advertisement

Floorstanders to replace LS3/5a

NS1000Ms won't budge of any stand unless you throw a wrecking ball towards them! Would be a great match with the valve amp too, as well as integrated grilles to protect drivers from cat claws!

Considering selling my LS3/5a V2’s as the cat won’t be happy until he’s pushed them off their stands!

I’ve never been a fan of floorstanders, but they seem like great material value by comparison to little BBC style monitors. For example, Spendor S8e, £600 on Ebay.

Amplifier would be Primaluna valve amp, around 30wpc. Room 3mx4m, but with an open staircase. Terrace house, so listening levels constrained.

Any recommendations?
Don't do it!

As a floorstanders, I would suggest Totem Arro.

I replaced a pair of standpoints for some Ruark Talisman II’s. The cat now tries to run up them 🙄. A water pistol is your best friend.

Not a floorstander but how about Wilmslow Audio LS3s - the reason they may work is that I believe they are made to go right up against the wall, so there could be a way of putting them safely on a shelf. You could ring Wilmslow Audio and check that. There's a cheap made up pair on ebay now.

What a shame these will require those bulky speakon connectors. Matt black too

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
NS1000Ms won't budge of any stand unless you throw a wrecking ball towards them! Would be a great match with the valve amp too, as well as integrated grilles to protect drivers from cat claws!
One of my favourite speakers, but having stupidly shown my wife a tatty pair in person, they won’t get through the door.

Yes I believe a big old school BBC style bookshelf with a decent 'floorprint' on a low solid stand with outrigger feet is likely to resist all feline attacks. I use the sticky rubber stuff often used for car boots between my bulky jbl standmounts (similar in size to ns10) and stands and they don't shift at all .

If you don't want to get rid of your ls35A then a pair of rpos es14, Rogers ls6 or ls7 or spendor bc1 could fill the gap until your cat grows up calms down a bit! These remain good value second hand.

But of course it won't protect the speakers from cat claw damage.....😾🙀

Blutac ripped the veneer off my LS3/5s - take care.

Eeek! How much blutac was under the speakers? I only use enough to keep them immobile; just a tiny dot under each corner does the job. Did you twist them left & right little by little before gently lifting the speakers up?

Just to add, he doesn’t sit on the speaker, but uses it as a launching pad to sit on top of the records (it just gets better, doesn’t it?). The whole arrangement rocks from side to side alarmingly.

Any love for floorstanders? They don’t seem to get much love on forums. Lesser performance, or just unfashionable?
I would never consider bookshelf speakers. IMO their "openness" is inaccurate and just the result of not having any true bass capablity, same for the claims that they have "fast" bass etc. I expect my speakers to be able to produce sub 30hz bass minimum, which very few bookshelf speakers can manage (at least not modern ones). Plus on a purely practical point, I've never seen the point of them. They take up just as much floor space as a floor stander and stands are just awkward ugly dust traps IMO, so why? Contrary to most people I suspect, I actually find floor standers more aesthetically acceptable than bookshelf speakers on stands, irrespective of how fancy the stands.

Eeek! How much blutac was under the speakers? I only use enough to keep them immobile; just a tiny dot under each corner does the job. Did you twist them left & right little by little before gently lifting the speakers up?

Too much - a large pea size. There is a pair of Spender 3/1 ex dem for sale somewhere that have come to similar grief.

control the cat.
No need to be nasty but move the LPs so the speakers are no longer a jumping target.
Put rubber snakes on things the cat might jump on - it works!
Play with the cat to keep them otherwise occupied.
Make sure they have a space they can lie on above things- a nice tall cat tree.

Any thoughts about ESL 57 for @CTank ? I've never heard them but I'm curious to know if they have a similar timbre to his LS3/5a. And they're certainly floorstanders!

Very similar. They are like a bigger, better LS3/5A to my mind. Fabulous things, and I doubt the cat would be interested. They do need a fair bit of space though.

With those room dim's, forget ESLs and rear-ported (or even front ported) speakers. ProAc springs to mind as they go well with valves and are an easy load, and the models which have ports firing down might do the trick. Otherwise I.B. (sealed units like your LS3s which can back up to the wall. Naim's SBLs, e.g., but wrong tonal presentation, I'd guess, for those.

Until 3 years ago, have always had moggies, as still does a friend with ProAc Response 3As and Briks beforehand. We have both always covered our speakers with sheets when not being used and none of our respective felines has been a threat (6 to 8 cats over 25 years.

advertisement

Back