advertisement

Flat earth systems that really worked well

My very first proper stereo, from a decade-plus ago -- Rega Planet, Brio, RS1's. Shoulda stuck with; I've been chasing empty audiophile fantasies ever since.

My very first proper stereo, from a decade-plus ago -- Rega Planet, Brio, RS1's. Shoulda stuck with; I've been chasing empty audiophile fantasies ever since.
Had a DAC-R, Brio-R and RS1 system, regret selling the RS1 speakers, sold them on for £150, never did find a speaker that worked as well in the old house kitchen/diner. Regret not buying a Cursa/Exon/Dynaudio system when I had the chance at a cracking price a long while back.

Hi,

LP12/Ittok/Asak
Naim 12s/Snaps/250
DMS Isobariks

Then changed to
LP12/Ittok/Karma
Naim 12s (split/dual) Snaps (split/dual) three 250's
PMS Isobariks

Cheers

John

LP12/Ittok/Asak
Naim 12s/Snaps/250
DMS Isobariks

Then changed to
LP12/Ittok/Karma
Naim 12s (split/dual) Snaps (split/dual) three 250's
PMS Isobariks
Very nice!

Not financially possible but I wish I'd been able to keep each system I'd bought and make use of it in another room or something. Would have been nice to start from scratch but also keep the old one as a reference. Not easy with Briks though :)

Was Karma above Asak/Asaka then?

Hi,

Yes the Karma came after the Asak, think the Asaka came after the Karma, cannot remember.

The Trokia is the red bodied cartridge that came after the Karma had an extra hole for mounting on the Ittok, some think it is the greatest cartridge ever, I have to say I preferred the Supex SD900.

Cheers

John

When I auditioned the Troika I felt it wasn't good enough to trade in my nearly new Karma, but I only had an LP12/Ittok with 42.5/HiCap/250 so I may not have "got it".
When my Karma got tired I was disappointed with the Klyde.

Unmodified Technics 1200mk2 into Nait2 into Naim IBLs. Unfettered fun and life. I am amazed at how good it sounds despite the low cost and simplicity. A higher end CD player such as the Naim CD3 or CDS2 in the system somehow does not perform as well...

With a TT the 32.5/110 worked fine, when I tried using my Sony ES CD player it made for an unpleasant sound, too harsh. Was just a bit of a swap around, if longer term I'd have got some Rothwells in there to try out.

...I was disappointed with the Klyde.

Yes, me too; I tried one in a second system for a while. I never had a Karma, I went straight from an Asak T to a Troika. I have two at the moment, the original that I had from new, has an ESCO retip, and another is a goldring rebuild.

advertisement

Back