advertisement

First visit to a Gramophone [Hifi] shop for more than fifteen years ...

I've just dug out my Landon Ronald Beethoven 5, will give it a spin later. Cat no is D665, I don't have the posh album pictured above. From the catalogue number I'm guessing this is the earlier pre-electric version?

That will be the 1922 acoustic recording made at Hayes rather than Kingsway Hall where the 1926 performance was captured. It is very similar in conception, though cannot compete sonically with the later recording.

I have two discs from the 1926 set, but they are damaged beyond playable, and one must wander what happened to the missing discs!

Best wishes from George

PS: I am loving this thread! It was started to consider a modest second hand turnable, and has turned into something much more interesting for me!

I've just dug out my Landon Ronald Beethoven 5, will give it a spin later. Cat no is D665, I don't have the posh album pictured above. From the catalogue number I'm guessing this is the earlier pre-electric version?

1922 apparently so yes, pre-electric.

A gramophone is a record player, but is only one word. I do believe in the KISS principle. Keep it simple ... keep it clear.

My Exposure X says 'gram' on the selector knob of the phono path.
And if John Farlowe calls it Gramophone, it can't be wrong..? :)

Not to me anyways, I like it..

On another note..you choose the Project III for usage.
Nothing wrong with that ofc, but from a drive perspective, I'd be interested to try how far the Sony DD goes.
Some of those are really phantastic..is the Sony doing well and did you try that with a new-ish cart by chance..?
Edit: You covered that topic already, I hadn't noticed first..

Very nice story btw..

My Exposure X says 'gram' on the selector knob of the phono path.
And if John Farlowe calls it Gramophone, it can't be wrong..? :)

Not to me anyways, I like it..

On another note..you choose the Project III for usage.
Nothing wrong with that ofc, but from a drive perspective, I'd be interested to try how far the Sony DD goes.
Some of those are really phantastic..is the Sony doing well and did you try that with a new-ish cart by chance..?

Very nice story btw..

The Sony PS-T1 [direct drive] is going nowhere. When I can afford it, I'll get it out again and experiment with a new stylus, and checking the arm bearings etc. Just that the Project III is a good runner and the Ortofon stylus is cheaper than the Nagaoko in the Sony. I am fairly sure that the Sony needs the autostop return mechanism rebuilding as well. It works the same as what was on my first TT - a Sony PS-LX5, also DD.

That one occasionally made a slight knocking sound [once per rotation] at the very end of the side as the mechanism decides whether to lift and return the arm or not. Highly annoying on an extremely long side such the first side of the Eroica of Beethoven, which usually times a little bit longer than half an hour, unless the Funeral March is spread onto side two. I had a record like that nearly fifty years ago, and it is a hateful side break.

The advantage here of the Project is its very minimalism. No autostop. You have to lift and return the arm manually, though I am no longer brave enough or foolish enough to try without the aid of the manual arm lifter!

I was never happy to work the Naim Aro without the Aromatic arm lifter on a friend's LP12!

Best wishes from George

It's a spirited performance, interestingly the labels on my D668 fourth movement are swapped and a previous owner has corrected them in pencil. Sound quality wise it's a bit rough, does sound better on my main rig as opposed to the more period correct Columbia 117a. I think two lots of acoustic reproduction is perhaps a bit too much of a 'good' thing. Maybe I need an EMG :)

Klemperer is normally my go to for Beethoven, but have you heard Anima Eterna's versions?

I took the TT to the shop [in King Street by the Cathedral in Hereford] and they ordered the new tip ... Plus they will check the tracking weight with a scale and oil the bearing ...
Presumably HiFi Gear. They're extremely helpful and like good old-fashioned demos. I went there in September and it was like going into Radford's in Bristol in 1980. Plus there are two excellent cafes on the same street.

The advantage here of the Project is its very minimalism. No autostop. You have to lift and return the arm manually, though I am no longer brave enough or foolish enough to try without the aid of the manual arm lifter!

Can't remember a deck with an arm which lifts and returns at end of side. I did have a semi-automatic Garrard in the mid sixties but have never heard of am even vaguely audiophile deck where this happens. However, I can't remember ever chancing my arm (!) without a manual lifting device, whether cueing or lifting. Come to that, do any arms come without integrated lifters?. Okay, you may have need to add one in the old days, but now?

Can't remember a deck with an arm which lifts and returns at end of side. I did have a semi-automatic Garrard in the mid sixties but have never heard of am even vaguely audiophile deck where this happens. However, I can't remember ever chancing my arm (!) without a manual lifting device, whether cueing or lifting. Come to that, do any arms come without integrated lifters?. Okay, you may have need to add one in the old days, but now?

I have a Dual 1229 with an AT33mono on it for my mono Jazz records
that's actually really good.
The arm is better than it's looks suggest, being a 100% mechanical automatic idler,
it's not reaching into high end audiophile territory, but is doing really well as a package.

Depending on material it can challenge the LP12 in the drive-department which leads to rised eyebrows at times,
but in resolution it's sucking keel water from it's fluted companion..

Older swing records are an absolute home game for idlers for instance.

The new Supatrac Blackbird has no manual lifting device..and up to now I get along with it really well.
I'm chasing it though various challenges at the moment, due limited time I only get to arrange the occational shootout now and then & am not finished to a final conclusion how far it really goes.
But up to now it starts showing that it's a really good arm.
And the only one I'm ok with having no lifting/ cueing device.. :)

Over the last few days I have been utterly captivated by my newly acquired Project TT playing some great classical issues. Forty odd sides played over the last two or three days ...

Please forgive the length before I replied.

