advertisement

Finally heard Harbeths

Yes I agree. In my experience Spendors are more musical and lively than Harbeths. The latter are very good speakers mind you, but to my ears they are a boring listen over a prolonged period.

I have never understood how a speaker can be 'boring.'
The music, yes.
The speaker, no.

I listen to my music on Spendors and Harbeths and the essence of the music
comes over on both.

The music, yes.
The speaker, no.

comes over on both.

Absolutely agree with you on this... Just could not understand how a speaker can get boring after some time if you put on good music....

Gents,

Let's not get carried away with the terms that are commonly used to describe hifi speakers or components. We tend to exaggerate things when we describe about certain hifi gear especially the components that we dislike. In some cases, it may be just a deliberate remark made in jest. I used to be overly critical about certain components or brands that I regard as bad, but through the years I have toned down my approach. I recall a remark which I made several years ago "the LFD (or NVA) integrated shot the ARC LS16/Plinius SA-100Mk3 separates to pieces". I have also referred to the Arcam amp as a dead fish on several occasions. It can be hilarious recalling what I have written in the past. Folks can get overly enthusiastic at times.

I can understand that people can get perturbed by negative comments on the gear that they own. Nonetheless, I don't get too critical these days. I see many amusing, bordering comical remarks on Naim gear here on this forum(I happen to own some Naim amps) and somehow don't get affected by these comments. Perhaps I have seen too much and am already immune to them. Ditto the Harbeth or any other gear that I own.

Gents,

Let's not get carried away with the terms that are commonly used to describe hifi speakers or components. We tend to exaggerate things when we describe about certain hifi gear especially the components that we dislike. In some cases, it may be just a deliberate remark made in jest. I used to be overly critical about certain components or brands that I regard as bad, but through the years I have toned down my approach. I recall a remark which I made several years ago "the LFD (or NVA) integrated shot the ARC LS16/Plinius SA-100Mk3 separates to pieces". I have also referred to the Arcam amp as a dead fish on several occasions. It can be hilarious recalling what I have written in the past. Folks can get overly enthusiastic at times.

I can understand that people can get perturbed by negative comments on the gear that they own. Nonetheless, I don't get too critical these days. I see many amusing, bordering comical remarks on Naim gear here on this forum(I happen to own some Naim amps) and somehow don't get affected by these comments. Perhaps I have seen too much and am already immune to them. Ditto the Harbeth or any other gear that I own.

OK, point taken, but don't forget comments influence people.

To some, you only need a pair of LS3/5as when it comes to speakers, or a Naim amplifier.
Nothing else will do.

Our interest is in music.
Well it ought to be...

Listen to components and make a choice.
I did, and so did the majority of Forum members I suspect.

MARTYN.

OK, point taken, but don't forget comments influence people.

To some, you only need a pair of LS3/5as when it comes to speakers, or a Naim amplifier.
Nothing else will do.

Our interest is in music.
Well it ought to be...

Listen to components and make a choice.
I did, and so did the majority of Forum members I suspect.

MARTYN.
The one thing that unites everyone on a hifi forum is an unhealthy tendency to attribute the good and the bad in a musical experience to the kit it's being played on.

I thought the thing that unifies everyone on a hi-fi forum was an unhealthy tendency to worry that someone disagrees with your opinion or experience.

Well, lemme say that if you disagree with my opinion or experience I will repeat it until you're convinced I'm right. I expect no less from you. First one to stop posting loses.

Joe

Sorry, but I don't understand the comparison between Klipsch Cornwall and BBC monitors like Harbeth compact 7 es or Spendor sp 2/3 r2.
Just look at their dimensions, efficiency, etc...

The music, yes.
The speaker, no.

comes over on both.

You don't understand how a speaker can be boring?

Ah. Okay.

I don't understand how a woman can be bad in bed. Presuming there's enough lubrication, the essence of coitus comes across.

You don't understand how a speaker can be boring?

Ah. Okay.

I don't understand how a woman can be bad in bed. Presuming there's enough lubrication, the essence of coitus comes across.
My little E-IXs must be LBFMs by your reckoning then. :D

Sorry, but I don't understand the comparison between Klipsch Cornwall and BBC monitors like Harbeth compact 7 es or Spendor sp 2/3 r2.
Just look at their dimensions, efficiency, etc...

There's as much or more to be learned comparing an apple to an orange as there is in comparing a Castellana orange to a Fukuhara.

James,

I have no idea what those four letters are supposed to stand for, but your E-IX's were bloody fantasic.

And they gave great everything.

Best,

Glickman

Oh dear.
I looked up LBFM.
I wish I hadn't...

This sort of thing is not needed on an audio discussion Forum.
Please can we get back to the essence of this discussion.

My little E-IXs must be LBFMs by your reckoning then. :D

You might be better of with these, if that's your thing:
1011vivid.1.jpg

The music, yes.
The speaker, no.

comes over on both.

Depends on the room and the speaker's ability to portray dynamics with the given amplifier power - I think. Easy for me to make a system sound boring and less involving in the appreciation of the music played Martyn.

I cannot overstress the impact of the room on the final sound in my experience. I've now heard three pairs of my speakers in three different rooms and they sound almost totally different in each one :( One example is my Rogers LS5/9's, which sound almost turgid in the mid-bass with a one-note tweeter in my rooms, yet lively and clear, with just a hint of hf rawness in another totally different environment.

advertisement

Back