advertisement

Films/Movies, Old & New - Recommendations and Reviews

'If The Streets Were On Fire' on iPlayer (part of Storyville):
It's about 'BikeStormz', a movement of bicycle riders, and what happens when a community-organised initiative to take kids out of gang culture comes up against officialdom (Met Police, councillors). In the words of one of the young men in the film, 'people just don't get it'. #KnivesDownBikesUp

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45157728

If you’re a fan of Manga, The Rurouni Kenshin films on Netflix is a fantastic series based on the comics. Great fun! If bit confusingly titled, in my humble opinion despite the last film release called beginningsi, it should be watched after their first three released titles( origins, Kyoto inferno & the legend ends), but before the one titled the final.

I have seen this twice so far. ‘Old Dads’ (2023) Netflix

Closest thing to a funny film that I have seen for a while.
Verging on being heartwarming in places.
Definitely not heartwarming in other places.
The Wife liked it as well.
Contains some swearing and semi dressed women, but don’t let that put you off…

Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead (2023) Netflix - Japanese/subtitles - a English dubbed version is available, but it sucks compared to the original.

A Japanese zombie film.
If that isn’t enough, there is a shark in it.
What I enjoyed was the anti-Salaryman backstory and the insight into Japanese society. The zombies are pretty good, and differ a little to others of the genre.
Funny more than anything horror.

I can recommend Dark Winds.
Available now on Virgin. There's a second series but not available yet and a third is in the pipeline.

try and keep this thread to films please - there is another thread that covers series! muchos gracias

try and keep this thread to films please - there is another thread that covers series! muchos gracias

Sorry!

On a more popular board films and TV are combined, contributors don't care about the difference.
A lot of films can be bought to watch on TV and other films can only be seen on TV.

The Dig (Netflix) based on the Sutton Hoo excavation of an Anglo-Saxon burial ship in 1939. Redolent of an era of class, manners and simpler rural living (perhaps imaginary) that some of us feel we just about caught the end of.
Brilliant performance by Ralph Fiennes as the amateur ‘excavator’ whose work led to the discovery of the treasure. A welcome change from the multitude of Mafia, Cops and Robbers, weird sci-fi and other dystopian stuff that seems to abound these days.

advertisement

Back