Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

fo.q tape

Discussion in 'audio' started by MarkieW, Jun 30, 2022.

1. NickofWimbledon

NickofWimbledon Well-Known Member

The Clangers were often keen on science & engineering IIRC, so it's a double-win.

Adding mass can change resonances to just where you don't want them, but resonant frequency of a hardback seemed not to be a problem. The issue that it helped address (according to 3 out of 3 listeners) was small and appeared volume-dependent, probably connected to transmission through the air or (less likely given what is under the boxes) through the floor.

This is easy and free to experiment with, though the 'problem' may only apply in room where the speakers point (to some extent) at the the hi-fi. Just don't put a lot of stuff an amps and then wait for them to cook...

2. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Cartoon animals here. One on each side of the room lest the soundstage should become twisted irreparably (Droopy not shown.)

[​IMG]

3. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr neither here nor there

Doth Thilvethter the cat help with thibilanthe?

4. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Yes, although the humidity levels can get quite high. And he has to be kept well away from the tweeters, obvs.

5. adamdea

adamdea You are not a sound quality evaluation device

I was under the impression that this had at least been implied by cable vendors. If you are telling me that it is never marketed as anything other than a tough coating I might be arsed to investigate. But if that was a mere question then I would point you to the evidence of Sue who is a lighting rod for such ideas.

edit- “rhodium is not high on the conductivity scale but it does impart a unique sound quality that many auiophiles prefer”
    https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/mains-cables-r-us-reference-mains-plug-2/
    That took 20 seconds

6. NickofWimbledon

Lots of cable vendors and/or makers make statements like this without any justification, just as @adamdea says.

Similarly, more than one fish and chip shop claims to be "London's favourite". That doesn't prove that all the fish tastes the same, but it certainly doesn't provide any help to someone wondering where to eat.

A review of one shop that claimed its fish was life-alteringly great, without any useful specifics or comparisons or recognition that tastes legitimately differ, would be useless too.

Another review that slated the restaurant because of a measurement to 7 decimal places of where the fish came from or what exactly was in the cooking oil or how well-printed the menus were would also not help.

7. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

I never thought it would improve the sound, so I was never arsed to look for or at any claims. I plug and unplug cables frequently so I am only interested in the toughness. I do hear differences between cables, but have never changed plugs to that end.

8. MarkieW

MarkieW pfm Member

OK just to relight this fire, or more accurately to give the results of my experiment, I took the advice of someone much further up this thread and applied the tape to the caps in the crossover. I was a bit hesitant to do this since it involved prying off a cover round the driver, however it turned out to be a lot easier than I feared (how often does that happen?!)

Turned out to be nice and easy to apply to the caps, pic attached...
    [​IMG]

The difference was immediately noticeable. Better, tighter bass, richer mid, more detail and clarity at the top, better timing and stereo image, the sound just popped out of the speakers like never before, more life, more magic. Few examples, the synth in Equinoxe V flicking back and forth in the first minute much better defined, the bass in Pearl Jam Alive always a bit overblown in my room, now tighter and more bearable, the opening to sweet dreams are made of this is now truly amazing....

It took me 10 mins per speaker and I used about £3 worth of tape. I got improvements that people will pay thousands of pounds for. You can nay say and poo poo foo foo all you like. It makes an amazing positive difference. I have enough left to do some crossovers. If anyone has an open mind and lives near E Cheshire, I will come and apply it to your crossover and you can judge for yourself. It works, it sounds great and it is the best bang for the buck change you can make to your system.

Fergus likes this.
  9. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

Yawn ……

chiily and narabdela like this.
  10. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Thanks I'll order some right away.

Fatmarley, sq225917, Durmbo and 3 others like this.
  11. NickofWimbledon

Thanks @MarkieW, it’s good to see the naysayers haven’t put you off, even if this is too DIY for me.

12. Rosie

Rosie pfm Member

Nice one MarkieW , great photo

13. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

14. Rosie

Rosie pfm Member

Wrong product , different manufacturer . Misinformation

Thanks

15. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

Indeed, it was more of the same market sector than the same manufacturer.

We can agree on the misinformation though ;)

Durmbo and adamdea like this.
  16. MarkieW

MarkieW pfm Member

Its simple really, do the experiment, see what the results are.... The results are that this tape works. Dunno why it is so controvesial. I have even offered to let someone else try it!

17. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

What make/ model are the loudspeakers?

18. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

If the sound has changed then the speaker’s measurements will have changed but I am guessing that there were neither any simple controls or measurements in your experiment?
    Keith

19. MarkieW

MarkieW pfm Member

Boston Acoustic A360

20. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Thanks, rather a lot of 'lytic caps in that crossover. The DCD Deep channel design bass drivers for 'more output for less power and lower distortion' made me chuckle.