advertisement

Films/Movies, Old & New - Recommendations and Reviews

Just watched "Love and Mercy" and rather enjoyed it. I was in secondary school/university when the Beach Boys were popular, and I knew the basic outline of the story of Brian Wilson's rise, fall and rise again, the last-named courtesy of his second (and very recently deceased) second wife, who was instrumental in extracting him from the clutches of a crank psychiatrist who had taken over his life. Paul Dano as the young Brian Wilson is terrific, capturing all the complexity of Wilson and his musical vision, which his band mates and his record company didn't share - Mike Love at one point shouting about Pet Sounds, "There isn't a single hit on this album!" I found John Cusack as the older Brian not so convincing.

I guess that, because photos and even some videos of Brian in the studio with The Wrecking Crew exist, the reconstruction of the sessions is impressively accurate, to the extent of employing real musicians and not actors - the person playing the part of famous bass player Carol Kaye was apparently a real female bass player.

Watched the latest Mission Impossible the other night. Harmless, spectacular, amusing nonsense that requires no effort to try to comprehend the fig-leaf of a plot, which seems only to be there to join up the spectacular action scenes. And they are, especially the now-famous one of Cruise jumping a motor bike off a cliff (which he apparently really did - it seems that these films are an exercise in seeing what he can try next to kill himself).

My initial reaction was, "My goodness, even Tom Cruise gets older". The face is still distinctly Cruisish, but maturer Cruisish. Mind you, If I'd looked half that good at 61, I'd have been over the Moon. And he still seems to spend lots of time running furiously or riding motor biles furiously, but I wonder whether this is all coming to an end. Apparently this latest film and its follow-up were made together, the follow-up (as yet untitled) to be released next year. End of the MI road? This mission, Tom, if you accept it...

Yes, I’m sure I saw an interview with him where he admitted he was too old to carry on with these stunts.

Watched the latest Mission Impossible the other night. Harmless, spectacular, amusing nonsense that requires no effort to try to comprehend the fig-leaf of a plot, which seems only to be there to join up the spectacular action scenes. And they are, especially the now-famous one of Cruise jumping a motor bike off a cliff (which he apparently really did - it seems that these films are an exercise in seeing what he can try next to kill himself).

My initial reaction was, "My goodness, even Tom Cruise gets older". The face is still distinctly Cruisish, but maturer Cruisish. Mind you, If I'd looked half that good at 61, I'd have been over the Moon. And he still seems to spend lots of time running furiously or riding motor biles furiously, but I wonder whether this is all coming to an end. Apparently this latest film and its follow-up were made together, the follow-up (as yet untitled) to be released next year. End of the MI road? This mission, Tom, if you accept it...
A few months ago we were walking round Buttermere in the Lake District very early one morning and noticed helicopters buzzing round, and that a big encampment had sprung up at the top end of the lake. We got stopped on our way by a nice young American chap who introduced himself as one of the crew filming the latest Mission Impossible and explained Mr Cruise was doing several stunt parachute descents.

We waited as Tom, followed by a couple of cameramen on chutes, came zooming closely overhead doing an incredible speed and to our eyes dangerously close to the rocks, having leaped off the top of the fell. He landed by the lake, gave us a wave, and jumped into a helicopter to go back up for another go. The crew member told us he'd done twenty jumps so far.

When the film came out we watched almost to the end, when Tom jumps off a crashed train, and we recognised Buttermere. The sequence lasted maybe five seconds at most…

dCNzhpp.jpg

We watched Tremors (1990) yesterday - via amazon prime.

I had managed to avoid this film due to an irrational dislike of Kevin Bacon, his nose and Footloose (another film that I avoid)
But, we noticed that the film was only 1hr. 30 mins. long and looked like it didn’t require too much thought.

It was refreshingly straightforward in direction, absent of C.G.I. the special effects were far better than we expected for a B-Movie Soft Horror. The casting we thought was spot on, many of the actors are familiar even if their names don’t immediately come to mind.
I am not sure that we will ever dip into the follow on films (there are six! ) but there is more entertainment value in Tremors than we thought. Fast paced, shot in a visually pleasing location and a few funny lines.

I saw "Monster" (Kore-eda) a couple of days ago. I know I go on about his films, but anyway this is another very good one though untypical in some ways (no spoilers). As always I was knocked sideways by the love and care for humanity he shows us through his characters. The score is by Ryuichi Sakamoto - must be one of his last works.

Bu**er, Blood Simple is one of my fave movies, wathched it umpteen times but not recently, guessing it'll be shown again soon.

RIP - MEW

I have Blood Simple (and a feŵ other Coen brothers films) on DvD.
A superb early Coen Bros. film and I am waiting for the Granddaughters to be old enough to watch it with me.

watched this again, stunning scenery . i noticed the Delai lama still wears similar glasses in Palins Himalaya interview

We saw it a while ago. Great film. We think Sicario 2 is a better film, but both worth the time.

Just watched Sicario. I was tempted to jump ship many times but saw it through. Almost no discernible dialogue, zero depth of character, plot almost impossible to follow. Just completely empty. Like a lot of pretentious Hollywood films it attempted to look deep and serious, but however you dress up an empty film it remains just as empty. I was angry with myself for wasting time on it. IMDb gives it 7.7. I'd give it 6.0.

Last Orders on Disney+ some great acting by some fine actors.

Great story too.

Also watched Top Gun Maverick on More 4 a load of rubbish but a decent watch for a Saturday night, the flight scenes are amazing though.

We watched Tremors (1990) yesterday - via amazon prime.

I had managed to avoid this film due to an irrational dislike of Kevin Bacon, his nose and Footloose (another film that I avoid)
But, we noticed that the film was only 1hr. 30 mins. long and looked like it didn’t require too much thought.

It was refreshingly straightforward in direction, absent of C.G.I. the special effects were far better than we expected for a B-Movie Soft Horror. The casting we thought was spot on, many of the actors are familiar even if their names don’t immediately come to mind.
I am not sure that we will ever dip into the follow on films (there are six! ) but there is more entertainment value in Tremors than we thought. Fast paced, shot in a visually pleasing location and a few funny lines.

There are seven. First four is interesting, last three just plain stupid, waste of time.

advertisement

Back