advertisement

Favourite Producers

JamesJamerson

pfm Member
Songs where you feel the contribution of the producer was at least the equal of the artists:

Richard Perry

Gamble & Huff:

[youtube]Ll3uipTO-4A[/youtube]

Willie Mitchell:

Norman Whitfield:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a tough one! The one that comes to mind for me is Steven Wilson for the job he did on Opeths Blackwater Park, amazing sound and direction on that album

Bob Ezrin: Billion Dollar Babes and Peter Gabriel's first solo album. While maybe not equal on the later he certainly made his mark.

Oh and not forgetting that other geezer who worked with them there scousers.

Chris Blackwell

Mike Hedges
[youtube]Oh4tN-sX0-k[/youtube]

Martin Hannett

Conny Plank

Can

Daniel Lanois

Mitch Easter

Rob Schnapf

Steve Albini

Tucker Martine

Phil Ek

Peter Katis
Not sure about that, Steve Albini's raison d'etre is to leave as minimal mark of his own on proceedings as he possibly can.

To actually enter into the spirit of the OP's provocation, rather than peel off a list of producers; How about Teo Macero's work with Miles, for a specific track - In A Silent Way.

Frankie - Trevor Horn (edit Two Tribes is way better than Relax)

Martin Hannett definitely comes to mind, his ability to lay down instruments in layers that made each individual instrument stand out makes me smile each time i listen to his music. IMPO i think he was a great man and a major part of the success behind the band Joy Division...... I often wonder what system he listened to his music on. Oooooh maybe another thread there.
Ian.

Frankie - Trevor Horn (edit Two Tribes is way better than Relax)

I was going to mention Mr Horn too.

Although from what I hear it was his engineer Steve Lipson that did the real hard slog production work. Trevor would map out the 'Grand Picture' and then leave the engineers to execute it.

Don't forget Stock, Aitken and Waterman. Not to my taste but there was a time when they shaped the charts and provided a soundtrack to the youth of their era.

advertisement

Back