advertisement

Films where the acting and direction defy expectations

What about Saving Private Ryan and other earlier roles? I saw Otto the other day. Lovely in some ways, but slight and a little mawkish towards the end I thought. He’s been very fine for a long time now.
Never got on with Saving Private Ryan. Yes, the opening beach landing sequence is jaw dropping, but quickly tails off after that into a conventional goodies vs baddies war film’ for me anyway.

Never got on with Saving Private Ryan. Yes, the opening beach landing sequence is jaw dropping, but quickly tails off after that into a conventional goodies vs baddies war film’ for me anyway.
I hated the sentimental bookends but Hanks lifted the quality of the film greatly.

Everyone goes on about the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan when the battle at the end is infinitely more gripping.

Adam Sandler is great in the suffocatingly brilliant Uncut Gems.

Everyone goes on about the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan when the battle at the end is infinitely more gripping.

Adam Sandler is great in the suffocatingly brilliant Uncut Gems.

tried Uncut Gems but it didn’t work for either of us.

I don't care for Tarantino movies - style (and shock) over substance. However I really enjoyed "Jackie Brown".
Same here. He’s a really talented bloke with an amazing knowledge of cinema though. Just not my cuppa.
Private Ryan: just the first half hour, then boring.

Hamburger Hill gets my vote....

It's rough, gritty and to the point.

It was released close to Platoon and Full Metal Jacket but was the most realistic of the lot

If you haven't seen it, watch it

Dead Man's shoes - brilliant. Just watched it again. Will watch those other Considine ones mentioned, don't think I've seen any of them..

Looks interesting too - thanks for the recommendations.

Watched this Thursday - what an incredible film! A classic film if ever there was one.

I don't care for Tarantino movies - style (and shock) over substance. However I really enjoyed "Jackie Brown".
I love Tarantino, funnily enough though Jackie Brown is my favourite movie of his... over time the others have faded a little in my estimations, but JB just stands the test of time... it's the most dialled down of his movies if you know what I mean, and the characterisation is better as a result... still has its QT moments though.

advertisement

Back