Anna Leone, rarely do I find a black female folk musician- how often found on your mighty thread? Rarely it seems to me- lovely simplicity to that song like an earthier less pouty Mazzy Star or summat. And she has leather patches on her elbows too, which means you can trust her.

Capt

I've been up on Shetland for a couple of weeks, and bought Claire White and Robbie Leask's album "Lasses Trust in Providence". Here's Betty Mouat's Sang (in Shetland dialect so you'll have to listen carefully). In 1886, at the age of 59, Betty drifted alone for nine days on a boat from Shetland to Norway after the skipper was washed overboard and the other crew tried to recue him with a dinghy but after couldn't catch up with the boat. She eventually got back home, and her cottage is now a böd (which I stayed in some years ago).

My 2nd ES wknd allowance. A song I've zipped by/ overlooked due to the rather high ES vox register, which even still puts me off sometimes. This cover tho, by this talented chap -just- reins in the high vox style, making it more palatable.

Just consider the structure of this.. all crammed into just 2-1/2 mins. Astonishes me.

Capt

Track from the new Anna Tivel album Living Thing, still nowhere near the quality of her earlier stuff imo
I know what you mean, on first listen it hasn’t drawn me in.

Blue World is the album that gripped me. The piano and percussion (from Galen Clark & Micah Hummel according to Roon) produced something magical to me. Particularly, the piano, adds so much to the atmosphere of the stories.

I bought most of the others but my hand automatically selects Blue World, must give the others another airing.

Credit to you for maintaining this thread. Good to see another Electrocompaniet user too.

I know what you mean, on first listen it hasn’t drawn me in.

Blue World is the album that gripped me. The piano and percussion (from Galen Clark & Micah Hummel according to Roon) produced something magical to me. Particularly, the piano, adds so much to the atmosphere of the stories.

I bought most of the others but my hand automatically selects Blue World, must give the others another airing.

Credit to you for maintaining this thread. Good to see another Electrocompaniet user too.
Makes me wonder if she's been leaned on by the record label as this new stuff is, musically, so far removed from her early recordings... got Blue World on now, hmm might have to see if I can get it on CD... I do love her album The Question.
Would never be without my EMC1UP
and the pleasure's all mine to keep the thread going, can't believe it's had over 100K views.

Makes me wonder if she's been leaned on by the record label as this new stuff is, musically, so far removed from her early recordings... got Blue World on now, hmm might have to see if I can get it on CD... I do love her album The Question.
Would never be without my EMC1UP
and the pleasure's all mine to keep the thread going, can't believe it's had over 100K views.
I’ll go for the Tivel swap with you. It’s been a good discovery evening between yourself, @Tony L and others. Thanks. Off with the streamer and on with The Question on CD; back on solids, as I like to think of it.

Drew me in on first listen, just on an ipad, very much so: maybe my ears are kinda 'conditioned' so, as I think that one perhaps reminds me of the structure of a Nina Nastasia's song. I'd not heard of her before hearing this. I'm enjoying the 2 'lighter' songs continuing after too- hmm impressed.

I must check those two earlier albums you guys mentioned then. Good stuff Maccar, impeccable taste as usual.

Capt

advertisement

Back