advertisement

Flat earth systems that really worked well

I can’t remember, does Rega qualify as a Flat Earth supplier? I recently tried out a Rega io in my system, and toe-tapping was not forthcoming...

I can’t remember, does Rega qualify as a Flat Earth supplier? I recently tried out a Rega io in my system, and toe-tapping was not forthcoming...
Yes, I would hope so, although sounds like you didn't have success.

The 1980s flat earth companies have become more rounded over the years.

Divorce meant Magnipan Typani 1B's had to go along with big SAE power amp. These were replaced by a Dynaco PAS-3X into a pair of Dynaco St-70's run as mono amps - into a Dynaco QD-1 Quadaptor -then onto a pair of Dynaco A-35's on the front and a pair of A-25 Dynaco's on the back. Thorens TD-125/II with a SME 3 arm.
The only excitement was the first time I powered this system on - I thought a squad car was runnin it's siren in front of my apartment. Turned out that sound was coming from my speakers -VERY EXCITING- powered down -thought about it for a little while and decided that not having the two power amps grounded to each other ??-ran a chassis ground between the two amps and it sounded really great-especially older Melodiya recordings would put you right into the Bolshoi Theater.

I have Mk1Kans and found that playing streamed music via a Naim Nova was just too harsh
Much more comfortable and enjoyable to play through 32.5 & 110 monoblocks
Horses for courses I think and maybe why Kans polarise opinion like they do.

Linn Genki, Wakonda, 2 LK 85 s Activ, Ninka, does it for me, but guess,what turntable? Denon DP 2500.
I was just going to ask if my system classes as flat earth, I guess it does... and it’s working pretty well for me!

AeQx0Tf.jpg

nakB6O7.jpg

I have Mk1Kans and found that playing streamed music via a Naim Nova was just too harsh
Much more comfortable and enjoyable to play through 32.5 & 110 monoblocks
Horses for courses I think and maybe why Kans polarise opinion like they do.
Not heard the Nova but that doesn't surprise me. The most well balanced I heard Kan 1s was with 32/SNAPS/250 fed by pre-Cirkus LP12/Valhalla/Ittok/K9.

Genki ?

Had one of those years ago. Not at all to my taste!

Certainly does something with timing, makes everything sound like it's being played on a barrel organ!

Flat with rounded off edges?
Aesthetically maybe... sonically, it’s very illuminating, you hear recordings warts n’ all, whether playing a CD, a Vinyl record or streaming. Great recordings sound amazing, poor ones sound poor... actually the Numerik DAC (really only retained for the TV) is good at glossing over iffy recordings, it does round the edges off but without making you feel like you’re missing anything. It’s very forgiving and a pretty underrated unit. The Ikemi on its own is better 90% of the time, but there are occasions where I prefer the Ikemi through the Numerik... think old classic pre-Cirkus LP12 vs modern LP12.

Genki ?

Certainly does something with timing, makes everything sound like it's being played on a barrel organ!
Strange, no barrel organ like sounds coming from my Genki, you sure yours was a cdp?

Genki ?

Why did you buy it then?

I quite liked the Genki, a little rough round the edges maybe but a genuinely fun listen, worked a treat through a Linn Majik/LK100 and Royd Sapphires... outclassed by the Ikemi, but the Ikemi was twice the price.

Aesthetically maybe... sonically, it’s very illuminating, you hear recordings warts n’ all, whether playing a CD, a Vinyl record or streaming. Great recordings sound amazing, poor ones sound poor...
I just meant that it probably has some round earth characteristics as well, such as more accurate timbre / tonality.

Nice pic - that's some rug!!

I bought it used on a recommendation as a suitable stop gap transport to front the original Chord Dac64.

As a standalone player it was very disappointing and seemed to totally destroy the natural timing of anything played on it. With hindsight it also wasn't very successful as a transport and I'd have been a lot better off with a used Meridian 500 for similar cost. It was retired from my system after a few months when the DVD32R I was waiting for became available - which ultimately retired in favour of a mediacentre PC. The DVD32R remains the most money losing thing I ever bought and was plagued by reliability issues, and in fact could have been bettered by a PC at he time I bought it, but nobody knew that back then!

Perhaps I just don't like "flat earth" front ends.

I just meant that it probably has some round earth characteristics as well, such as more accurate timbre / tonality.

Nice pic - that's some rug!!
Yes, you’re probably right, probably summed up in my description of how illuminating it is.

That rug was a birthday present from my best friend, it’s nice and soft under my feet too, and machine washable... I was looking for something posh and sophisticated but I actually really like this one!

I bought it used on a recommendation as a suitable stop gap transport to front the original Chord Dac64.

As a standalone player it was very disappointing and seemed to totally destroy the natural timing of anything played on it. With hindsight it also wasn't very successful as a transport and I'd have been a lot better off with a used Meridian 500 for similar cost. It was retired from my system after a few months when the DVD32R I was waiting for became available - which ultimately retired in favour of a mediacentre PC. The DVD32R remains the most money losing thing I ever bought and was plagued by reliability issues, and in fact could have been bettered by a PC at he time I bought it, but nobody knew that back then!

Perhaps I just don't like "flat earth" front ends.
Fair enough, it is a little hot footed, rather uncouth compared to Linn’s more expensive players, but much more tonally rich than a Mimik, I thought it was a great offering for the money... the Ikemi spanks it though, have a listen to one of those if you ever get a chance... you’ll either love it, or you won’t.

I do like the Orbe quite a lot by the way, stunning deck with an SME V onboard... but I do like a variety of kit for different reasons, which is why I tend to chop and change a lot in my second system. I have a Linn/Royd system in there that remains constant, but sometimes I like to sub bits out. I’d quite like to try some Primare kit in there again, maybe with some top notch Ruark speakers, I can see that working well!

I think my peak flat earth system was Sondek, Ekos, Troika, 42.5/110 Kans. I had a Nait but the 42.5/110 was another level.

I clearly remember the first time I heard Kans in a flat earth Sondek/Naim system in a Linn dealer somewhere in North London. I was mesmerized. Peter Gabriel, Humdrum. I had never heard anything like it.

In the end I came to the conclusion that the weak link was the Sondek and that there is more 'PRAT' available from more speed stable decks like Technics, Garrard or Well Tempered.

I still use Uphorik and active 242s though. It has been a lot of fun.

advertisement

Back