As it goes the system is rather fine, ... more than a bit surpassingly fine,

Are there faults ... for sure.

Are they significant ... for audiophiles, possibly.

Does this rather minimalist TT please ... well yes, ... and not just bit.

Enough for now.

Best wishes from George

The list of high quality ‘audiophile’ turntables with a degree of automation is longer than you might think.

It goes right to the top as well - the Sony PS-X9 is widely regarded as one of the finest turntables ever made, and it is semi automatic.

I have the new stylus! £49 for not only the tip but new Ortofon cartridge body. Plus a little service, oiling the bearing, and perfecting the tracking weight etc. So £69 for what is very nice little turntable now on the top line. Cosmetically clean so no disgrace.

Does the new tip sound better than the old one? Maybe ... maybe a bit smoother and clearer on the violins ... otherwise not anything to get hung about. Just playing the mono HMV LP of Moiseiwitsch playing the Rachmaninov Paganini Rhapsody with the Philharmonia and Hugo Rignold. Of course Hugo Rignold will ring few bells, but clearly he is in complete accord with the famously admirable soloist of whom Rachmaninov said, "I wish I could play like that!" And the Philharmonia is every bit the equal of the great American orchestras.

Very pleasing that this more than sixty year old disc is actually mint!

Happy bunny hear! Best wishes from George

Not mine as posting via FLICKR is a pain, but just the same.

Debut-III_medium.jpg

Last edited:
Over the last few days I have been utterly captivated by my newly acquired Project TT playing some great classical issues. Forty odd sides played over the last two or three days ...

Please forgive the length before I replied.

As it goes the system is rather fine, ... more than a bit surpassingly fine,

Are there faults ... for sure.

Are they significant ... for audiophiles, possibly.

Does this rather minimalist TT please ... well yes, ... and not just bit.

Enough for now.

Best wishes from George
It’s really about the music George. Forget audiophiles.

I have the new stylus! £49 for not only the tip but new Ortofon cartridge body. Plus a little service, oiling the bearing, and perfecting the tracking weight etc. So £69 for what is very nice little turntable now on the top line. Cosmetically clean so no disgrace.

Does the new tip sound better than the old one? Maybe ... maybe a bit smoother and clearer on the violins ... otherwise not anything to get hung about. Just playing the mono HMV LP of Moiseiwitsch playing the Rachmaninov Paganini Rhapsody with the Philharmonia and Hugo Rignold. Of course Hugo Rignold will ring few bells, but clearly he is complete accord with the famously admirable soloist of whom Rachmaninov said, "I wish I could play like that!" And the Philharmonia is every bit the equal of the great American orchestras.

Very pleasing that this more than sixty year old disc is actually mint!

Happy bunny hear! Best wishes from George

Not mine as posting via FLICKR is a pain, but just the same.

Debut-III_medium.jpg
Some choice music and artists there. Enjoy!

The new stylus is warming up. Now listening to the second of eight sides of the 1960 mono release of Mozart's Don Giovanni on EMI Columbia with CM Guilini. The records are mint [first pressings] and the sonic is simply lovely old school joy. The CD issue of this recording is from the stereo tapes and sounds rather poor in comparison. I have Klemperer's slightly later stereo CD, and that is very fine, but Guilini is just as much a master in this music and that is what counts!

So pleased to get good, and un-spectacular LP replay going again to let me listen to the wealth of LPs I was lucky to have been given. Some of them I would have bought new if I had been about at the time!

Best wishes from George

If you want to give your Project TT a lift in how it sounds, you could upgrade to an OM10 or OM20 Stylus next time around. Depends on your budget but they would certainly show a marked improvement. My son had one and fitted an OM20 Stylus, sounded really, really good indeed.

Dear Alun,

I know about the Ortofon OM series. In 1990 I bought a Dual three speed turntable with an OM 20 on it as an upgrade to the standard fitment OM 10. Amazing that the series continues to be competitive at its price points.

The shop wanted me to buy the OM 10 for the Project III, but as I had already found the old OM 5 was good enough, I declined!

Unlike most people I am more than willing to be happy if something is good enough. In this way I can be contented with quite modest home music replay, be it from local storage streaming, VHF/FM wireless or now LPs again.

I am so delighted to have access to some really nice recordings that otherwise I would probably never have the chance to listen to. I am not a great enthusiast for vinyl discs, but at their best they can be rather good.

Best wishes from George

PS: I have heard several truly high end turntables over the years, and though I could admire the quality on offer, I rather thought to myself that, for the money, I could have gone to hundreds of real concerts. When people discuss say the new Naim Solstice for a reported £16,000, I think of concert tickets for £30 and know which would make for a more special occasion!

I have heard several truly high end turntables over the years, and though I could admire the quality on offer, I rather thought to myself that, for the money, I could have gone to hundreds of real concerts. When people discuss say the new Naim Solstice for a reported £16,000, I think of concert tickets for £30 and know which would make for a more special occasion![/QUOTE]

I am totally sympathetic to your sentiments George. This is how I now think. I’ve spent time and very little money really getting my system where I want it to be. I want it to be good enough to enjoy the range of musical treasures that I own.I’m now at the stage where I am buying music again. I did tweak a little as I wanted MM/MC capability and I wanted a lttle more from FM. I’m now very happy and look forward to getting up every morning to listen to R3. I’m cleaning my vinyl and listening to my collection of cassettes. I’m also rehousing my CDs into folders for easier storage and access. Moved on to just listening now and feel very at ease with the reproduction.
And music is a special occasion. God bless those composers and their magnificent gifted legacies.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back