Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

fo.q tape

Discussion in 'audio' started by MarkieW, Jun 30, 2022.

1. MarkieW

MarkieW pfm Member

I have seen a fair bit written about this "miracle rubber" tape on US audiophile boards, but not much chatter on the UK side of the pond, so I thought I would give it a go and order some to see what the fuss was about.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22497587...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Anyway, it duly turns up a few weeks ago and I finally got round to applying it. The idea is that its special formula turns vibrations into heat and cleans up the sound. You apply it not only to the chassis of equipment, but also to the tops of capacitors inside your system too, around power connectors, onto fuses, speaker driver frames, phono headshells, in fact anywhere where vibration could be detrimental.

(System list: Zenith Mk3, Phoenix USB, M scaler with Farad 3 PSU, Chord Dave, Avondale Grad1 pre amp, Avondale NCC300 monoblock power amps, Boston Acoustic A360 speakers, Atlas EOS 4DD power cables, Townshend Fractal interconnects)

I started off applying it to the underside of the chassis of PSUs, source, DAC, preamp and amps and had a listen. Then I tried opening up the equipment and applying it to capacitors, one piece of equipment at a time.

The results? The chassis test gave a welcome uplift in performance, added a nice bit of pixie dust onto the whole proceedings, everything seemed just more right, more image, better bass, better detail. Really nice

Then the capacitors test. OH. MY. GOD. What a difference. Its like a £3000+ upgrade in a DAC/amp for example. I would almost say its transformed my system. Better musicality, less hifi. Sound explodes out of the speakers rather than being contained by them. Its incredible. Better everything. More detail, tighter bass, and the whole projection of sound that no longer comes from speakers. Im in shock really at how much positive difference it makes. Some might ask does it muffle anything, answer no. It kills the noise making detail clearer.

To all those who think this is snake oil/nonsense/rip off/scam - just try it, then comment. No financial interest, just interest in great sounding hifi. You can find it easily from other people on ebay.

Finally heres the dealer in the US using it. Dont need to be circles, just a square that doesnt go over the edge of the cap is fine https://www.lotusgroupusa.com/blog/mishap-equals-opportunity

Just to be clear, there are two thicknesses TA102 (which is all I have used so far,) and TA32, thinner and more suitable for wrapping around the connectors of cables - which is the next experiment, watch this space....

Darren and Fergus like this.
  2. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Has the ghost of Peter Belt returned to haunt audio equipment ?

3. cj66

cj66 pfm Member

Possibly bitumen tape?

I've used that inside lids of HiFi bits with a very slight benefit.
    More beneficial for car audio.
    I've seen it used as described in the OP as well. Sounds like a foo'd version to me i.e. an excuse to add a zero to the asking price ;)

4. canonman

canonman pfm Member

Don't tell John Weslake

Rosewind and Nero like this.
  5. Durmbo

Durmbo not French

I stopped doing these sorts of tweaks a long time ago & have had much less hi-fi neurosis since. :)

6. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

I never started...

nitrous likes this.
  7. MarkieW

MarkieW pfm Member

Its £60 - just try it rather than speculating....

Tarzan likes this.
  8. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

I’d rather give £60.00 to a charity of my choice, thank you.

JTWzen, Tigerjones, lAmBoY and 9 others like this.
  9. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

You may say you have fairies at the bottom of your garden. Doesn't mean I'm going to look at the bottom of mine.

nitrous, Bob McC, cooky1257 and 2 others like this.
  10. Fergus

Fergus pfm Member

You’re wasting your time with those who “know” better!

NickofWimbledon, Tarzan and MarkieW like this.
  11. simon g

simon g Older, wiser but no longer retired

I like a bit of foo, but that's just stupid. Turning vibrations in to heat? Like Sorbothane, for example? Or any number of any other substances/items/etc.

That's just a bit of technical waffle to confuse the ignorant and play in to the 'it must be good as it's expensive' mindset.

As to putting bits of sticky stuff on tops of caps. First off; say goodbye to any warranty you might have had.

Resulting in differences as you describe? Do you not think that the established and successful manufacturers would have cottoned on to this? Just think, they could justify a £3000 increase in their prices for the additional cost of 10p, were what you say to be true.

As to the old line of 'don't knock what you haven't tried yourself; well, I'm absolutely sure I won't like the taste of a dog turd. I've never actually tasted a dog turd and I'm certainly not going to do so to prove my hypothesis.

If you believe that you're hearing these significant improvements then good for you. I would suggest you also take a look at:

https://pwbelectronics.co.uk/images-of-our-products

Loads and loads of stuff to buy on there; by the time you've finished you'll have a system that sounds like a million dollar system. No, honestly you will.

Scotchegg, chiily and Durmbo like this.
  12. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Champagne fascia aficionado

fo.Qing hell, what a lot of guff

klfrs, Funk and Somafunk like this.
  13. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I'm going to give this a free pass simply because it comes from Japan and I have a soft spot for all things Japanese audiophile (I've even bought magic wooden isolators and suchlike when I've spotted them for a few quid in BIC Camera).

I noticed the manufacturer's website suggests "you can attach it to walls, windows, ceilings, and the like". DIY padded cell anyone?

Tigerjones likes this.
  14. MarkieW

MarkieW pfm Member

Hehe - you lot are laughable. Not even curious to try something new. Have a Google around, it's actually highly rated. I thought I'd give it a go. It exceeded my expectations by a long way. It made a bigger difference than adding on the Phoenix reclocker, or adding on the M scaler, or going from a Qutest to the Dave. Its that big. For 60 quid. But all you do is sneer. You can lead a horse to water etc....

Your loss

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    the caretaker and Fergus like this.
  15. Locheeboy

Locheeboy pfm Member

My nephew got that corrugated foam on ebay - 24 half-metre squares ...£8.95, free postage...:cool:

16. hc25036

hc25036 pfm Member

[Dilemma mode on} Do I copy and paste my other posts on the power of expectation bias?

No - CBA [Dilemma mode off]

17. adamdea

adamdea You are not a sound quality evaluation device

Why would you attach it to windows?

18. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Champagne fascia aficionado

For the same reason you would attach it to capacitors.

19. the caretaker

the caretaker pfm Member

You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead...

NickofWimbledon and Colonel_Mad like this.
  20. Nero

Nero Don’t call me Bud

Damping stuff like that does convert energy to heat, so it does do something (science - that’s how damping works). Whether it has anything to do with hifi is moot. If the OP likes it, who cares?

But there are too many punters who believe this stuff.