advertisement

Finally heard Harbeths

You might be better of with these, if that's your thing:
1011vivid.1.jpg

The speaker seems to be presenting its rear to the room. :eek:

Depends on the room and the speaker's ability to portray dynamics with the given amplifier power - I think. Easy for me to make a system sound boring and less involving in the appreciation of the music played Martyn.

I cannot overstress the impact of the room on the final sound in my experience. I've now heard three pairs of my speakers in three different rooms and they sound almost totally different in each one :( One example is my Rogers LS5/9's, which sound almost turgid in the mid-bass with a one-note tweeter in my rooms, yet lively and clear, with just a hint of hf rawness in another totally different environment.

But swapping boxes or kit is so much more fun than correcting a room. ;)

But swapping boxes or kit is so much more fun than correcting a room. ;)

I give you that one :D

A long time ago now, I visited a chap who was sales manager (semi retired) for a firm we dealt with. he also made speakers as a past time and had a professionally treated tandem-garage (double length) to demonstrate them in. The speakers played in the more live end and the listener sat in a slightly more dead-sounding end, as you do in a concert hall with full audience. The best speakers sounded great as always, but what shocked me was how fantastic the cheapo boxes were (Heybrooks from memory) and I remember thinking I'd never heard them sound this good.

Oh dear.
I looked up LBFM.
I wish I hadn't...

This sort of thing is not needed on an audio discussion Forum.
Please can we get back to the essence of this discussion.

Arrgh, so did I.

Apologies for my use of the word "boring'', what I meant was they were not involving enough to hold my attention.

I know I should not not discuss with fanboys, but why should a SP2/3R2 be more dynamic than a Compact 7? Can you verify this with facts? Otherwise it is only your opinion.

Have you listen to a Cornwall for a longer period? The Cornwall can play a Jazz Trio or a solo piano in realistic size and are far more close in dynamic than every Harbeth or Spendor can. Big drivers, high efficiency vs. natural timbre.

What kind of proof do you need / expect?
I've had an opportinity to listen to both of them at the same time, same room, same system, same music... For me, Spendor is better speaker then Harbeth in almost every aspect.

About Cornwall and BBC designs... I think you're trying to compare incomparable.

I'll take your Nexus and raise you a controversial Celestion SL6.

I'll see your SL6's, James' Nexus', the other bloke's Chesters' (all good nominees for f*cking boring speakers, mind you), and raise you all....some original Maggies.

Or Vandersteen 7's.

No wait. Acoustats. Yeah. That's the ticket. Acoustats. Next Stop--Snooze fest.

Did someone actually have a problem with referring to LBFM's as being "off topic"? (I looked it up. I'd say the E-IX's were somewhere between an LBFM and, what I always imagined a supple, taught, oversexed ballet dancer on her week off would be like).....

Sorry to tell you guys this but, it's a stereo forum. Pigs welcome.

Did someone actually have a problem with referring to LBFM's as being "off topic"? (I looked it up. I'd say the E-IX's were somewhere between an LBFM and, what I always imagined a supple, taught, oversexed ballet dancer on her week off would be like).....
I can see how you get along so well with vuk.

:cool:

I've had an opportinity to listen to both of them at the same time, same room, same system, same music... For me, Spendor is better speaker then Harbeth in almost every aspect.
You say it, there is no proof, it is your taste!
BTW: You really listened to a "Harbeth HL Compact 7"?
I don't mean a Compact 7 ES3!;)

About Cornwall and BBC designs... I think you're trying to compare incomparable.

me said:
If you like to hear speakers that grab you buy the balls and play powerfull tight bass, you have to look for maybe a Klipsch Cornwall, if tonality, timbre, realistic stage size is your goal, go for Harbeth.

I didn't compare you wrote this:
But I you want both, you should take a chance on Spendor SP2/3 R2. Sunning speakers, great allrounders.

and that isn't true.:p

I have no problem if you prefer the Spendor, but you wrote it like it is a fact.:)

I can see how you get along so well with vuk.

:cool:

Oh we definitely get along, just have very different styles.

"yeah-yeah...photography...I'm a photographer...sss--tteee--p into my....my...mymymy....studio.....Just do exxxactly as I say....hehehe....hehheheh...." (inscruitable blank stare).....

Joe, come on. This is gold.

After years of thinking 'I'm sure I'd like those' I finally heard a two setups with P3's at the WiGWam show and loved the sound...definitely where I'm going next once I raise the readies

Couldn't see what all the fuss was about as Google kept giving me "London Festival of Baroque Music" & some Mexican politician.

But then I typed it correctly... my goodness, quite a fruity crowd we have here...

hi
so you heard side by side harbeth c7es3 and spendor SP2/3R2? could you expand more on your thoughts and impressions!

I'd be interested to hear some Harbeths before taking the active route. As far as I can tell at a quick glace, their 'studio' and domestic models are the same apart from the finish?

Alex

advertisement

Back