advertisement

Folk/Acoustic

"Kaunokaiset" on Mateli by Kiisa Matveinen and Tellu Virkkala (also known as Tellu, Tellu Paulasto and Tellu Turkka-

3Jo meistä ero tulevi"by Suden Aika (Tellu is part of the lineup) on Etsijä

Same title on Slavonic Tractor's eponymous album

Same basic text retitled "Niiv's Cauldron" on Omnia, Reflexions

And if you root around on youtube there are quite a few more interpretations out there

Little did I know all those years ago I'd be a follower of Folk.
She's the subject of the latest Folk on Foot pod.
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Tbh Maccar, I think these earliest songs I likely ever heard (apart from my Ma's lullabys naturally) kinda nurtured my love of folk before any other kind of music. Camberwick Green too. Even before Prokofiev's Peter & The Wolf which my Ma insisted on. The fly in the ointment a couple of years later on from Bagpuss, & such a fabulous fly it was, was the fuzz guitar on Roobarb & Custard theme. I honestly believe that made me to want to play 'nasty guitar' aged 6, & then lead me astray & onto the 'dark side', Led Zeppelin (aged 11).. then punk/ hardcore etc!

Are you referring to Sandra Kerr here?

Tbh Maccar, I think these earliest songs I likely ever heard (apart from my Ma's lullabys naturally) kinda nurtured my love of folk before any other kind of music. Camberwick Green too. Even before Prokofiev's Peter & The Wolf which my Ma insisted on. The fly in the ointment a couple of years later on from Bagpuss, & such a fabulous fly it was, was the fuzz guitar on Roobarb & Custard theme. I honestly believe that made me to want to play 'nasty guitar' aged 6, & then lead me astray & onto the 'dark side', Led Zeppelin (aged 11).. then punk/ hardcore etc!

Are you referring to Sandra Kerr here?
Yes Sandra Kerr, Mother of Nancy Kerr.
Camberwick Green... now you're talking! Chigley, Trumpton too
The artist in me hated the drawings of R&C, that was in the days when I could see of course.
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

New single from Jessica Pratt from her upcoming album 'Here in the Pitch' was released the other day. A change in direction which may make it less suitable for this thread, but it did remind me what a beautiful album 'Quiet Signs' was from 2019. Well worth a listen for anyone not familiar:

Jessica_Pratt_-_Quiet_Signs.png

That's one helluva lovely mouth harp business there, never heard as rich a tone as that from one, unamplified. Fabulous playing too. Although I admit to being unable to rid Vic & Bob's dirgy gas incident song from my head during it, this is an eg I think of where UK folk really is king of the hill- you hear the english history, landscape; the depth & simplicity. And it's modern too. Another impressive inclusion Maccar.

Capt
Upvote to this. I've become a little obsessed with that Doyle & Andersson track. I'll concede that I tend to listen to more alt-folk/psych-folk than trad, but the tone and pulsing rhythm from that harp has kept me coming back for more. Great stuff 👍

Don't ever be sorry Macca.. we appreciate all your continual suggestions. The Robber song chap seems to be a very fine lyricist, just my first impression. I'm listening to your Ned Roberts chap too.. & the subtle added synth inflection reminiscent of Lou Barlow's solo ventures, to my ears.

Very early Lou Barlow song & a huge fav of mine I play in my Bothi on my cheapo romanian acoustic, 4-string tuned a la LB. The second ditty song starts at 2:50 ( lofi noodling between). Both first on earliest Sebadoh lofi albums.

Capt

advertisement

Back