advertisement

Films where the acting and direction defy expectations

Still think Loach is mostly awful, Kes & Poor Cow are excellent though. I just hate the way he portrays the working class.

Kes is his best film, yes (although the book is better). Land and Freedom is decent enough - and it is very good on the rotten politics of the Spanish Stalinists vs POUM (largely because the writer, Jim Allen, was an anti-Stalinist leftist) - although its style and form are uninspiring to me. The other Loach films I've seen have been pretty dire. And his politics have got steadily worse over the years.

It's all in the directing and directors have good and bad films.
Even the greatest actors and actresses can be badly directed and have a lemon, but when it all comes together?
I know it's not a 'great film', byt Dustin Hoffman's directing debut, 'Quartet' is well done.

Conversely, the critics adore Mike Leigh for his open honest look at 'normal' life, but I only see the performance...and, in the case of Secrets and lies, 2 hours 12 of relentless misery, followed by about 2 minutes of smiles.

Naked was a formidable film (despite the accusations of flagrant misogyny) - David Thewlis was exceptional in his acrid portrayal of rancid nihilism.
Other than that, most Leigh films bore me to tears.

Loach recycles the same melodramatic ticks time after time after time after time .... but Cathy come Home and Kes remain masterworks IMV.
Wes Anderson is good fun ....

Paddington Bear here, 1 the better so far imo.
Awaiting 3, trip to the cinema beckons. Love an afternoon film at the cinema, 1/2 price for us.

Used to hate Peter Greenaway - then one day I must have come down with something ... after that I found all his films brilliant, especially the early shorts.

The Banshees of Inisherin has a wonderful cast. Suberbly directed by Martin Mcdonagh. Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson are great but Barry Keoghan is fantastic!

Stellan Skarsgard and Andy Serkis in Andor are brilliant. As is Fiona Shaw - but she’s good in everything)… Andor is mostly written and directed by Tony and Dan Gilroy (Michael Clayton, the Bourne films amongst others) who do an amazing job of turning Star Wars into a gripping adult drama.

The Banshees of Inisherin has a wonderful cast. Suberbly directed by Martin Mcdonagh. Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson are great but Barry Keoghan is fantastic!

Truly a film that defied expectations when we went to see it ...
We expected much having thoroughly enjoyed In Bruges - but left disappointed, mainly the utterly dark but thoroughly predictable series of events.

Great acting, great direction, beautiful and haunting imagery ... but dull script. Obviously a minority opinion judging by the plaudits and nominations.

Give me Aki Kaurismäki anyday for dark and dismal comedy....

Truly a film that defied expectations when we went to see it ...
We expected much having thoroughly enjoyed In Bruges - but left disappointed, mainly the utterly dark but thoroughly predictable series of events.

Great acting, great direction, beautiful and haunting imagery ... but dull script. Obviously a minority opinion judging by the plaudits and nominations.

Give me Aki Kaurismäki anyday for dark and dismal comedy....

I preferred In Bruges but I didn’t find Banshees at all dull. It was great!

I enjoyed ‘Drifting Clouds’ many years ago…

One of my favourite American films of recent years was ‘Can you ever forgive me’. Melissa McCarthy’s utterly convincing alcoholic literary forger with writer’s block and Richard E Grant’s flagrant rechanneling of Withnail as a louche gay derelict made a mesmerising double act and a fabulous film.

Not what you’d expect from McCarthy at all.

3188.jpg

Paddy Considine in pretty much anything, especially Dead Man's Shoes and A Room For Romeo Brass.

Loved those two. Also thought his scene stealing performance in the excellent Richard Ayoade film, 'Submarine', was fantastic. 'Le Donk & Scor-Zay-Zee' is worth a watch, too, though a bit different from other Meadows/Considine films.

advertisement

Back