advertisement

Favourite Producers

forgot to mention Jim O Rourke

and Jim Scott (whiskeytown)

and ethan johns(he did my favorite ryan adams albums)..and a modern masterpiece- Ray Lamontagne- till the sun turns black

and george massenburg

Great thread!

I used to like Eno but the bands he works with these days are so pretentious and overwrought it makes me think that one day he will reveal he was doing it as some kind of ironic conceptual art piece.

My vote goes to Trevor Horn. FGTH, Propaganda, Art of Noise, ABC, Pet Shop Boys, er, Belle and Sebastian... His productions have a wonderfully rich, layered sound that oozes quality.

Damian

George Martin did some wonderful work with Peter Sellers. Anyone know whose idea this was ?

[youtube]-rOEp5ICXOU&feature=fvst[/youtube]

and here with Sellers sounding posher than Brian Sewell:

[youtube]q7-YrHUecHQ[/youtube]

How do you choose one Holland-Dozier-Holland production ? This is mine and I always just concentrate on Robert White's morse code guitar:

Sinatra and Riddle, 50:50

Last edited by a moderator:
Teddy Ray; dude no phil spector?? I didnt post him because I thought someone would surely beat me to it..

It's like a discussion on who are the best running backs of all time. Everyone knows OJ Simpson should be included, but no one wants to mention him.

Ally

Teddy Ray; dude no phil spector?? I didnt post him because I thought someone would surely beat me to it..

It's like a discussion on who are the best running backs of all time. Everyone knows OJ Simpson should be included, but no one wants to mention him.

Ally

haha, fair point i reckon!

Hmm!

I know he sees his job as just recording the music but his recordings certainly have a distinctive sound. Google 'Albini drum sound' :)

BTW if you haven't heard these you might find this shelved Fugazi Albini session interesting http://www.buzzfeed.com/pajaroentertainmentltd/steve-albinis-fugazi-mixes-31ii
A drum sound like that would be a gift to any musician, but it's not the same as writing, arranging, playing or directing a performance in the way far more interventionist producers do.

But, yeah, the very act of recording raw and dry does impose a signature sound.

Cheers for the link too, Paul.

advertisement

Back